• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up. I went with Santalum (it was between them and Monroe). People on the Stitchdown discord (who are OBSESSIVE about boots and shoes) gave me some handy tips. I don't think either maker is as good as Onderhoud, Renava or Benzein but they are both quicker and cheaper, and I don't need such high quality. Monroe was responsive via WhatsApp and Santalum via email, which I preferred. Both charged the same; $350 for foreign leathers (I went with Horween waxed flesh).
I’m looking forward to seeing them.

I’ve been following about 8 different bootmakers on Instagram over the last few months. Santalum is one of those, and it looks like they do a great job!

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score

I’ve been following about 8 different bootmakers on Instagram over the last few months. Santalum is one of those, and it looks like they do a great job!
Here's hoping... I am not concerned that they will follow instructions or with the quality - my primary concern is the fit. I did send pictures and measurements both with and without thick socks and orthotic inserts. They recommended a 43, while I usually take a 44 for boots with socks, and I asked them to up it to a 43.5 - before seeing that the last they were using was usually a full size smaller than usual. I have asked them to confirm that a 43.5 is still OK; I am now worried it might be a bit big.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's hoping... I am not concerned that they will follow instructions or with the quality - my primary concern is the fit. I did send pictures and measurements both with and without thick socks and orthotic inserts. They recommended a 43, while I usually take a 44 for boots with socks, and I asked them to up it to a 43.5 - before seeing that the last they were using was usually a full size smaller than usual. I have asked them to confirm that a 43.5 is still OK; I am now worried it might be a bit big.
It’s better to be a half-size big than a half-size small!

Reaction score

The biggest issue is that most of them measure from heel to toe instead of heel to ball when determining your size. Between that and the sizes are typically smaller than the other brands equivalent. You may still find them a bit small but best to go up just in case.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selamat Natal!

I hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Onderhoud SVC03 Service boot in Horween Color 8 Shell Cordovan

F8EDB71D-34C7-4572-B701-A9ABE33467C4.jpeg
1920367B-D6A1-40AE-A52D-47C5D3FB5AF0.jpeg

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@aj2603 those are amazing. I wish they'd answer my querry and let me place an order...

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up. I went with Santalum (it was between them and Monroe). People on the Stitchdown discord (who are OBSESSIVE about boots and shoes) gave me some handy tips. I don't think either maker is as good as Onderhoud, Renava or Benzein but they are both quicker and cheaper, and I don't need such high quality. Monroe was responsive via WhatsApp and Santalum via email, which I preferred. Both charged the same; $350 for foreign leathers (I went with Horween waxed flesh).
Have you received your boots yet?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair that should be arriving soon. He sent me a video over the weekend that showed the finished boots. He said that he just needed to arrange for a photo shoot, then he’d send them my way.

I did not realize that a photo shoot was such a serious thing. I just assumed they took pictures with a cell phone and posted them on Instagram.

I’m getting a little anxiety now that I know they’re done — but they aren’t quite ready to ship.

Soixante

Reaction score
I have a pair that should be arriving soon. He sent me a video over the weekend that showed the finished boots. He said that he just needed to arrange for a photo shoot, then he’d send them my way.

I did not realize that a photo shoot was such a serious thing. I just assumed they took pictures with a cell phone and posted them on Instagram.

I’m getting a little anxiety now that I know they’re done — but they aren’t quite ready to ship.
They need to expose themselves mate, with them not having sites, Ansta photos is the only way they could showcase their products.

Shouldn’t be that long IME, Rizky (Santalum reps) is a nice guy to work with.

Reactions: XWT

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They need to expose themselves mate, with them not having sites, Ansta photos is the only way they could showcase their products.

Shouldn’t be that long IME, Rizky (Santalum reps) is a nice guy to work with.
It’s OK. I understand him wanting to get pictures for Instagram or his website. When he told me that though, I just thought it might be a one-day delay or so. Now I check Instagram several times a day to see if they’re up there.

My order is not with Santalum, by the way.

Soixante

Reaction score
It’s OK. I understand him wanting to get pictures for Instagram or his website. When he told me that though, I just thought it might be a one-day delay or so. Now I check Instagram several times a day to see if they’re up there.

My order is not with Santalum, by the way.
Ah wait, I confused you with somebody else. My bad..

What did ye get?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads