• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info: Best Ties List

heard546

Reaction score
The template for this listing and most of the content was originally developed by a member of Ask Andy forum. Thought I would peggy back on the original work to see if we can devleop a list with some ranking and price point for our members.

Please add/modify the listing as you please. Your comments are welcomed.

Here is so metrics to use to base your experience with a specific brand. Then, I can compile a list of ties with the metrics so members can have a guide to help him/her better understand neckwear accessories.

Weight Material Colors Style Patterns Prices

Rating Scale
5 = Excellent
4 = Great
3 = Good
2 = Satisfactory
1 = Nothing special

Tier 1
Kiton
Borrelli
Attolini
Isaia
Bulgari
Charvet
Marinella
Hermes

Tier 2
Brioni
Isaia Napoli
Stefano Ricci
Nicky of Milan
Luciano Barbera
Drake (their 50-oz. model is hefty)
Holliday & Brown
Turnbull & Asser
Massimo Bizzocchi
Breuer
Robert Talbott (the sevenfolds and Best of Class lines)
Zegna (but not the Villa Bolgheri line)
Canali

Tier 3
Ike Behar New York
Altea
Pucci
FIHTies
Dolce & Gabbana
Zegna Villa Bolgheri line
Versace
Armani
Hugo Boss
Faconnable
Duchamp
Ted Baker
Paul Smith
Ralph Lauren Purple Label (purportedly made by Altea)
Robert Talbott Chelsea line
Brooks Brothers
Jhane Barnes
Hickey Freeman
RL Polo (Blue Label)
Vineyard Vines

-tony

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
I would move Hermes from Tier 1 to Tier 2 which shows how subjective this list would really be.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate to be a downer, but I see very little sense to this kind of list. Ties are really subjective and even the parts that are objective can reflect preferences that are subjective. For example, Hermes is either top tier or crap, depending on whether you like their kind of silk and lining. And that is aside from whether you like their prints.

What you can try to do is identify those manufacturers that put 100% effort into making their kind of tie as well as possible. Most of your Tier II fits in that category, and I am sure some of Tier III does as well.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Ties are really subjective and even the parts that are objective can reflect preferences that are subjective.

+1000. We can lock this thread now.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Instead of the best tie brands, let's go for broke:

The top ten individual neckties ever made.

I have three. The rest of you can squabble over the remaining seven.

Who's with me?

- B

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A list like this without Barba is like starting a poll without the Anne Hathway option.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paging iammatt -- I don't see any Seaman & Spearn.

JDelage

Reaction score
I think this is worth trying to compile, but the best way to do so would be using some kind of poll...

r_fine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
A list like this without Barba is like starting a poll without the Anne Hathway option.

+1. At least on the Barba part.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I hate to be a downer, but I see very little sense to this kind of list. Ties are really subjective and even the parts that are objective can reflect preferences that are subjective. For example, Hermes is either top tier or crap, depending on whether you like their kind of silk and lining. And that is aside from whether you like their prints.

What you can try to do is identify those manufacturers that put 100% effort into making their kind of tie as well as possible. Most of your Tier II fits in that category, and I am sure some of Tier III does as well.

I dont think this list is senseless at all. In fact, its helpful to me to try and understand who tries the hardest to make a quality product. It also introduces me to some names I have not heard of before.

While I agree 100% its subjective, it still serves the purpose of giving opinions and debating on the merits, more than some of the threads I've seen can say (and I've started some of those).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads