• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info on and suggestions for a new MTM shirt store in San Francisco

Unit 91

Reaction score
I suggest you explain to my wife why I'll soon be heading into the city 'for a glass of scotch'.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures... are the buttons hand shanked?

Also, can you ask for the armhole to be taken higher and the arm diameter to be smaller? I'm not an expert, but the shoulders seem good (your stance can make a big difference) and the body isn't bad... some like more fitted, but this works for you.

How's the fabric? It seems to wrinkle, but I don't know how long it was worn...

Thanks,

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jefferson,

Do you have pictures of the local (Bay Area) factory where these shirts are made? Just want to see how the operation works with you guys.

contaygious

Reaction score
Sounds good I can't wear thomas pink because the sleeves are not long enough. I too prefer slimmer shirts with shoulders a bit narrower than in the pictures.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Looks nice, but I personally prefer shoulders seam to be closer/narrower and waist to be trimmer.to run a bit narrower for a more structured and cleaner look.
smile.gif

There's some extra fabric at the back of the shirt tails.

Yeah, the fit of this shirt is "comfortable" for me. I have some OTR shirts that are too blousy, and I have some MTM Harvie & Hudson shirts that are quite slim fitting on me. The Chalk shirt fits between the two, providing a better sleekness than a tent-like OTR shirt, but also it doesn't feel as constricting as my slim-fit H&H shirts. Since I'm currently located in DC right now, I appreciate the looser fit of the Chalk when dealing with the heat and humidity.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
Thanks for the pictures... are the buttons hand shanked? Also, can you ask for the armhole to be taken higher and the arm diameter to be smaller? I'm not an expert, but the shoulders seem good (your stance can make a big difference) and the body isn't bad... some like more fitted, but this works for you. How's the fabric? It seems to wrinkle, but I don't know how long it was worn... Thanks,
According to the Chalk guys, the buttons are hand done, but you would have to ask them for more details. From the measuring appointment, it seems like they can do almost anything you want in terms of sizing. I picked a soft fabric, and it does seem to wrinkle a bit easier, but the only times I have my jacket off are when I'm photographing what I'm wearing or when I'm changing. For instance, the wrinkles that developed on the arms probably came from about 20-30 minutes of wear as I was digging around my camera bag and setting up the tripod. When I move back to CA, I think my next Chalk shirt will probably be slightly more fitted than the first, especially around the body/waist area since there's a good inch or two of extra fabric that's bunching at the back when tucked.

jefferson

Reaction score
Thanks to whoever emailed me about CHALK. If not, I would not have known that pictures were put up.

Roikens- nice job on the pictures. Give me a ring next time you're in town. If you're interested in more shirts, we can talk about options.

Originally Posted by Coho
Jefferson,

Do you have pictures of the local (Bay Area) factory where these shirts are made? Just want to see how the operation works with you guys.

The factory is located in the East Coast, not in the Bay Area. And no, sorry, no pictures. However, I've been assured that it's not a sweatshop.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kngrimm
Thanks for the pictures... are the buttons hand shanked?

No handsewn button holes or hand attached buttons. That was my misunderstanding with the vendor- thanks to Carl for the correction. I think we clarified that in this thread as well as our website (such as it is). Actually, I just looked. My bad, it wasn't clarified here.
blush.gif

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics