• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Infidelity in marriage (re: How to get over things your gf has done in the past.)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What % of American marriages do you think have had at least one partner transgress? For the purposes of this poll, transgress = touching private parts. Not necessarily sex. But simple making out would not be included as transgression.

Also, please assume at least a 5 year marriage. Obviously cheating is much less likely in the first year.

Include both marriages that result in divorce and also those that do not.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wat poll ? IBP

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Making out should be included. IMO, here's how you determine where the line is for you: if your partner was involved in this act, would you see red? If the answer is "yes," it's a transgression.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Making out should be included. IMO, here's how you determine where the line is for you: if your partner was involved in this act, would you see red? If the answer is "yes," it's a transgression.

Absolutely true, and I consider that cheating, but a lot of people do not (weirdly enough). I feel that the great majority of marriages have had someone make-out with a third party. It happens when people get drunk, if even for a second.

Going further than that is not quite so easy to accidentally fall into.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Absolutely true, and I consider that cheating, but a lot of people do not (weirdly enough). I feel that the great majority of marriages have had someone make-out with a third party. It happens when people get drunk, if even for a second. Going further than that is not quite so easy to accidentally fall into.
Making out just seems relatively harmless. It's an enjoyable, gratifying experience, even if isn't particularly sexual. Hell, I'd be more worried about intimate messaging than just boaning someone else. One thing indicates some major issues with the relationship and would be an instant relationship death imo. The other just means that one needs to brush up on their sack skillzzz or that the guilty party just wants some variety/was drunk and horny. Edit: I am a firm believer in once a cheater, always a cheater, however.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many times have you found yourself making out with someone while intoxicated and not knowing how you ended up in this situation?

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman!"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
How many times have you found yourself making out with someone while intoxicated and not knowing how you ended up in this situation?

From 15-25? Almost weekly.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi

5 times tops. There are plenty times where it's a little hazy or I don't care, but very few blackout makeouts that I remember.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
5 times tops. There are plenty times where it's a little hazy or I don't care, but very few blackout makeouts that I remember.

That's because you were blacked out.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That's because you were blacked out.

Really...

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember in my genetics class the prof was saying that at least 5% of people don't have the fathers they think they have. Some think that the number is more like 10%. That suggests the number of people messing around in marriage is quite significant.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.