• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wanna know is what's the insole like.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way my preliminary review is, the boots were not entirely worth it, but they are not horrible value either.

They came in at just over 400 + shipping & PayPal fees, which converted in my currency and the market of my country is roughly 70% of the price of a Viberg service boots in CXL.

PROS:

- Looks dope. Dope, dope, dope, dope, dope.
- Those things are built. Seriously built. Overbuilt perhaps even.
- Sole hand welted 270 degree Veldtschoen is super clean, clearly well made. Punches above it's price point in that regard.

CONS:

- Either because my low instep feet are a weird fit for a pull on style (possible) or because of the Prof choosing the wrong last in the first place (also possible) I ended up with a weird foam frankensole. Not too happy about it. The prof really stuck to his guns regarding the necessity of the foam and I decided to buy a piece of 13 oz leather and make myself the insoles I want to have (single layer at ball, double at heel, possibly with a sheepskin insert if I want to eat some more volume and be cosy in the winter).
- There was a manufacturing defect which is currently being fixed. Not stoked about it but I am understanding and the maker took that seriously.
- Not that stoked about the hide (Maryam veg tan horsebutt). I had handled some product made with the same tannage and it felt more substantial. It's not bad and will possibly age well. I don't know yet.

VERDICT

- GET Prof Barnets boots if you like what you see on his Instagram page and are not a picky guy like me.
- PASS if you value consistency and have precise expectations for the outcome.
- VALUE is acceptable but not great.

89C11286-A006-42FE-871E-0A3FCCD9C2C2.jpeg

You can see the upper is scuffed even though I haven't even started wearing them.

1162FEBE-74AD-4DBA-AD5D-694619010577.jpeg

The last is sexy AF. The sole has cool proportion. I asked for a roper style boot, when he didn't usually offer one. Prof designed it from scratch based off his Engineer boots pattern and on that point he absolutely delivered.

2CA9C3CC-F502-4831-BCD6-69BD311E86C1.jpeg

That dramatically curved heel is really good. Makes me forgive the things I like less.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wanna know is what's the insole like.
The insole in my boots appears to be similar to the one that came in your boot. It’s glued down, so I’m not 100% certain that it’s exactly the same.
I don’t mind the insole. I would have preferred that it was not glued down so I could more easily exchange it with another insole.

Reactions: XWT

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way my preliminary review is, the boots were not entirely worth it, but they are not horrible value either.

They came in at just over 400 + shipping & PayPal fees, which converted in my currency and the market of my country is roughly 70% of the price of a Viberg service boots in CXL.

PROS:

- Looks dope. Dope, dope, dope, dope, dope.
- Those things are built. Seriously built. Overbuilt perhaps even.
- Sole hand welted 270 degree Veldtschoen is super clean, clearly well made. Punches above it's price point in that regard.

CONS:

- Either because my low instep feet are a weird fit for a pull on style (possible) or because of the Prof choosing the wrong last in the first place (also possible) I ended up with a weird foam frankensole. Not too happy about it. The prof really stuck to his guns regarding the necessity of the foam and I decided to buy a piece of 13 oz leather and make myself the insoles I want to have (single layer at ball, double at heel, possibly with a sheepskin insert if I want to eat some more volume and be cosy in the winter).
- There was a manufacturing defect which is currently being fixed. Not stoked about it but I am understanding and the maker took that seriously.
- Not that stoked about the hide (Maryam veg tan horsebutt). I had handled some product made with the same tannage and it felt more substantial. It's not bad and will possibly age well. I don't know yet.

VERDICT

- GET Prof Barnets boots if you like what you see on his Instagram page and are not a picky guy like me.
- PASS if you value consistency and have precise expectations for the outcome.
- VALUE is acceptable but not great.

View attachment 1685363

You can see the upper is scuffed even though I haven't even started wearing them.

View attachment 1685364

The last is sexy AF. The sole has cool proportion. I asked for a roper style boot, when he didn't usually offer one. Prof designed it from scratch based off his Engineer boots pattern and on that point he absolutely delivered.

View attachment 1685365

That dramatically curved heel is really good. Makes me forgive the things I like less.
I appreciate this detailed review.

Reactions: XWT

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I was right to wait before making any judgments. My boots arrived from Junkard and they are fabulous. Exactly what I wanted - which was a heavy duty but beautiful all-pupose boot that I could walk over mountains in then buff up for the hotel bar.

They are based on rather (too) elegant Junkard model called the "Vestito," which is basically a field boot like the Crockett and Jones Snowden, although the proportions are a little different. I took some details I liked from the Snowden to adjust the Vestito basic design, including lowering the pull-tab. It's built on a really heavy-duty base (double-layer leather midsole and Dainite commando outsole) all tied to the upper by Norwegian handwelting with a 360º stormwelt. The upper is in Horween Chromexcel "Color 8", and it's fully lined in lambskin. The last, called "SC" is a little more rounded than the one used on the Vestito normally, and it was a structured toe, so one of my fears was that it would just be too bulbous, but it's actually a very pleasing shape and perfect for the shape of my toes. It's finished off with dark brown edge trim, antique brass eyelets and 3 speedhooks on the top.

Straight out of the box, I realised that none of my fears had been realised, and that Junkard had made me exactly what I had imagined. There were very few communications apart from the initial instructions so I had been a little worried, especially when I saw the photo they had sent when it was finished, in which they had somehow made the boot look like a monstrous thing, but it has exactly that combintion of toughness and beauty that I had wanted. I put them straight on and walked home in them from the Post Office, and the sizing is perfect and, while they will take a while to break in fully, they feel... well, like they were made for me! (And no funny plastic insoles either)

So here they are:
DSC01368.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

Last edited:

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah - and these were $480 US, including paypal tax & shipping. And there was a surprisingly small bill from the Canadian customs ($23).

That is indeed a surprisingly small bill!

Didn’t know you were Canadian too.

Nice boots. They’ll serve you well.

JNKRDCOMPANY

Reaction score
Well, I was right to wait before making any judgments. My boots arrived from Junkard and they are fabulous. Exactly what I wanted - which was a heavy duty but beautiful all-pupose boot that I could walk over mountains in then buff up for the hotel bar.

They are based on rather (too) elegant Junkard model called the "Vestito," which is basically a field boot like the Crockett and Jones Snowden, although the proportions are a little different. I took some details I liked from the Snowden to adjust the Vestito basic design, including lowering the pull-tab. It's built on a really heavy-duty base (double-layer leather midsole and Dainite commando outsole) all tied to the upper by Norwegian handwelting with a 360º stormwelt. The upper is in Horween Chromexcel "Color 8", and it's fully lined in lambskin. The last, called "SC" is a little more rounded than the one used on the Vestito normally, and it was a structured toe, so one of my fears was that it would just be too bulbous, but it's actually a very pleasing shape and perfect for the shape of my toes. It's finished off with dark brown edge trim, antique brass eyelets and 3 speedhooks on the top.

Straight out of the box, I realised that none of my fears had been realised, and that Junkard had made me exactly what I had imagined. There were very few communications apart from the initial instructions so I had been a little worried, especially when I saw the photo they had sent when it was finished, in which they had somehow made the boot look like a monstrous thing, but it has exactly that combintion of toughness and beauty that I had wanted. I put them straight on and walked home in them from the Post Office, and the sizing is perfect and, while they will take a while to break in fully, they feel... well, like they were made for me! (And no funny plastic insoles either)

So here they are:
View attachment 1688438
View attachment 1688439
View attachment 1688443
View attachment 1688440
View attachment 1688441
View attachment 1688442

I'm happy for you sir. Thank you so much for trusting Junkard Co. Boots, really appreciate it. :cheers:

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So here they are:
View attachment 1688438
View attachment 1688439
View attachment 1688443
View attachment 1688440
View attachment 1688441
View attachment 1688442
They look awesome

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads