• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive but decent quality suits <$700

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
I have learned a great deal from this forum about higher quality clothing, and the hallmarks of a better suit, non fused, hand stiched etc. Now that I have accomplished this can someone point to a prior thread or start a new one on a lower end but decent quality product for poor weather. Also for those new yorkers who need a wear like iron subway suit for a day or two each week.

Ihave seen things on the web such as the suits at dann on line, FIH and vavra italy. Any comments on these or other suggestions would be gratly appreciated. As most know syms or centruy 21 is hit or miss....

wja

Reaction score
What's a subway suit?

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
a subway suit is for those of us who have to ride the century old method of mass transportation masquerading as public transit in new york city. This of course includes 100 degree heat, spills, and other assorted hazards to your clothing which accrues in close prximity to thousnads of fellow, spillers, vomiters, dirty kids , gum and all that other fun stuff.

stated otherwise, the suit to wear when your scared to wear the brioni....

cpac

Reaction score
as a fellow straphanger I can only say that you should lighten up a little. There's no point to owning nicer things if you cant wear them regularly.

But more to your question - the regular recommendations are to either look for great deals, whether at c21, a sample sale, filenes, or on ebay. Beyond those, for that price you can get a number of different fused things - but beyond finding a sears-tephlon coated suit, I'm not sure what would make a suit ok for the subway beyond price...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure on the subway: avoid wearing your nice shoes. I ride the subway every day wearing sneakers and after a few days they start to develop a black grime on them that's difficult to remove. I have no idea where it comes from, so I figure that it must be from the general dirtiness of the place.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There was a thread on this a few months back - I believe it was linux_pro that started it asking about a &quot;workhorse&quot; suit. I can't remember the resolution of that but there was a lot of discussion as to the type of fabric, color, pattern (or not), etc. Might be useful if someone can find it.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One thing is for sure on the subway: avoid wearing your nice shoes.  after a few days they start to develop a black grime on them that's difficult to remove.  I have no idea where it comes from, so I figure that it must be from the general dirtiness of the place.
Sounds like the recent Esquire/GQ advice on how to antique your shoes.

cpac

Reaction score
One thing is for sure on the subway: avoid wearing your nice shoes.  I ride the subway every day wearing sneakers and after a few days they start to develop a black grime on them that's difficult to remove.  I have no idea where it comes from, so I figure that it must be from the general dirtiness of the place.
You guys must be riding different subway lines from me. Sure you can get dirty if you step in puddles or whatever, but neither my suits, nor my shoes get any dirtier from the subway than they would from walking along the streets...

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
The subway line I ride, the 1-9, was recently rated the dirtiest subway line in NYC. Something like only 14% of the cars were rated as acceptably clean--not a high standard at all--by the group doing the survey. In terms of the cleanliness and reliability of its trains, the MTA has definitely regressed in the last few years.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The subway line I ride, the 1-9, was recently rated the dirtiest subway line in NYC. Something like only 14% of the cars were rated as acceptably clean--not a high standard at all--by the group doing the survey. In terms of the cleanliness and reliability of its trains, the MTA has definitely regressed in the last few years.
I ride the A-C, can't imagine that it's much cleaner than the 1-9.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Is he the guy who deducted his clothing expenses from his taxes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads