• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

inexpensive, quality ties in NYC?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From you NYC shopping gurus, any specific spots? I know in general, people go with ebay or thrift stores, but I haven't been to any inexpensive thrift stores in the city.

I'm looking for a nice tie for a wedding coming up--solid colors, summer fabrics. I also realize one can't be picky when looking, but I figure with a solid color, it might be easier.

So where do youse cats go? Filene's? C21? Sales? Loehmann's?

Also, looking for something a little narrower: no more than 3". I just can't wear fatter ties, they look clownish on my thin frame.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian

So where do youse cats go? Filene's? C21? Sales? Loehmann's?

Also, looking for something a little narrower: no more than 3". I just can't wear fatter ties, they look clownish on my thin frame.

Yes to all, but all are hit and miss. C21 has the most consistently good selection, though. Also, if you can get their by Saturday, Jay Kos on Lexington is closing and all ties are $40. Barneys also has a good selection at 50%.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I founf the Jay Kos ties to be rather wack, actually. Especially for $40. For the same $40 you can get Battistoni and Holliday and Brown at C21 and if you are a bit more flashy, Zegna for about $50.

Edit: Oops just read your 3 inch requirement. That makes it tougher. Wait for the Saks second cut sale in about a week and you'll find David Chu ties for about $60, they are probably the best 3 inch or so ties that I have encountered and they are one of the best made ties period.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I founf the Jay Kos ties to be rather wack, actually. Especially for $40. For the same $40 you can get Battistoni and Holliday and Brown at C21 and if you are a bit more flashy, Zegna for about $50.

I was able to score some Drake's, Holliday&Brown and an incredible unlined seven fold in the mess, Ed. Though, I agree that, on the whole, the ties were not that great.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit: Oops just read your 3 inch requirement. That makes it tougher. Wait for the Saks second cut sale in about a week and you'll find David Chu ties for about $60, they are probably the best 3 inch or so ties that I have encountered and they are one of the best made ties period.

I picked up some David Chu's at C21 a few weeks ago (no extra markdowns), 7-fold, rather slim ($175 retail) for $40.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good man. I will need to trek over there.
Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the quality. I actually haven't worn either of the 2 (or was it 3?) I picked up, but they look and feel tremendously well-made. I also picked up some 7-fold Isaia's ($55), Balenciaga's ($35), and Barbara's ($40?). Lots of nice Holliday & Brown ($40) that I did not pull the trigger on (9 ties I bought were 9 too many).

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay

I also picked up some 7-fold Isaia's ($55), Balenciaga's ($35), and Barbara's ($40?). Lots of nice Holliday & Brown ($40) that I did not pull the trigger on (9 ties I bought were 9 too many).

Yikes, now I'm going to have to brave that mess of a store.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

Whenever I visit C21 I feel like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
blush.gif

I'll add Daffy's to the mix.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have some dead stock ties from the 60's that are narrow.
I also have some decent 3 1/4" ties that are machine made in decent silk. all Are only $10 to styleforum members

Carl

CEGO

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

If you can, go to C21 very early in the morning on a weekday. It's usually pretty dead, and the stock is in better order.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love C21, best deals for ties in NYC in my opinion. Fortunately, I don't live close enough that I can go more then a couple of times a year or I would have a lot more ties.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info, all.

I'll be heading down there in the next day or two, the wedding's on Saturday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads