1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Info: Best Ties List

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heard546, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I associate Charvet with long-float wovens that fray too easilty. I also have come not to like the color schemes. I have to admire the way they have created and maintained a unique signature design aesthetic, however.
    I think that is a vicious cycle that they have created for themselves in the U.S. They have a much wider array of silks but they are harder to find here. My guess is that U.S. buyers seek out Charvet for ties that look "Charvet" so that is what the store buyers stock. One thing that is true is that all their ties are designed to make a smallish knot. Perhaps I will photograph a bunch of my non-Charvet-looking Charvet ties.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that is a vicious cycle that they have created for themselves in the U.S. They have a much wider array of silks but they are harder to find here. My guess is that U.S. buyers seek out Charvet for ties that look "Charvet" so that is what the store buyers stock.

One thing that is true is that all their ties are designed to make a smallish knot.

Perhaps I will photograph a bunch of my non-Charvet ties.

They have a great selection at the Paris store. Saks SF has a nice new selection of Charvet ascots, for whatever that is worth.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The last time I was at the Paris store, all the ties looked like the same ones I see in the US. This was a while ago, though, and it was a hot summer day with no A/C, so I did not linger.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

They have a great selection at the Paris store. Saks SF has a nice new selection of Charvet ascots, for whatever that is worth.

+1

Saks surprisingly has a wonderful Charvet collection, besting Bergdorf's. Charvet also makes the best silk knots, for those into them. I'm on a Matuozzo kick right now, got a few unlined, hand sewn tips coming.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

The last time I was at the Paris store, all the ties looked like the same ones I see in the US.
    FAIL.

6. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

I really, really like Drake's- both for the construction and the patterns.

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

FAIL.

Maybe I am blind, or have bad a memory.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

These are among my favorites, though their typical U.S. selection is too flimsy for my taste. They have some lovely prints, which for some reason are hard to find. Also some ruggedly woven silks done in unlined seven folds.

I think that is a vicious cycle that they have created for themselves in the U.S. They have a much wider array of silks but they are harder to find here. My guess is that U.S. buyers seek out Charvet for ties that look "Charvet" so that is what the store buyers stock.

One thing that is true is that all their ties are designed to make a smallish knot.

Perhaps I will photograph a bunch of my non-Charvet-looking Charvet ties.

Please do post photos when you have a chance.

The Charvet prints I've seen for sale in Saks and Bergdorf have been uniformly ugly which is a shame since the quality of the silk seems to be about as good as it gets.

9. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

+1

Saks surprisingly has a wonderful Charvet collection, besting Bergdorf's. Charvet also makes the best silk knots, for those into them. I'm on a Matuozzo kick right now, got a few unlined, hand sewn tips coming.

all of the Saks iv'e been to pail in comparison with Bergdorf's selection of Charvet

10. macaroni

macaroni Senior member

Where would you put Sam Hober?

11. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I would also like to know.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I would also like to know.

Top tier, no question. Superb quality fabric, construction, attention to detail.

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Since this has been resurrected I hope you don't mind me responding to some old posts:
    Instead of the best tie brands, let's go for broke:

The top ten individual neckties ever made.

I have three. The rest of you can squabble over the remaining seven.

Pics, please.

The Hermes knit ties with the hanky ends are sweet sweet ties. Far above the prints, mine are grenadine.
    Eh, wot?

Short of going bespoke, who makes a tie with very little 'body'? Are Drakes normally quite substantive?

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Since this has been resurrected I hope you don't mind me responding to some old posts:

Pics, please.

Eh, wot?

Short of going bespoke, who makes a tie with very little 'body'? Are Drakes normally quite substantive?

^^

I have a striped 6 fold cahsmere Kiton that I would put up against anything here.
    Also, I have an 11 fold Charles Thyritt which is so nice I cant even wear it. I only stare at it and then decide I cant take the risk.

15. Greenhorn

Greenhorn New Member

Let me try to revive this old thread.
    From those of you who have experience with any of the following tie brands, I would love to have your opinion on their overall quality:

Aquascutum
    Burberry
    Bvlgari
    Dior
    Dolce &Gabbana
    Edsor Kronen
    Egon von Fürstenberg
    Gant
    Gianfranco Ferre
    Gucci
    Joop!
    Kenzo
    Lands End
    Lanvin
    Marks & Spencer
    Monti
    Next
    Olymp
    Paul Smith
    Pierre Balmain
    Pierre Cardin
    Pucci
    Renato Balestra
    Roccobarocco
    Thomas Pink
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Trussardi
    Versace
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Zadi / Andrew’s

(These are the brands that I have read quite contradictory reviews about.)

You may use the rating introduced by heard546 at the beginning of the thread; Tier 1 being Kiton, Borrelli or Marinella, Tier 3 being Hugo Boss or Armani, and let’s call the cheapest Asian tie brands Tier 10. Or just give your opinion, plain and simple.

(Please do not base your rating on the colors or patterns of the ties, rather on the „more objective” qualities, such as material, durability, workmanship etc. Price or value / price are not significant.)

It would be kind of important for me to know, so I thank you in advance for any response.

16. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Thanks for the bump this thread is fantastic!

As for your question, I've got a Thomas Pink 7-fold, a regular Thomas Pink, and have seen a few more. I like them quite a bit, although I will say the 7-fold, while nice and thick, gets wrinkly very easily. I don't really agree with how all the brands are tiered in the OP, but I'd say they're good to very good. Outside of that 7-fold they feel quite nice and have been durable thusfar!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  17. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am a rabid fan of Thomas Pink. Own about 15 or so. They do produce a lot of crap, color and pattern wise, but you shift through the muck and you find some sterling examples of their work. Great weave and they tie fantastic knots. They drape well (not as well as T&A or Dunhill). They aged well (with one exception)

I'd go with Kent Wang for you basics, Thomas Pink for anything you want to be both interesting and conservative. Drop the conservative part and I'd probably go exploring other brands.

Definitely Tier 2. I have several Hugo Boss and an Armani...and the best of them is maybe comparable to my worst Thomas Pink...and it's one that's in my rubbish tie pile)

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

RE the list above....

Aquascutum - quality varies widely

Burberry - quality varies widely

Bvlgari - generally good, especially the 7 folds

Dior - the high end are nice, made in France

Dolce &Gabbana - come from the same factory as many other brands ehre

Gianfranco Ferre - good durable ties

Gucci - generally very good

Kenzo - average

Lands End - good value

Lanvin - quality varies widely

Marks & Spencer - average, lots of polyester

Paul Smith - generally quite good, especially the made in england ones

Pierre Cardin - the high end are nice

Pucci - good quality, crazy patterns

Renato Balestra - average

Thomas Pink - older ones are great, france, italy, england, lately they have been manufacturing in cheaper locations and quality is not as good

Tommy Hilfiger - average

Trussardi - average

Yves Saint Laurent - quality varies widely

Zadi / Andrew’s - generally good quality and good value

19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

When did they start doing this? But I have noticed the best Thomas Pink ties I have are over 3 years old (at least). I've also purchased a few used that were made in the late 90s very early 2000s, and they were also not quite as nice.

Also ordered some cheap (price not quality) ties from you last night[​IMG].

EDIT: Yup, my most recent purchase from them was made in Morocco. It feels fine, but we'll have to see how it holds up.

20. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Thomas Pink - I would put them in the same tier as Hugo Boss (which actually are OK design- and quality-wise IMHO) or Armani.

Edsor Kronen - These are very nice ties in my experience. I would put them below Drake's but above Thomas Pink / Hugo Boss / Armani.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012