• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive Manhattan MTM Shirts

NYClawyer

Reaction score
I was thinking about ordering some MTM shirts online from Jantzen or ModernTailor, but since I live in NYC, would it be better to get from a local shirtmaker?

I'm looking to keep the cost under $50 per shirt -- looking for a very slim cut look, nothing too extravagant in terms of patterns.

I currently wear BB Slim Cut, but they're not fitted enough for my taste.

Thanks.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYClawyer
I was thinking about ordering some MTM shirts online from Jantzen or ModernTailor, but since I live in NYC, would it be better to get from a local shirtmaker?

I'm looking to keep the cost under $50 per shirt -- looking for a very slim cut look, nothing too extravagant in terms of patterns.

I currently wear BB Slim Cut, but they're not fitted enough for my taste.

Thanks.

Other than the travelling Indian/Southeast asian tailors or maybe a Mohan's, I doubt you can get MTM in the city for $50. If you can, the quality, construction and fit will be terrible. You are better off with jantzen, just take into account that you will waste 2-3 shirts to get the fit right.

SKater

Reaction score
Cost under $50 for a MTM shirt in Manhattan? Good luck finding one and let me know if you do.

Mentos

Reaction score
You can barely find good shirts off the rack for $50 in NYC. Go with CEGO and buy fewer shirts.

NYClawyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Other than the travelling Indian/Southeast asian tailors or maybe a Mohan's, I doubt you can get MTM in the city for $50. If you can, the quality, construction and fit will be terrible. You are better off with jantzen, just take into account that you will waste 2-3 shirts to get the fit right.
Yes, a "travelling Indian/Southeast asian tailor" could be right up my alley! Anyone have any experience with a specific one or any recommendations, cautions, etc.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try mytailor, moderntailor, nialma.

NYClawyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
Try mytailor, moderntailor, nialma.
I guess getting back to my original query (sorry if this was not clear), would you recommend ModernTailor over a local NYC option, including a local travelling Asian tailor?

JT82

Reaction score
I would recommend CEGO over any of the traveling tailor options. If you live in NYC, it's especially convenient and Carl will work with you get a perfect fit.

NYClawyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JT82
I would recommend CEGO over any of the traveling tailor options. If you live in NYC, it's especially convenient and Carl will work with you get a perfect fit.
I have seen CEGO discussed quite favorably, but it seems like that's going to run me $100+, no? Worth just trying my luck with ModernTailor or Jantzen for $30-$40 a pop? Any similar options to CEGO in NYC that are less expensive?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want quality, you're going to have to pay for it. You're better off sticking with Brooks Brothers RTW, and gradually supplementing with nicer custom shirts (CEGO is a good recommendation). Jantzen is a crap shoot, and I don't think I've ever heard a nice thing about the cheap traveling guys.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYClawyer
I have seen CEGO discussed quite favorably, but it seems like that's going to run me $100+, no?

Worth just trying my luck with ModernTailor or Jantzen for $30-$40 a pop? Any similar options to CEGO in NYC that are less expensive?

If you want to spend that little on a shirt, I think you should just go with an OTR shirt. I personally wouldn't trust the work of any MTM service that charged less than around $150 for a custom shirt.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
If you want quality, you're going to have to pay for it. You're better off sticking with Brooks Brothers RTW, and gradually supplementing with nicer custom shirts (CEGO is a good recommendation). Jantzen is a crap shoot, and I don't think I've ever heard a nice thing about the cheap traveling guys.

+1

Keep buying RTW shirts on sale and take them to a tailor who can slim them down or throw darts in them for around $25.00 per shirt. Don't waste your time with those traveling tailors.

NYClawyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, fellas.

While I was originally thinking about going the cheap route...maybe I'll just suck it up and get some CEGO shirts!

Seems like a quality operation and I like the idea of actually getting measured and having someone to talk to rather than dealing with an Internet operation or a traveling tailor.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads