infertility

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by matadorpoeta, May 27, 2006.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

why is there so much infertility in america? they're actually advertising infertility clincs on the radio here. is this an epidemic?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

1. people wait to have kids

2. I think people just accepted it in the past, now they know that it is treatable.

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Too many guys wearing too tight denim. [​IMG]

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

It's not just the US. The UK, for example, also has issues.

I agree with globe that it has a lot to do with people putting off childbearing until later in life, and there is greater pub of it these days. Drugs has at least a little to do with it, too.

5. heartworm

heartworm Senior member

An unhealthy lifestyle is the main reason why so many men's semen quality is simply too low to reproduce. Smoking, too little exercise and unhealthy food all lower the sperm count (or whatever it's called in english).

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

The government puts chemicals in the public water as population control. Inner city neighborhoods get the highest concentration, suburbs and rural areas get less, and the wealthy areas are unaffected.

Similarly, the cheap-o bottled water from Wal-Mart has a high concentration of the chemical, but expensive water such as Fiji has none.

Oh wait, this isn't Current Events...[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I'm gonna go get some cheap-o Wal Mart water. BBIAB.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Agree with Globetrotter:

1) Many people, especially among the professional and academic classes (i.e. those with means) are putting off having children well past the natural prime. This is the target audience of these ads.

2) People are not accepting infertility as as intractable problem.

3) The pill deliberately messes around with a woman's menstrual cycle. Research into the longterm implications of this type of contraceptive is ongoing, but smart money says that there are effects on fertility.

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm gonna go get some cheap-o Wal Mart water. BBIAB.

So when you return w/ the water, will you be BBWNR?

10. globetrotter

3) The pill deliberately messes around with a woman's menstrual cycle. Research into the longterm implications of this type of contraceptive is ongoing, but smart money says that there are effects on fertility.

good point too

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The stats I have in memory for infertility are 1/3 is her fault, 1/3 is his fault, 1/3 is both of them. There is a long list of things that can go wrong.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Incest.

13. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Agree with Globetrotter:

1) Many people, especially among the professional and academic classes (i.e. those with means) are putting off having children well past the natural prime. This is the target audience of these ads.

2) People are not accepting infertility as as intractable problem.

so infertility is going up. it's not just my imagination. maybe it's time to start having kids earlier and ditch the birth control pills. i don't want to sound like i'm against IVF, but wouldn't most prefer to have their children au naturel?

14. globetrotter

so infertility is going up. it's not just my imagination. maybe it's time to start having kids earlier and ditch the birth control pills. i don't want to sound like i'm against IVF, but wouldn't most prefer to have their children au naturel?

damn right, but nobody believes it is going to happen to them. My sister has 5 or 6 points against her - her age, several health issues, etc, and she doesn't beleive that she will have any problem, once she starts trying. I know several people who are in the same position.

15. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Without the research in front of me, I would hesitate to draw a link between more ads for fertility clinics on the tv and radio and an increase in infertility. As the saying goes, correlation does not equal causation. I think it is as Globetrotter said: people know it can be overcome, and I will add: they have the money to do so. I suspect if you are in medical school and comtemplating what field you are interested in and include your expected earnings, fertility might be high up there for the $$.

Just my economist's point of view.

bob