• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweats X Onderhoud

1B368182-AABF-47C8-B8FA-6BD19317BEFB.jpeg

basu13

Reaction score
Any feedback/experience with Dr Soles super grip soles which seem to be widely used by most Indonesian bootmakers? How do they compare with say the Dainite or commando soles? Specifically in terms of durability and comfort. I have a boot on order from Junkard and not sure which rubber sole to oot for between half-commando and Dr Soles.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any feedback/experience with Dr Soles super grip soles which seem to be widely used by most Indonesian bootmakers? How do they compare with say the Dainite or commando soles? Specifically in terms of durability and comfort. I have a boot on order from Junkard and not sure which rubber sole to oot for between half-commando and Dr Soles.
Imo, they have better grip and are longer lasting than Dainite or Commando. Go for the half soles if weight is a concern for you. I find them more comfortable than Dainite, but probably a toss up with Commando. Fwiw, I really like them and will likely get some pairs resoled in the future to it.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have experience with all three — to some degree.
The one that I have the most experience with is Dainite. It’s a long-wearing sole. Some people say that it’s hard and not as comfortable as leather. This hasn’t been an issue for me. It’s even less likely to be an issue if you have a full leather midsole along with the Dainite. The only thing that I don’t like about Dainite is that the sole can be slippery when you come inside onto tile (or other hard polished surface) after being outside in the rain.

Itshide Commando is a more rugged looking sole with good durability. The lugs on the main portion of the sole are slightly inset, so it has a good look. I think it’s more comfortable than Dainite. The disadvantage of this sole is the tendency for gravel to get lodged in the lugs — especially on the heel.

The Dr. Sole super grip is well-regarded. I have it on my most recent purchase so I don’t have as much experience with it yet. So far it seems to be holding up very well. (I don’t see any noticeable wear.) Traction and comfort have been good, and it doesn’t have deep lugs that will hold gravel.

All three are good soles.

Last edited:

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have a ton of experience with Dainite yet, but I have boots on Vibram 700, Vibram commando, Biltrite v-thread, Dr. Sole Supergrip and Dr. Sole corded.

IMO if you like the looks, Dr Sole are fantastic. They have an excellent grip and comfort for their threading and thickness. The Corde sole has a different material composition but it has the same thread and sole design. They're both a lot of the same, but the Supergrip feels a bit harder.

Commando soles look good and offer traction but there is an issue of pebbles getting lodged in the threads all the time, and wet snow forms into a huge ball and it gets messy.

Vibram 700 is a great alternative to Dr Sole. It looks slicker but it's not as good tractionwise. Very close though.

Biltrite V-thread looks like a Vibram 700 but grips like a Dr Sole.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score

I have a few pairs that use DrSole outsoles. As has been noted in previous posts, they are very hard wearing, much more comfortable than Dainite (but less so that Ridgeway, about the same with Commando), offer excellent grip in changeable weather and look very good. I prefer the half soles and have a pair of Junkards with this sole (see below) as well as several others from other makers. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with DrSole. As you can see from my photos, Junkard also do clean work and I think you will likely be very happy with the outcome on delivery.

PXL_20220201_122158682 (1).jpeg PXL_20220201_122227540.MP.jpeg PXL_20220201_122234033 (1).jpeg

basu13

Reaction score
I have a few pairs that use DrSole outsoles. As has been noted in previous posts, they are very hard wearing, much more comfortable than Dainite (but less so that Ridgeway, about the same with Commando), offer excellent grip in changeable weather and look very good. I prefer the half soles and have a pair of Junkards with this sole (see below) as well as several others from other makers. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with DrSole. As you can see from my photos, Junkard also do clean work and I think you will likely be very happy with the outcome on delivery.

View attachment 1761789 View attachment 1761800 View attachment 1761802

Those Junkards indeed look sweet. Are these Rocado shell cordovan? If so, how have they been to break in and are they comfortable now?

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
Those Junkards indeed look sweet. Are these Rocado shell cordovan? If so, how have they been to break in and are they comfortable now?
Yes, they are Rocado natural shell SC2089. No break in whatsoever on these or any other Indonesian footwear I have. If you provide foot tracings and measurements,, the Indonesian makers are pretty good at sizing. Could be the size or the mythical "handwelted are more comfortable" thing. It's best to always make sure to ask their opinion on size in my experience.

Full transparency, I asked Junkard for unglazed natural shell and they agreed but messed up and did the glazed stuff. Not a disaster by any means but if you have any customisation at all, it's best to keep messaging them to confirm they are doing the custom stuff. Junkard were very good with me on comms and the boots were close to flawless. At some point I will review these properly but I can say without doubt that Junkard are good makers. I wish they made things like the calf leather tongue clearer as I would have paid more to have shell but overall, they are a really solid option for a competitive price. Renav and Benzein are also very, very solid quality and value wise.

basu13

Reaction score
Yes, they are Rocado natural shell SC2089. No break in whatsoever on these or any other Indonesian footwear I have. If you provide foot tracings and measurements,, the Indonesian makers are pretty good at sizing. Could be the size or the mythical "handwelted are more comfortable" thing. It's best to always make sure to ask their opinion on size in my experience.

Full transparency, I asked Junkard for unglazed natural shell and they agreed but messed up and did the glazed stuff. Not a disaster by any means but if you have any customisation at all, it's best to keep messaging them to confirm they are doing the custom stuff. Junkard were very good with me on comms and the boots were close to flawless. At some point I will review these properly but I can say without doubt that Junkard are good makers. I wish they made things like the calf leather tongue clearer as I would have paid more to have shell but overall, they are a really solid option for a competitive price. Renav and Benzein are also very, very solid quality and value wise.

Thanks- that's a nice crisp summary of your experience. I have almost the exact same make-up on order, but in dark burgundy shell (my first shell makeup). Really looking forward to these. Communication with Junkard has been very transparent and seamless, with really quick response times (literally received responses within an hour most times). Price was quite fair too, and to sweeten things, they offered free delivery to my country.

Let's hope they turn out as good as yours!

Arco808

Reaction score
Anyone here had experience buying from Sagara? I am having terrible experience with the company. I order a pair of boots over 6 months ago. I still have not received them after a lot of excuses from Bagus. None responsive. Any ideas how I can either get my money back l?

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here had experience buying from Sagara? I am having terrible experience with the company. I order a pair of boots over 6 months ago. I still have not received them after a lot of excuses from Bagus. None responsive. Any ideas how I can either get my money back l?

I have a pair of Sagara shoes (officer derbies with reinforced backstay, you can find pics a couple pages back) and I placed an order for boots a few months back. In retrospect, I think my shoes were sized too small for my taste to I've been requesting sizing adjustment, as the boots are on the same last.

Bagus has been much less responsive in the past 2 months than before that. I figure he's in over his head with the success of the company. He hired his wife to handle part of the customer service (email side). Because I wanted to make sure that we were clear on sizing before the boots were put in production, I decided to write an email instead of just instagram DMs.

I recommend you do that.

If you are dead set on getting your money back and not wait a single more second, you could simply ask for an order cancellation, stating you're dissatisfied with communication and delays. However, with custom products patience goes a long way and I recommend that you just wait it out. Worst case, Sagara's resale value is seemingly excellent for a product that's unworn.

basu13

Reaction score
Anyone communicated with Monroe boots recently? I have been trying to get in touch with them over Instagram, WhatsApp and email and have so far not received any responses on any of the channels.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
In both Sagara and Monroe's case they have announced collaborations with US retailers who are going to stock RTW boots from them - Standard and Strange and Baker's respectively. I suspect that this has taken up a huge amount of their focus, hence lack of response. (This is a possible explanation, not an excuse).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads