1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Informal Poll: brought on by the rash of tuxedo questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by new obsession, Apr 6, 2006.

1. new obsession

new obsession Senior Member

Just curious...

I will presume that everyone wears braces with a Tuxedo, and spare you that. Wing versus lay down collar does not interest me, as I think either one is interchangeable with any combination of items. Midnight Blue versus Black is probably a function of how many Tuxedos you own or have bought, and how impervious you are to other people saying "hey, your tux is blue [insert ignorant comment here]"...

But I am curious about the collars/lapels SF members wear, and the corresponding vest/cummerbund they choose with these...

2. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

My tuxedo is RTW and it has (GASP!) notch lapels, but I wear it about once a year, so it's not too important to me. When I get around to ordering a custom tux it will have peak lapels and I'll wear it with a custom cummerbund.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

SB, 3-button, Dupioni silk with satin peak lapel.

[​IMG]

SB, 2-button, cashmere with grosgrain peak lapel.

[​IMG]

DB, 6x1 button, wool with satin peak lapel.

[​IMG]

4. Etienne

Etienne Distinguished Member

My tux is a DB RTW affair (Pierre Cardin).

And I just realized how many acronyms we routinely use here (though some of the most useful, such as IBSAABA or TRJCHAP never caught on).

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

As much as I love vests, for this purpose I have to go with the classic peaked lapel, cummerbund.

6. Aureus

Aureus Senior Member

When I acquire mine, it will be a single breasted, single button, peak lapel.

7. new obsession

Why so little love for the shawl? Wow.

8. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior Member

Does anyone still wear a cummerbund?

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Does anyone still wear a cummerbund?
    If you look at the poll results, the majority of people here do!

10. topcatny

topcatny Distinguished Member

I wear a Brooks Brothers notch lapel w/ a vest most of the time. Occasionally I wear the cummerbund instead of the vest, it depends on my mood. Like chorse123, I wear my tuxedo infrequently so I am not very concerned that it has notch lapels. However, when I replace it I will buy a SB peaked lapel.

11. Joseph Casazza

Joseph Casazza Member

The midnight blue one I own is shawl collar, one button, of course, which I wear with cummerbund, but I also have a white double breasted shawl collar dinner jacket, which I wear with neither vest nor cummerbund. When I replace the worn out peak lapel single breasted, I will undoubtedly wear it with a white vest.

12. new obsession

See, shawl collars work wonders for some....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Distinguished Member

Oxxford - Black Worsted / SB Dinner Suit / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Oxxford - Black Worsted / DB Dinner Suit / 4x1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - White Shantung (Dupioni) / SB Dinner Jacket / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - Oxford Gray Cashmere Herringbone Morning Suit / 1 Button cutaway w/Swallowtails / Peak Lapels

Hickey Freeman - Black Worsted SB Dinner Suit / 2 Button / NOTCH LAPELS w/Grosgrain / You are reading correctly: "NOTCH LAPELS". The shame and horror! [​IMG]

I just can't bring myself to wear a shawl lapel jacket. It looks fine on some fellows, but not in my mirror.

There are far too many waistcoats-in-waiting. Most of the "fancies" went from the store to the closet and remained there. It seems I usually wear only the black or gray or white waistcoats. The story is the same for many of the fancy cummerbunds and their goofy matching bowties. Two ascots have a splash of color. Only the black and white bowties see any active duty.

The two pairs of white braces are different. One has white leather ends. The other has white corded-silk ends.

The shirt collars are fixed-wing, detachable wing, and fold-over. Some shirts are plain front, some pleated front, some pleated-bib, and some pique-bib. Most of the shirts are fine poplin or linen. The shirt cuffs are primarily straight link cuffs. Some of the cuffs are fold-over for links.

Various opera pumps (pinched or no-bow) and formal lace-ups in polished calf and patent, as well as a felt top hat and some gloves complete the jumble acquired over nearly thirty years. Everything still fits, although . . . most of the trouser waistbands did require some easing!
    [​IMG]

14. new obsession

Oxxford - Black Worsted / SB Dinner Suit / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Oxxford - Black Worsted / DB Dinner Suit / 4x1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - White Shantung (Dupioni) / SB Dinner Jacket / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - Oxford Gray Cashmere Herringbone Morning Suit / 1 Button cutaway w/Swallowtails / Peak Lapels

Hickey Freeman - Black Worsted SB Dinner Suit / 2 Button / NOTCH LAPELS w/Grosgrain / You are reading correctly: "NOTCH LAPELS". The shame and horror! [​IMG]

I just can't bring myself to wear a shawl lapel jacket. It looks fine on some fellows, but not in my mirror.

There are far too many waistcoats-in-waiting. Most of the "fancies" went from the store to the closet and remained there. It seems I usually wear only the black or gray or white waistcoats. The story is the same for many of the fancy cummerbunds and their goofy matching bowties. Two ascots have a splash of color. Only the black and white bowties see any active duty.

The two pairs of white braces are different. One has white leather ends. The other has white corded-silk ends.

The shirt collars are fixed-wing, detachable wing, and fold-over. Some shirts are plain front, some pleated front, some pleated-bib, and some pique-bib. Most of the shirts are fine poplin or linen. The shirt cuffs are primarily straight link cuffs. Some of the cuffs are fold-over for links.

Various opera pumps (pinched or no-bow) and formal lace-ups in polished calf and patent, as well as a felt top hat and some gloves complete the jumble acquired over nearly thirty years. Everything still fits, although . . . most of the trouser waistbands did require some easing!
    [​IMG]

OH MY!!! [​IMG]

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

See, shawl collars work wonders for some....

It enables them to get skanky hos? Now there's something to aspire to... [​IMG]