1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Industry Article: 2008 Most Prestifious Men's Luxury Brand

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heard546, Nov 25, 2008.

1. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

Glennie may be the world's most pestiferous men's brand.

2. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

If anything, the results of this survey show the power of Marketing and brand equity. A lot of the brands listed have reached a status (a la Mercedes, Lexus, etc...) where brand image and status takes precedence over actual quality and craftsmanship.

This survey of wealthy individuals show that noone is immune to the marketing machine and consumerism that have such a strong role in our lives.

3. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

Like you said, if someone never heard of a brand, it's hard to trust most sales rep on it lol. On an other note, do you find ur clients more incline to respect such "unknown" brand if they saw the price-tag at comparable price point of these popular brands?

I find the opposite, in fact. If the garment carries a comparable price tag but the client has not heard of the brand before, they generally have a tough time believing said garment to be worth that kind of money. Of course, this has to be taken with a grain of salt as I live in Calgary, Canada and many of the customers I deal with are total hicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. yo!

yo! Senior member

I might be a little late to the party but, Calvin Klein should not be on that list.

Calvin Klein is the biggest joke of a designer brand ever. Their standard line is absolute rubbish and the fit is essentially standard retail boxy.

They do have others like CK and Calvin Klein Collection which may be better, but what kind of a brand can allow its main line (Calvin Klein) to be such crap and still retain a designer reputation? This is where clever marketing comes in, me thinks...

5. heard546

heard546 Senior member

I became aware of the brand because I saw some ties for sale on ebay. Not much exposer beyond that. However, the bidding prices where numerous and rather high. So, I assumed that it must be a luxury brand because some my customers were bidding against me. Of course I lost.

tony

There is no reason to go beyond...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I might be a little late to the party but, Calvin Klein should not be on that list.

Calvin Klein is the biggest joke of a designer brand ever. Their standard line is absolute rubbish and the fit is essentially standard retail boxy.

They do have others like CK and Calvin Klein Collection which may be better, but what kind of a brand can allow its main line (Calvin Klein) to be such crap and still retain a designer reputation? This is where clever marketing comes in, me thinks...

I couldn't agree more. I can say the same thing about Guess.

7. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

True, but CK is still much more designer then say Ralph Lauren.

8. dopamine

dopamine Senior member

I honestly am having trouble coming to terms with the fact that anyone would consider Tommy Bahama to be a luxurious brand. Every time I see one of the print ads I instantly cringe.

Even the name screams middle-aged balding white male on vacation in the tropics in a 3-star hotel with a slightly dysfunctional family.

9. dopamine

dopamine Senior member

True, but CK is still much more designer then say Ralph Lauren.

At least Ralph Lauren sources some good stuff. CK should mostly be thrown in the trash.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Even after all it's been through, Brooks is still up there.

More shocking, though, are Nos. 5 and 6. Calvin Klein and Canali??

[​IMG]

11. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Following are the 23 luxury men's fashion brands that were rated
    (alphabetical
    order):

Only pointed out because I initially thought that as well...

12. ml77

ml77 Member

I wonder why they don't give a list with the actual order, it'd be interesting. Last year Brioni was first.

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hrm, perhaps I should have read more closely.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

The exclusion of brands like Kiton, Lattanzi, JL and the likes means prestigious is synonymous to popularity rather than exclusivity?

15. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

now that i think about it, zegna is pretty badass. their advertisements are classy and awesome at the same time.

16. Opermann

Opermann Senior member

I'm surprised to see that Borrelli was not even considered. Maybe because their distribution is so limited and they don't spend advertising dollars in magazines? hmmm...

17. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Even the name screams middle-aged balding white male on vacation in the tropics in a 3-star hotel with a slightly dysfunctional family.

I know some people who wear TB and who fit that exact profile!!!

18. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

At least Ralph Lauren sources some good stuff. CK should mostly be thrown in the trash.

Agree. CK gets crappier every time.

19. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

I know some people who wear TB and who fit that exact profile!!!

No not thom browne...