• We would like welcome Enzo Custom as an official Affiliate Vendor. Specializing in custom tailored clothing, and with seven showrooms throughout the country, they are dedicated to guiding you in person through their many options to produce your perfect fitting suit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Inexpensive classic trench coat?

AX2007

Reaction score
I'm searching for a relatively inexpensive trench coat that can run the gamut from casual to business casual (I rarely wear suits in my day-to-day life). Something that I could wear with jeans and a sweater all the way up to a sport coat and pants. I prefer the classic trench coat style that is double-breasted with a belt. I have seen this style of coat for about $150 from companies like Topman, but prefer something that is a little darker than what seems to be the ubiquitous light khaki color. Any suggestions for something that is better quality than Topman in darker tan, olive green, navy, or dark grey that doesn't break the bank?

Nyarlathotep

Reaction score
An 80's Burberry from eBay, or a newer Burberry London one, stay away from Brit.

ovlov

Reaction score
Not sure what your budget is but I got mine made by Luxire a bit over a year ago and was very happy with the result. Depending on options I think the price starts from about $500-600. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than Burberry etc.

They will basically make whatever you want to your measurements. I sent them a pic of an Aquascutum coat that I really liked (but retailed for about $1500) and they did a pretty good job of matching it.

AX2007

Reaction score
Not sure what your budget is but I got mine made by Luxire a bit over a year ago and was very happy with the result. Depending on options I think the price starts from about $500-600. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than Burberry etc.

They will basically make whatever you want to your measurements. I sent them a pic of an Aquascutum coat that I really liked (but retailed for about $1500) and they did a pretty good job of matching it.
That’s an interesting idea that I will likely indulge after I have lived with one for a while, since I don’t know what will work for me yet.

I think I might buy something used first and give it a season to see what I like, what I don’t like etc and then have something made.

AX2007

Reaction score
So.... yea. Does anyone have ideas on how to wear a trench coat with anything more casual than a suit? I know this isn't MFA, but photos are welcome.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So.... yea. Does anyone have ideas on how to wear a trench coat with anything more casual than a suit? I know this isn't MFA, but photos are welcome.
Turtle neck and grey flannels? I wouldn’t wear it as casual wear. Rainy casual wear for me is boots, jeans and a Barbour jacket. My trench is for bad weather business wear.

johng70

Reaction score
London Fog is nice. If you're OK with a shorter coat, Banana Republic makes on (or did) that worked well for me - just too short. The trend seems to be shorter trench coats. I wanted a full length and last year bit the bullet and bought the Aquascutum Bogart. No doubt you can tell the difference - but I certainly paid for it. Inexpensive full length, London Fog is the only one I'm familiar with. They don't fall apart and look very decent for the price.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.