Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Indy Boots for Rain

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cioni2k, May 13, 2010.

1. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Hey everyone,

My job has a business casual dress environment and over the past year I've been drastically increasing my wardrobe to fit the bill. However I've hit a road bump when it comes to rain/inclement weather. I refuse to wear my nicer leather sole dress shoes in the rain, and the only pair of boots I own are suede Desert Boots (which obviously will not work). So when it rains, I'm forced to wear my square-toe black slip-ons from years ago before I knew any better, which I just can't take much more of. I was thinking of investing in a nice pair of boots that will not look too out of place in a more upscale business casual environment.

Which leads me to my question... (and it may be a stupid one), are Alden Indy boots designed to take a beating and get wet? Would I need to waterproof the leather? And lastly, would it make sense to topy the bottom or is the cork/rubber sole designed to withstand these kind of conditions?

Hopefully this isn't a "duh" answer considering the cost of these boots, I figured I'd ask. Thanks

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Indy = Indiana Jones, yeah that guy. I don't see why not.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Indy boots can take quite a beating, but for dressier boots consider something like the Alden Roy boot (if you can find one), or even the Alden Chukka boot.

I am a fan of the Alden All Weather Walker for rainy days.

4. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Indy = Indiana Jones, yeah that guy. I don't see why not.

Yeah, this is what I figured. I just wanted to verify before dropping that much on a pair of boots. I assume there is a leather-specific water proofing spray? Then a good layer of wax polish should do it?

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yeah, this is what I figured. I just wanted to verify before dropping that much on a pair of boots. I assume there is a leather-specific water proofing spray? Then a good layer of wax polish should do it?

No you use a healthy dose of Filson boot oil or Lexol conditioner. In a few days after the oil soaks in you apply a healthy amount of Snoseal which you melt in using a hair dryer. Spray water proofer is virtually useless and regular polish isn't an effective water barrier either.

6. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

No you use a healthy dose of Filson boot oil or Lexol conditioner. In a few days after the oil soaks in you apply a healthy amount of Snoseal which you melt in using a hair dryer. Spray water proofer is virtually useless and regular polish isn't an effective water barrier either.
    What does this treatment end up doing to the leather? Is it possible to waterproof dress leather boots (e.g. a country boot) this way?

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

What does this treatment end up doing to the leather? Is it possible to waterproof dress leather boots (e.g. a country boot) this way?

It will darken the leather a bit which is unavoidable. The oil keeps the leather nourished and somewhat water resistant. Snoseal has some conditioner in it along with bees wax. It's an extremely effective water proofer for leather. While we are on the subject it's also advisable to use a good leather cleaner every once in a while too. Lexol makes a good one. Regular use keeps the leather breathable which is a good thing.

I use this method on all my leather goods except suede. That includes briefcases, dress shoes, work boots, jackets, gun belts and holsters, knife sheaths, other small leather accessories and horse tack.

8. gary3594

gary3594 Active Member

9. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Get a Alden cordovan indy boot with a rubber commando sole from Alden Shoes of Carmel. The cordovan leather is more resistant to water. http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/shoes.htm
    Who wears cordovan as a beater boot?

10. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

I'm starting to think I might be better off saving money and just getting a pair of Clarks Desert Boots in Beeswax leather. This way if they do get screwed up from the rain I wont care

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Hey everyone,

My job has a business casual dress environment and over the past year I've been drastically increasing my wardrobe to fit the bill. However I've hit a road bump when it comes to rain/inclement weather. I refuse to wear my nicer leather sole dress shoes in the rain, and the only pair of boots I own are suede Desert Boots (which obviously will not work). So when it rains, I'm forced to wear my square-toe black slip-ons from years ago before I knew any better, which I just can't take much more of. I was thinking of investing in a nice pair of boots that will not look too out of place in a more upscale business casual environment.

Which leads me to my question... (and it may be a stupid one), are Alden Indy boots designed to take a beating and get wet? Would I need to waterproof the leather? And lastly, would it make sense to topy the bottom or is the cork/rubber sole designed to withstand these kind of conditions?

Hopefully this isn't a "duh" answer considering the cost of these boots, I figured I'd ask. Thanks

BUy rain boots.

12. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

I'm starting to think I might be better off saving money and just getting a pair of Clarks Desert Boots in Beeswax leather. This way if they do get screwed up from the rain I wont care
    Before you do, perhaps you should review the name of the boot you just mentioned and ponder whether it's suited for rain.

13. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Before you do, perhaps you should review the name of the boot you just mentioned and ponder whether it's suited for rain.

[​IMG] touchÃ[​IMG]

14. robin

robin Senior member

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I've worn mine in the rain several times w/o a problem, then again I live in SoCal and it only rains here a handful of times. I wouldn't recommend desert boots in the rain, I could imagine the crepe sole being real slippery and I could imagine it being destroyed within a few wears in the rain.