• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive watches with high-dollar style -- poseriffic?

qtdude

Reaction score
The Seiko Spirit (?) looks sweet; white dial, automatic movement, black leather strap.

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qtdude
The Seiko Spirit (?) looks sweet; white dial, automatic movement, black leather strap.

s_scvs013a.jpg

I agree, it is a nice looking watch.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Not entirely off topic, but on Thursday, Japanese customs officials banned imports of bags that resemble Hermes' Birkin and Kelly products, even though the imports do not bear the Hermes logo, and thus are not in violation of Japanese trademark law.

I suppose therefore, that in Japan, a watch that for example, does not bear the Rolex or Patek name, but has a certain amount of resemblance to signature watches in either of those brand lines, could be found to violate unfair competition law in Japan.

Bic

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Infidels.
You'll be glad to know Rolex has adopted an innovative new strategy to prevent people from copying their designs: introduce designs no one else will ever want to copy.
devil.gif
rolex-daytona-116598_MED.jpg
datejustsmall.jpg
rolex_yachtmaster-thumb.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just discovered another way that high-end watchmakers copy each other which was pretty interesting. I read somewhere the first company to make watches with cutaway windows so you could see the inside of the watch was Frederique Constant (not a super high-end watchmaker, but a manufacture nonetheless), however they neglected to patent it.... now almost every manufacture has at a few open window designs in their collection (Zenith, JLC, Hublot, Roger DuBuis, etc, etc.) So the whole trend of copying each other is by no means limited to the low-priced companies.
gp2007_frederique_constant_07_0626_hbauto_sm.jpg

danbachran2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
You'll be glad to know Rolex has adopted an innovative new strategy to prevent people from copying their designs: introduce designs no one else will ever want to copy.
devil.gif

rolex_yachtmaster-thumb.jpg

This third one wouldn't be so bad if it was platinum or silver instead of that gaudy gold..

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a quartz Hamilton Jazzmaster that I really like.

I also like some Citizen Stiletto watches. They are very very thin and have sapphire crystals. For ~$130 on the grey market they make a great dress watch that will fit under almost any cuff. Even though they are not automatic, I prefer the eco-drive to a quartz movement any day. I saw one in solid platinum sell on eBay for $1200 a few months ago.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the jewelry mart on wabash picking up my every-day watch which I had serviced and I saw an add for a new Hamilton that was pretty nice, sporty, and dirt cheap (I think $300). I've been looking for a casual summer watch w/ a leather or rubber strap, so I went window shopping for something like that and I found the Jazzmaster. Wearing it now. Very happy with my purchase.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know when I finally splurged on a watch I decided it was worth it to invest in something that would last 20+years and was of high quality. You can get a great watch for around $2500, plus with the higher end watches they usually do not loose their value. I have a friend that works at a high end watch shop and on many of their pieces you can walk in 5 years later and sell the watch back to them at the same price you bought it...

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I got the Invicta Speedway Chronomaster 9223 a while ago. Always mistaken for a Rolex Daytona. Though it is in the $100 inexpensive. And you get what you pay for in most parts.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I'm not a car person, but I imagine the logic is similar to seeing a sports car with an automatic gearshift.

As we "car people" say about automatic transmissions, "That ain't drivin', that's steerin'!"

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I was at the jewelry mart on wabash picking up my every-day watch which I had serviced and I saw an add for a new Hamilton that was pretty nice, sporty, and dirt cheap (I think $300). I've been looking for a casual summer watch w/ a leather or rubber strap, so I went window shopping for something like that and I found the Jazzmaster. Wearing it now. Very happy with my purchase.

I need to check it out, CR. They used to advertise on late night TV back in the day (not garish ads by any means, either)

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern universal geneve watches.

High quality movements, huge discounts.

I owned a universal geneve compax I got in like new condition through ebay for only $850. Comes with deployant buckle, a nice gator band, with box but no papers. It has a lemania 1873 chronograph module, the same caliber (omega 861) used in the Omega moon watch, Chronoswiss Kairos, and a Breitling something or other whose name escaped me at the moment.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the best watch for under $1000, is definetly Stowa, clean lines, elegent, very well made.

Stowa.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads