• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Industry Article: 2008 Most Prestifious Men's Luxury Brand

heard546

Reaction score
NEW YORK, NY, Jun 05 (MARKET WIRE) --
High net-worth male consumers rated Ermenegildo Zegna the most prestigious
men's luxury fashion brand in the 2008 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI)
survey from the independent New York City-based Luxury Institute
(www.LuxuryInstitute.com). Respondents who would recommend Ermenegildo Zegna
say it is "simply beautiful," they have "the best knits in the world," and
"great suits and dress clothes." Armani and Brioni ranked second and third,
respectively.

"Zegna's strong ratings in 2008 demonstrate that you don't have to be the
most expensive brand to be the most relevant," said Milton Pedraza, CEO of
the Luxury Institute. "Consumer comments as to why they will recommend Zegna
indicate the brand delivers great luxury fundamentals that appeal to wealthy
men of all ages, and has an emotional connection others lack. Some key brands
are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Brioni is very prestigious to men over 55,
but
needs more traction with younger, wealthy men, while Tom Ford may be the
'hippest designer' according to some younger men, but is still earning his
stripes with wealthiest males over 55. It is not only about creativity. It is
mostly about relevance. Men's fashion designers often work in a vacuum and have
a
great deal to learn from the candid ratings and comments of wealthy men in this
impartial survey," said Pedraza.

Following are the 23 luxury men's fashion brands that were rated
(alphabetical
order):

1.Armani
2.Brioni
3.Brooks Brothers
4.Burberry
5.Calvin Klein
6.Canali
7.Dior
8.Dolce & Gabbana
9.Ermenegildo Zegna
10.Faconnable
11.Ferragamo
12.Gucci
13.Hugo Boss
14.John Varvatos
15.Louis Vuitton
16.Marc Jacobs
17.Michael Kors
18.Prada
19.Ralph Lauren
20.Tom Ford
21.Tommy Bahama
22.Versace
23.Yves Saint Laurent

The proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey is the only
measureof the prestige of leading brands among wealthy Americans. A national
sample of
803 wealthy male American consumers, with an average income of $348K and
average net worth of $3.6 million, was surveyed online. Survey results are
weighted to match demographic and net-worth profiles of the same audience
according to the latest Survey of Consumer Finances from The Federal Reserve.

About the Luxury Institute

The Luxury Institute is the uniquely independent and impartial ratings,
reviews
and research institution that is the trusted and respected voice of the high
net-worth consumer. The Institute provides a portfolio of proprietary
publications and research that guides and educates high net-worth individuals
and the companies that cater to them on leading edge trends, high net-worth
consumer rankings and ratings of luxury brands, and best practices. The
Luxury Institute also operates the Luxury Board (www.LuxuryBoard.com), the
world's first global, membership-based online community for luxury goods and
services executives, professionals and entrepreneurs. To reach the Luxury
Institute, please call 646-792-2669 or go to www.LuxuryInstitute.com.

LuxuryInstitute.com

Thought some of my fellow forum members would be interested in this topic.

-tony

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have my own list:

1.The Bijan
2.The Bijan
3.The Bijan
4.The Bijan
5.The Bijan
6.The Bijan
7.The Bijan
8.The Bijan
9.The Bijan
10.The Bijan
11.The Bijan
12.The Bijan
13.The Bijan
14.The Bijan
15.The Bijan
16.The Bijan
17.The Bijan
18.The Bijan
19.The Bijan
20.Tom Ford
21.Tommy Bahama
22.The Bijan
23.Engineered Garments

- B

robasaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heard546
1.Armani
2.Brioni
3.Brooks Brothers
4.Burberry
5.Calvin Klein
6.Canali
7.Dior
8.Dolce & Gabbana
9.Ermenegildo Zegna
10.Faconnable
11.Ferragamo
12.Gucci
13.Hugo Boss
14.John Varvatos
15.Louis Vuitton
16.Marc Jacobs
17.Michael Kors
18.Prada
19.Ralph Lauren
20.Tom Ford
21.Tommy Bahama
22.Versace
23.Yves Saint Laurent

I sell some of these brands for a living, and my co-workers quite often stand around chatting about consumers perception of them. Customers come in and ask us for Hugo Boss or Dolce & Gabbana or Gucci or (my favourite) Tommy Bahama, thinking that it's the ultimate in luxury and quality. We laugh at them behind their backs and make jokes about how terrible a lot of this stuff is. Marketing is really something, eh?

Omega Man

Reaction score
Gee, had they known about SF, I think their answers will be a lot different. Heck, some of the names won't even (or ever) be on that list!!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Brioni and Canali are that well-known.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmmm...prestifious. sounds like a word Professor Fabulous would use to describe an artfully-crafted pastry.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure we all have a great deal to learn from the candid ratings and comments of wealthy men in this and other impartial survey

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
I sell some of these brands for a living, and my co-workers quite often stand around chatting about consumers perception of them. Customers come in and ask us for Hugo Boss or Dolce & Gabbana or Gucci or (my favourite) Tommy Bahama, thinking that it's the ultimate in luxury and quality. We laugh at them behind their backs and make jokes about how terrible a lot of this stuff is. Marketing is really something, eh?

Boy, and we give ourselves a hard time for "internet groupthink" ...
eh.gif

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Customers come in and ask us for Hugo Boss or Dolce & Gabbana or Gucci or (my favourite) Tommy Bahama, thinking that it's the ultimate in luxury and quality.

I honestly am having trouble coming to terms with the fact that anyone would consider Tommy Bahama to be a luxurious brand. Every time I see one of the print ads I instantly cringe.

heard546

Reaction score
I am former brand manager and marketing research analyst, and its funny what people assume is luxury vs. trendy.

-tony

heard546

Reaction score
Lets start own list of top 15. I will post mine once I get off work.
-tony

heard546

Reaction score
According to Forbes Best Life, Brioni and Canali are in the top 5 in the luxury tie market. And ranked about the same in the Robb Report.

-tony

heard546

Reaction score
We don't have to be wealthy to obtain some of the luxury brands in the marketplace. We just have to be/become educated and smart shoppers. When I shop for myself I only search for luxury items that have been deeply discounted. Otherwise, I will just wait until a good sale comes along.

-tony

danyllau

Reaction score
Customers come in and ask us for Hugo Boss or Dolce & Gabbana or Gucci or (my favourite) Tommy Bahama, thinking that it's the ultimate in luxury and quality. We laugh at them behind their backs and make jokes about how terrible a lot of this stuff is.
While they are definately not "ultimate in luxury and quality", i would say most are not that terrible... aside from Hugo Boss ( I can never find quality in them) lol... I have a Khaki shorts from Tommy Bahamas, only thing they have that will actually fit me, I find the quality of it extremely good. But **** their overly baggy shirts and prices lol. Some of the stuff that Gucci makes (especially those without visible branding/monogram ones) are hard to match, even most of the branded ones I would not say they are terrible in quality just i hate the branding on it lol. But I think those stuff are not really made by Gucci itself.

robasaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danyllau
While they are definately not "ultimate in luxury and quality", i would say most are not that terrible... aside from Hugo Boss ( I can never find quality in them) lol...

I have a Khaki shorts from Tommy Bahamas, only thing they have that will actually fit me, I find the quality of it extremely good. But **** their overly baggy shirts and prices lol. Some of the stuff that Gucci makes (especially those without visible branding/monogram ones) are hard to match, even most of the branded ones I would not say they are terrible in quality just i hate the branding on it lol. But I think those stuff are not really made by Gucci itself.

Most of my associates and I agree, after spending considerable time around many of these luxury brands, that the quality is not necessarily poor. Prada tailoring, for instance, is actually quite nice, and I don't even find it to be much of a markup in terms of quality vs. price. That having been said, I would much rather buy a Pal Zileri suit than Prada. Prada does it well, Pal Zileri does it right.

Our customers, however, have Prada so ingrained into their minds as a top luxury brand thanks to marketing and promotion that they are often wary of even looking at something like Pal Zileri because they have never heard the name. Since they do not generally have the trained eye to differentiate what makes Pal Zileri so much nicer than Prada, they are left to my explanation, and being the salesman, I am almost always immediately mistrusted by my customers if I try to tell them about something they do not know. I must be making a "sales pitch". It can often be very difficult to work against marketing, and the consumer attitude towards these brands is very much an example of groupthink.

On the subject of Tommy Bahama, I have no issue with quality or value. That stuff all just looks awful. But hey, if you want to dress like a slobby 55-year-old couch commando, then more power to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads