• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

Psyko

Reaction score
So just checking in to see if a five month+ waiting time to get a response to my enquiry is normal with Onderhoud. I sent them a message in April and have yet to receive a response.

I'm aware they are busy, but just wanted to check if anyone else have gotten quicker replies lately?

trg12

Reaction score
So just checking in to see if a five month+ waiting time to get a response to my enquiry is normal with Onderhoud. I sent them a message in April and have yet to receive a response.

I'm aware they are busy, but just wanted to check if anyone else have gotten quicker replies lately?

My understanding is that his replies are highly erratic. I'm waiting for a first response since September 2020. Some reddit users who've contacted him early this year got to give him orders already.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He doesn't reply a whole lot. He got overwhelmed with business and stopped taking new clients a while ago. Then he opened spots using a lottery system to take new clients. Then he decided to stop that and start taking clients on an inquiry basis.

So you're kind of out of luck because it looks like he takes new business at a very low pace.

Regarding my own thing....

I'm still infinitely pissed off at the fact that my boots came with the shittiest insoles imaginable. Unless Prof Barnets really comes through (which he may) I won't give him any more business.

I think I'm gonna buy a piece of 13 oz tooling veg tanned leather and just make myself the insoles I want to have. That is, if I don't find a local cordwainer that can do something satisfactory about it.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feels like a lot of upstarts haven't quite built up a track record yet. I'm curious to see how their construction holds up overtime. One thing I have found is that most are very accommodating to fix issues. Hope you are able to resolve yours

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feels like a lot of upstarts haven't quite built up a track record yet. I'm curious to see how their construction holds up overtime. One thing I have found is that most are very accommodating to fix issues. Hope you are able to resolve yours

So do I. Based on his answers so far he seems to think that he can explain the problem away. On my end I think my dissatisfaction is legitimate. I've looped in a benevolent person who has a certain authority in his scene, in hope to steer him in the direction of resolving this customer service issue in a way I see acceptable.

My sincere hope is that he will admit that his solution to the problem wasn't good enough and that he owns up to having cut corners.

From an external standpoint, the construction, looks, finishing and material are all really good, especially considering the price point. They even fit rather well despite my low instep not being the best shape for pull on boots. I have to hand it to him that his solution, while feeling jury-rigged, was practical.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do I. Based on his answers so far he seems to think that he can explain the problem away. On my end I think my dissatisfaction is legitimate. I've looped in a benevolent person who has a certain authority in his scene, in hope to steer him in the direction of resolving this customer service issue in a way I see acceptable.

My sincere hope is that he will admit that his solution to the problem wasn't good enough and that he owns up to having cut corners.

From an external standpoint, the construction, looks, finishing and material are all really good, especially considering the price point. They even fit rather well despite my low instep not being the best shape for pull on boots. I have to hand it to him that his solution, while feeling jury-rigged, was practical.
Prof Barnets is technically one of the newer ones that we are seeing internationally, right?

Have you thought about a solution that would satisfy you? Maybe bring that up and give them a chance to respond

Reactions: XWT

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prof Barnets is technically one of the newer ones that we are seeing internationally, right?

He is, and I am realizing that there is a "figuring things out" thing going on on his end.

Have you thought about a solution that would satisfy you? Maybe bring that up and give them a chance to respond

I addressed the issue with him in a polite manner. His response was mostly explaining why he did it.

He suggested making me a lambskin insole and shipping it to me at my expense. First I'm unsure lambskin will work given the fact that I have like a 3mm lift at the forefoot and a 7 mm lift at the heel, which is serous skirting cowhide level of thick. Second I don't think I should pay out of pocket for my expectation of a proper insole in a proper boot to be met.

I am, however, still thinking this through.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is, and I am realizing that there is a "figuring things out" thing going on on his end.

I addressed the issue with him in a polite manner. His response was mostly explaining why he did it.

He suggested making me a lambskin insole and shipping it to me at my expense. First I'm unsure lambskin will work given the fact that I have like a 3mm lift at the forefoot and a 7 mm lift at the heel, which is serous skirting cowhide level of thick. Second I don't think I should pay out of pocket for my expectation of a proper insole in a proper boot to be met.

I am, however, still thinking this through.
I agree with you about having to come out of pocket to fix it, especially if you are even unsure it will work. Keep us posted on the outcome!

Hellanormcore

Reaction score

This is probably one of the main things keeping me away from ordering from the current darlings of the Indonesian boot maker scene. In the past couple of years there seems to be a massive increase in makers, and unfortunately some of which are not prepared to cater towards a substantially larger audience afforded by social media exposure not to mention the language barrier.

I find it quite surprising that makers such as Sagara and Jalan Sriwijaya (Fortuna Shoes) doesn't get talked about as much considering they've been doing this for what seems like a much longer time and seem to be consistent with their offerings since becoming popular within the Indonesian denim forums. Cutting corners isn't quite new; some may recall Chevalier boots which were found to have used fibreboard insoles while commanding a premium a couple years back.

On another note, I'm quite curious to hear people's experiences with Benzein. They do a mean sidezip, but not quite sold on the wear picks and finishings I keep seeing on IG.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Hellanormcore I see tour point and I am indeed paying the price of novelty.

I also have an order from Sagara & Benzein, both due in several months. Communication with Bagus of Sagara has been both friendly and open. Benzein I agree like they do make a mean size zip. Fit pics are a reflection of photography skills too ;)

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having seen what you received, I’m guessing that mine will have the same. It’s going to be interesting to see what I get.
It does make me realize that I never discussed this when ordering. I chose the leather, the sole and heel, and even the thread color. And my boots look good in the pictures I’ve seen. But my biggest concern since the beginning has been getting a good fit. Insole or not, the fit is by far the most important issue for me.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having seen what you received, I’m guessing that mine will have the same. It’s going to be interesting to see what I get.
It does make me realize that I never discussed this when ordering. I chose the leather, the sole and heel, and even the thread color. And my boots look good in the pictures I’ve seen. But my biggest concern since the beginning has been getting a good fit. Insole or not, the fit is by far the most important issue for me.

In my case I’m not comfortable on soft sockliners. I don’t mind a bit of padding at the heel but the ball & arch have to be son something rather solid for me to be comfortable. It plays into my dissatisfaction because never had I expected I could get a nike sole in the boot.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boots from Prof Barnet’s arrived today.
I think that they look pretty good.

26579F0A-6D5D-4C90-BBBD-C67D5D705CEC.jpeg
864CB848-629B-43F9-9840-C46B059D7BA4.jpeg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks good! what's the upper leather?
I had my boots made with the olive pull-up leather from a local (Indonesian) tannery.
My first impression is that the leather appears to be good quality. The “pull-up” effect is not nearly as pronounced as Horween CXL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads