• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Benzein recently? My order recently hit the 5 month mark, so I reached out for an update on WhatsApp. It’s been a few weeks on unread now and I noticed that it’s also been a few weeks since he posted anything on Instagram.

basu13

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Benzein recently? My order recently hit the 5 month mark, so I reached out for an update on WhatsApp. It’s been a few weeks on unread now and I noticed that it’s also been a few weeks since he posted anything on Instagram.

Most of the makers are now quoting 4-5 months. Apparently they have a huge backlog. Have put in couple of orders , now it's a long wait. Responses to messages have been somewhat slow generally as well.

Arco808

Reaction score
I have a pair of Sagara shoes (officer derbies with reinforced backstay, you can find pics a couple pages back) and I placed an order for boots a few months back. In retrospect, I think my shoes were sized too small for my taste to I've been requesting sizing adjustment, as the boots are on the same last.

Bagus has been much less responsive in the past 2 months than before that. I figure he's in over his head with the success of the company. He hired his wife to handle part of the customer service (email side). Because I wanted to make sure that we were clear on sizing before the boots were put in production, I decided to write an email instead of just instagram DMs.

I recommend you do that.

If you are dead set on getting your money back and not wait a single more second, you could simply ask for an order cancellation, stating you're dissatisfied with communication and delays. However, with custom products patience goes a long way and I recommend that you just wait it out. Worst case, Sagara's resale value is seemingly excellent for a product that's unworn.

Arco808

Reaction score
Thanks, XWT. After few tries, Bagus did respond. It seems that my booth are going to ready by the end of April. I was not aware that he is a one man shop. In any case, I am looking forward to my shinki shell boots.

Reactions: XWT

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, XWT. After few tries, Bagus did respond. It seems that my booth are going to ready by the end of April. I was not aware that he is a one man shop. In any case, I am looking forward to my shinki shell boots.

He’s not all alone but he has a very small team. I think it’s like 4 of them at most.

i hope your boots are worth the wait.

theofficialhung

Reaction score

I've been having a hard time trying to get a hold of Adi too. I noticed that his last few posts on IG have been promoting benzein.com where he's selling 11" black overdye engineers for $700. That's a pretty big price increase over the $530 I was quoted last month in February.

I'm assuming since I'm on the "old" pricing tier that he's focusing on new customers paying higher prices first. I'm trying to make some changes to my order (change leather on both pairs and the last on one pair) so I really hope he sees my messages before he starts building.

I've tried Instagram DM, WhatsApp (where we talk the most) and email (responded to my PayPal invoice and copied both his personal email and the [email protected]). I think I've exhausted all contact options at this point so hoping for the best.

MD1969

Reaction score
I have a few pairs that use DrSole outsoles. As has been noted in previous posts, they are very hard wearing, much more comfortable than Dainite (but less so that Ridgeway, about the same with Commando), offer excellent grip in changeable weather and look very good. I prefer the half soles and have a pair of Junkards with this sole (see below) as well as several others from other makers. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with DrSole. As you can see from my photos, Junkard also do clean work and I think you will likely be very happy with the outcome on delivery.

View attachment 1761789 View attachment 1761800 View attachment 1761802
Are the Dr. Sole half soles on leather soles heavy, or how do their weight compare to other types of soles?

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
Are the Dr. Sole half soles on leather soles heavy, or how do their weight compare to other types of soles?
I do not find the soles to be heavy. Certainly less heavy than Itshide Commando. I would not worry about the weight of these soles personally.

beautiful_FrEaK

Reaction score
I had these shoes made by Junkard Company for me. Rought-out leather in tan, Vibram sole, double leather midsole. Unfortunately, they are too big for me so someone suggested to post them here as well. I have them up in the sales section:

R6yofZq.jpeg

SXPjBQs.jpeg

YrdSqVo.jpeg
8PWRCTu.jpeg
1hnEaH8.jpeg
iUqXHdH.jpeg

A size US10 / EU 43

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks cool. How's the overall quality from Imperium? I have a pair on order from them , a few more months away though.

Also, could you comment on the sizing part, as compared to your Brannock or other brands ?
My pair of boots has great quality. They are very well made with great stitching.

This pair fits pretty good too. The fit feels similar to the Allen Edmonds 511 last (or the Rancourt 115).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads