• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indoor Audio Systems

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at putting in a nice new sound system at the studio and was looking around at speakers. We contemplated using in-ceiling speakers but I'm not sure if the sound broadcasts well or not. I figured wall-mounted speakers would broadcast a bit better but I'm unsure of what models to go with.

I want something that's capable of being loud and clear but surround sound and such are unnecessary -- standard stereo is fine. A separate subwoofer isn't needed either. I just want a good speaker that's capable of delivering good sound while being fairly discreet (no floor standing models, please).

Any suggestions?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Budget? One thing to keep in mind with in-walls is that you need enough depth in the wall so the in-wall speaker can fit in there. There are some very thin in-walls now, but it's still a consideration.

--Andre

Zinn

Reaction score
My home was wired for in ceiling speakers and I have never had one complaint regarding sound quality, loudness etc. The most important thing, depending on number of speakers your running off the Amp or Receiver is the need for a power amp. When I originally set up the system and tried to raise the volume, the Receiver would shut down. Once I added my Parasound Halo Amp the sound is amazing. My in-ceiling speakers are from the B&W CMW line. In my prior home, I had KEF speakers and the sound was also extremely good. One note, nothing sounds as good as a standing floor model in my opinion but the ability to control the sound in each room and listen to different music is the only reason I did the in-ceiling method.

breitlingman

Reaction score
Though in general I'm not a huge fan of in-wall speakers, I did hear and like the sound of the Definitive Technology In-Wall speakers:
http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...l/default.aspx

And the Totem Tribe were even better:
http://www.totemacoustic.com/product...ll_in-ceiling/

There are also Wall-Hanging speakers that I personally think sound better. Definitive Tech also makes those, and they are called the Mythos series. However, my favourite on-walls that I've heard that are a reasonable price are the Totem Tribe Architectural (not to be confused with the Tribe In-Walls):

http://www.totemacoustic.com/product.../tribe_series/

Tribe series comes both in wall and hanging. You should probably audition them and decide for yourself which ones sound the best. As to whether or not In-Ceiling speakers will be good enough for you depends a lot on how picky you are
smile.gif

wetnose

Reaction score
Orb audio also fits the bill but you may need a small subwoofer to compensate for the size of those things.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with some Polks that sound great for the price I paid ($69.99/pair marked down from $179.99).

Wrigglez

Reaction score
check out B&W loudspeakers. i have a pair of floor standing ones (actualy there bookshelves with stands) and they are amazing really amazing (i have the B&W 602's) they make in wall/roof custom speakers and if they are as good as what i have you will be very happy indeed!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Polk is okay but also check out Paradigm, AudioEngine and PSB. I also like Spendor, Monitor, and some B&W.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Giving recommendations without knowing the OP's budget is rather silly.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Giving recommendations without knowing the OP's budget is rather silly.

He bought some Polks with an MSRP around $180 as detailed above so my answer was based on $200 a pair.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyon spec out a decent 5.1 system with receiver for under $1000?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads