• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Informal Poll: brought on by the rash of tuxedo questions

new obsession

Reaction score
Just curious...

I will presume that everyone wears braces with a Tuxedo, and spare you that. Wing versus lay down collar does not interest me, as I think either one is interchangeable with any combination of items. Midnight Blue versus Black is probably a function of how many Tuxedos you own or have bought, and how impervious you are to other people saying "hey, your tux is blue [insert ignorant comment here]"...

But I am curious about the collars/lapels SF members wear, and the corresponding vest/cummerbund they choose with these...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My tuxedo is RTW and it has (GASP!) notch lapels, but I wear it about once a year, so it's not too important to me. When I get around to ordering a custom tux it will have peak lapels and I'll wear it with a custom cummerbund.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SB, 3-button, Dupioni silk with satin peak lapel.

......85.jpg

SB, 2-button, cashmere with grosgrain peak lapel.

......93.jpg

DB, 6x1 button, wool with satin peak lapel.

......97.jpg

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tux is a DB RTW affair (Pierre Cardin).

And I just realized how many acronyms we routinely use here (though some of the most useful, such as IBSAABA or TRJCHAP never caught on).

Aureus

Reaction score
When I acquire mine, it will be a single breasted, single button, peak lapel.

new obsession

Reaction score
Why so little love for the shawl? Wow.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone still wear a cummerbund?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
Does anyone still wear a cummerbund?
If you look at the poll results, the majority of people here do!

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a Brooks Brothers notch lapel w/ a vest most of the time. Occasionally I wear the cummerbund instead of the vest, it depends on my mood. Like chorse123, I wear my tuxedo infrequently so I am not very concerned that it has notch lapels. However, when I replace it I will buy a SB peaked lapel.

Reaction score
The midnight blue one I own is shawl collar, one button, of course, which I wear with cummerbund, but I also have a white double breasted shawl collar dinner jacket, which I wear with neither vest nor cummerbund. When I replace the worn out peak lapel single breasted, I will undoubtedly wear it with a white vest.

new obsession

Reaction score
See, shawl collars work wonders for some....

hefner.JPG

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxxford - Black Worsted / SB Dinner Suit / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Oxxford - Black Worsted / DB Dinner Suit / 4x1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - White Shantung (Dupioni) / SB Dinner Jacket / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - Oxford Gray Cashmere Herringbone Morning Suit / 1 Button cutaway w/Swallowtails / Peak Lapels

Hickey Freeman - Black Worsted SB Dinner Suit / 2 Button / NOTCH LAPELS w/Grosgrain / You are reading correctly: "NOTCH LAPELS". The shame and horror!
laugh.gif

I just can't bring myself to wear a shawl lapel jacket. It looks fine on some fellows, but not in my mirror.

There are far too many waistcoats-in-waiting. Most of the "fancies" went from the store to the closet and remained there. It seems I usually wear only the black or gray or white waistcoats. The story is the same for many of the fancy cummerbunds and their goofy matching bowties. Two ascots have a splash of color. Only the black and white bowties see any active duty.

The two pairs of white braces are different. One has white leather ends. The other has white corded-silk ends.

The shirt collars are fixed-wing, detachable wing, and fold-over. Some shirts are plain front, some pleated front, some pleated-bib, and some pique-bib. Most of the shirts are fine poplin or linen. The shirt cuffs are primarily straight link cuffs. Some of the cuffs are fold-over for links.

Various opera pumps (pinched or no-bow) and formal lace-ups in polished calf and patent, as well as a felt top hat and some gloves complete the jumble acquired over nearly thirty years. Everything still fits, although . . . most of the trouser waistbands did require some easing!
blush.gif

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Oxxford - Black Worsted / SB Dinner Suit / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Oxxford - Black Worsted / DB Dinner Suit / 4x1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - White Shantung (Dupioni) / SB Dinner Jacket / 1 Button / Peak Lapels w/Satin

Bespoke - Oxford Gray Cashmere Herringbone Morning Suit / 1 Button cutaway w/Swallowtails / Peak Lapels

Hickey Freeman - Black Worsted SB Dinner Suit / 2 Button / NOTCH LAPELS w/Grosgrain / You are reading correctly: "NOTCH LAPELS". The shame and horror!
laugh.gif

I just can't bring myself to wear a shawl lapel jacket. It looks fine on some fellows, but not in my mirror.

There are far too many waistcoats-in-waiting. Most of the "fancies" went from the store to the closet and remained there. It seems I usually wear only the black or gray or white waistcoats. The story is the same for many of the fancy cummerbunds and their goofy matching bowties. Two ascots have a splash of color. Only the black and white bowties see any active duty.

The two pairs of white braces are different. One has white leather ends. The other has white corded-silk ends.

The shirt collars are fixed-wing, detachable wing, and fold-over. Some shirts are plain front, some pleated front, some pleated-bib, and some pique-bib. Most of the shirts are fine poplin or linen. The shirt cuffs are primarily straight link cuffs. Some of the cuffs are fold-over for links.

Various opera pumps (pinched or no-bow) and formal lace-ups in polished calf and patent, as well as a felt top hat and some gloves complete the jumble acquired over nearly thirty years. Everything still fits, although . . . most of the trouser waistbands did require some easing!
blush.gif

OH MY!!!
wow.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
See, shawl collars work wonders for some....

It enables them to get skanky hos? Now there's something to aspire to...
dozingoff.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads