• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive Furniture Shopping For The 99%

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're talking Pier 1, Target, IKEA, Bed Bath & Beyond, Auctions, yard sales, etc...

I've been unemployed for the last year (just barely started working again) and am living in an apartment. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on furniture / accessories but need to make things look decent for the next couple of years (until I'm done with school).

Suggestions? Discussion? Websites?

KurtS90

Reaction score
Most of my furniture was free in the living room... My room well I got a nice bed and cardboard nightstands.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Between Freecycle and Craigslist you should be able to furnish almost any size home for under $100 all in.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Craigslist is a good option, but keep in mind the crap for sale on it at any given time for outweighs anything of good taste. Target actually carries some decent stuff if you buy the right brand/line. Also, keep an eye out for sales from more expensive stores like West Elm.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you need? Small round dining table or just bar stools? Decent couch, tv, bed, desk?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you need? Small round dining table or just bar stools? Decent couch, tv, bed, desk?

I wasn't looking for anything in particular yet looking for anything that's appealing (if that makes sense). Just looking to get ideas and suggestions regarding what's out there. I always forget about Craigslist.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little late, but 2nd craigslist. It's most useful if you know brand names you're looking for. Like Cb2, eames, etc.

paradoxical3

Reaction score
Craigslist. I got a free Noguchi table and a Paulistano chair for $200. Both in mint condition (one scratch on the table). Had to drive two and a half hours, but common....ridiculous score.

Just figure out some pieces that you want and check craigslist everyday for them. Took me a few weeks before I came across anything decent.

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with Craigslist though is that you need a truck to pick up the stuff. For me, this has never been an option since nothing fits in my car and none of my friends have trucks either.

Relatively cheap, decent furniture would be IKEA (as you mentioned) or check out Living Spaces.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'd rather sit on the floor than some ****** couch. Save your money, buy a great couch or table, and feel the joy one can experience when you realize you didn't waste money on a bunch of **** that was going to hold you over for about ten minutes before you started to envy something better. Just do it right the first time. Accumulate your life's material slowly if necessary. There's no need to race to the finish line.

Last edited:

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im in the same boat. while id like to buy a very nice couch or whatever in the future, that future is somewhat far off. currently im living in an apartment and am pretty much moving every year.

ive come to the conclusion that there really isnt any point in buying furniture anymore, or at least until im in a much more stable situation. the only thing i will buy is a (king?) mattress. so ive been really thinking about just getting a bunch of free **** off craigslist and giving them new life by restaining, painting, etc. them. i think that its just easier to coordinate everything that way. and that it would be cheaper than if i actually bought cheap stuff on craigslist.

im currently in the dc/nova area, and theres always a lot of good stuff it seems. i have access to a large van and im also living close to my parents so ill have a workspace to do the projects.

ive been trying to think about what it is i should get as i am about to move again next mo. from my fully furnished apt and some ideas as to what i should do with the items i acquire. im thinking i should start a thread about the projects ill do throughout the course of the next 30 days or so. do you guys have any recs as to where i should look to for inspiration (blogs, vids, articles, pictures, etc)? ive looked through the nester.com which is pretty interesting. ive also looked through some stuff on pinterest, but find a lot of that stuff is too precious for my tastes.

thanks.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for CL. We've scored some unbelievable deals on there. Some of the best stuff came via Connecticut. The main thing is to use key words in your searches, brand names, terms like 'solid wood', etc. It helped that I had a truck at the time to move stuff but sometimes the deal is worth paying a dude with a van to pick it up and deliver.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The problem with Craigslist though is that you need a truck to pick up the stuff. For me, this has never been an option since nothing fits in my car and none of my friends have trucks either.
Relatively cheap, decent furniture would be IKEA (as you mentioned) or check out Living Spaces.

If you're saving real money when getting larger furniture (say a $1000 couch for $200), I don't see why you can rent a truck.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Another vote for CL. We've scored some unbelievable deals on there. Some of the best stuff came via Connecticut. The main thing is to use key words in your searches, brand names, terms like 'solid wood', etc. It helped that I had a truck at the time to move stuff but sometimes the deal is worth paying a dude with a van to pick it up and deliver.

As I was reading through the last couple of pages I was picturing the efforts my siblings and I undertook to empty out my mother's house - in Connecticut. She'd developed some hoarding tendencies, so the house was stuffed to the rafters, and her HOA wouldn't let us have a tag sale and we gave away a lot of stuff on CL just to have somebody else do the heavy lifting. One woman hauled away thousands of dollars worth of upholstery fabric, hundreds of patterns, quilting equipment, etc. Her Honda CRV was stuffed so completely there was barely space for the driver. It was kind of hilarious. Another woman scored dozens of orchids, hundreds of other houseplants, pots and potting tools, etc.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

If you're saving real money when getting larger furniture (say a $1000 couch for $200), I don't see why you can rent a truck.

And, it's easy to find a mover on CL.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads