• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

info on how to judge quality of cashmere blankets/throws?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im thinking about getting my gf a cashmere blanket or throw for christmas/her birthday. itll most likely be an online purchase since i really dont live in an area where i could find such a thing...easily.

my budget is ~$200, but im hoping for more in the $150 range as ive seen a few on gilt for that price.

i just want to know some info on what brands to look out for, where, and how i can judge quality (from online descriptions, or if i do go out, touch), such as weight...etc. they all just feel soft to me, and i dont want to buy some ****** blanket that will pill right away.

ideally id like a nice thick, heavy one, but they will probably be out of my price range, so ill consider wool and any other luxurious fabrics too. she lives around the chicago area and her birthday is in january. as for size, i think 70ishx60ish is perfect.

thanks for any info.
smile.gif

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be wary of wool/cashmere blends. I've tried a few different ones, and they were all scratchy.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
im thinking about getting my gf a cashmere blanket or throw for christmas/her birthday. itll most likely be an online purchase since i really dont live in an area where i could find such a thing...easily.

my budget is ~$200, but im hoping for more in the $150 range as ive seen a few on gilt for that price.

i just want to know some info on what brands to look out for, where, and how i can judge quality (from online descriptions, or if i do go out, touch), such as weight...etc. they all just feel soft to me, and i dont want to buy some ****** blanket that will pill right away.

ideally id like a nice thick, heavy one, but they will probably be out of my price range, so ill consider wool and any other luxurious fabrics too. she lives around the chicago area and her birthday is in january. as for size, i think 70ishx60ish is perfect.

thanks for any info.
smile.gif

you're not gonna get a quality cashmere throw for $200 unless you find a fantastic sale. Just sayin'... It'll be mixed with other fibers or use the short/coarse hairs from the wrong part of the animal and pill a lot.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Gucci cashmere blend throw blanket on DSW.com right now for $99. It's pretty gaudy, but if the GF is into it, it would make a nice gift.

Reaction score
For a good cashmere blanket, you need to judge the gauge (heaviness) of the blanket, also pay attention to stitching and quality. I'm not sure you can get a good one for $200, I did get a relatively nice one for that price. But it was more like a travel throw rather than the full Monty. I would recommend Frette and RL for their throws. So Frette has an outlet at Woodbury Commons in NY. Just go here and call them to see if they sell cashmere throws at the time. That's where I got mine. Also, to cheap it out Restoration Hardware has some decent ones. I felt them so here are the links and good luck! http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...=1291173945562 http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...sting.asp?id=7 Good luck! Your gf is a lucky girl.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input so far guys. i kinda like the restoration hardware ones.

but what about the ones for sale on gilt right now? anyone have experiences with Armand Diradourian or johnston's cashmere?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pratesi also has an outlet at Woodbury, and usually has throws. They're in the $600 range though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads