• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Infiniti G35x owners - a few questions

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering picking up a used G35x (2004) and have a few questions.

- How does the car perform in the snow? (Midwest, heavy snowfall)
- Does the car have sufficient cargo room for the occasional time you need to move a larger item? (e.g. a chair)
- Have you had any major mechanical issues? The car would likely have around 50k miles. Do you recommend purchasing an extended warranty?
- What real-world mpg do you you experience?

I am transitioning from a midsize SUV and am most concerned about winter performance and cargo space. Any other comments are appreciated.

treegarden

Reaction score
I don't have the exact car you're considering, but my experiences may be helpful.
I have a 2003 G35 (RWD). I bought it new and it has never needed repair other than new brakes that were provided gratis as part of a service campaign. Trunk space is modest. You can, of course, take a look at the trunk space of the car you're considering and draw your own conclusion. My real MPG is about 20, but yours would probably be less with AWD.

I drove a loaner G35x when my car was having the brakes installed; it was winter, but there was no snow on the ground. It seemed quite sure-footed.

stamp0102

Reaction score
I don't own one, but know a friend that does. My Dad owned the coupe and I owned an A4, as well my G-Father has a new g35, so I think I have a good sense for comparison. The G35 is a nice car. The newer models are much more refined.

As far as performance in the snow, I cannot comment because I havn't been in the car in the snow. My guess is it will be decent (similar to my A4). Depending on what type of SUV you had (4wd or AWD), it will handle relatively the same. Just remember it is only inches of the ground, so with more than 6 or so inches, you will be plowing through it. Being AWD it will handle well in the rain and snow, but it honestly matters more as to what tires are on the car.

As far as cargo room, there is a good amount of space for a compact sedan. Trunk opening is a bit small which may hinder getting larger objects into the space. A chair probably will not fit; keep the SUV for that. Best suggestion is to look at one in person to get a better idea.

As far as any major issues with any of the Infiniti's owned by ppl I know, the only problem was the light in my Dad's spoiler crapped out after about 3 years. They ended up having to replace the entire thing (spoiler and light) and rewire the entire thing into the car. If it wasn't under warranty they said it would have been upwards of $1500. Other than that not that I know of. Check out the internet car forums as they usually are a wealth of info on stuff like that. But infiniti=luxury car=expensive to repair; so is life. So with no warranty, any minor problem can turn into a searing hole in your pocket. My A4 was a CPO and thank god it was. When I picked it up from the dealer the sunroof was broken (saved me $750). About 6 months after I had it, it threw a sensor in the engine (saved me $1200). While replacing the sensor, they mentioned that the timing belt would need to be replaced within the next 10k miles. Thankfully they saved me $$$$ by doing this under warranty even though it is usually considered maintenance. I had several other problems I won't bore everyone with, but the moral is, try to get it certified and under warranty. Little problems can cost big money.

As for mpg, not sure off the top of my head. Again check with the forums. My guess is around 18. This also depends on how heavy your right foot tends to be.

AcuraNSX

Reaction score
I have a 2007 G35 coupe - I get 19.5 - 21.5mpg. Not great at all. They are known (all G35's) to be reliable in most regards. Engine has been on the 10 best forever. I would not get the extended warranty. Usually money wasted unless you can get it on the cheap, which is doubtful. Hope that helps a little.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My best buddy has one. He lives in the midwest and drives through lake-effect snow with it. I've never heard him complain about it. I've driven it and I really liked it. Trunk is very spacious.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
- Does the car have sufficient cargo room for the occasional time you need to move a larger item? (e.g. a chair)
If you're creative and have some rope to let it hang out of the trunk (or don't piss off your friends with SUVs & pickups). MPG will be worse than expected. I agree about the snow tires. Still a great choice compared to german offerings and subaru. G sedan will be my next car when/if my '92 Q45 dies.

FreedBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
I'm considering picking up a used G35x (2004) and have a few questions.

- How does the car perform in the snow? (Midwest, heavy snowfall)
- Have you had any major mechanical issues? The car would likely have around 50k miles. Do you recommend purchasing an extended warranty?
- What real-world mpg do you you experience?

I am transitioning from a midsize SUV and am most concerned about winter performance and cargo space. Any other comments are appreciated.

I live in Maine and my father has this exact car the 2004 model as well. I drive it around once in awhile in the snow with out snow tires and the handling is really fantastic. There is also a snow setting on the 4WD that works well.

The car is fairly spacious, but certainly it's no SUV.

We had a problem with the AWD system and they replaced a bunch of stuff, but it was under the 70,000 mile drive train warranty.

I think the MPG is around 20.

All and all the car is really fantastic. It is a blast to drive and has the perfect combination of practicality and performance. Good luck on the car and I hope this helps.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the car got better MPG it would be superb. I've been a member of the G35 boards for years and many people there have average MPG numbers in the teens, which to me is unexcusable on a 6 cylinder engine. Nissan and Infiniti haven't been known for their fuel sipping vehicles.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't own a G35 but I do see a lot of them on snowy days here in the midwest. I do own a 2001 Infiniti SUV and have never had a problem with it, unlike my German cars.

raphael

Reaction score
The G35 is a superbly engineered car. It has given me 0.00 problems.

When I got one it was the only one on the road. Now they're everywhere.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2005 G35 coupe and don`t have any complaints. I throw snow tires on it in the winter and it handles modest amounts of snow with no problems.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father had an '05 and now an '07. There was never a problem and I think you'll be quite happy. They aren't as great in the snow as you think they should be. There are features lacking in the older models that are REALLY nice to have but they aren't deal breakers. The styling is a little lack-luster in those 4-doors too.

For the '04's: Reliability-wise, way better than a BMW. Handling/Performance/Style-wise, not so much.

You might also want to consider an '04 M45 too. My grandfather had one and it used to ride like it was on rails, even in New England winters. They sell cheap because the styling is a little unconventional, but I liked it. My grandfather traded it in for the new M35x in less than a year, so I guess he didn't agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics