• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

saumilkt

Reaction score

Attachments

• 1632811827218.png
    1632811827218.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • 1632811828256.png
    1632811828256.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 61

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Junkard just posted to me right here (on the old Junkard thread), that my boots are almost finished...

So I guess you can still contact them through their forum account too.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my first picture of the boots prior to shipping and frankly, I was a bit disappointed. Partly it's the choices I made, but partly it's because it seems like the makers have made no attempt to produce something that's balanced from those choices. It looks all wrong, in short. I'll reserve judgement until I get the boots IRL and try them on, but I'm not really looking forward to them so much now.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Isn't the goal of MTO making the product that the buyer specified? What exactly is not balanced and how could they have made the product better?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Isn't the goal of MTO making the product that the buyer specified? What exactly is not balanced and how could they have made the product better?

Well, you specify some things but not others, right? There is a basic style. Then there are the options and specifications. But lots of things remain down to the experience, practical and aesthetic judgement of the bootmaker. If the customer asks for heavier weight soles for example, but doesn't say anything about the uppers, you would (well, I would) expect them to look at what the heavier sole does to the aesthetics of the basic design and compensate to make it more balanced. But probably I was assuming too much and perhaps I made mistakes in not being specific enough, and probably I was expecting the impossible. You live and learn. And certainly with doing this at such a distance, you take a risk.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey when I got my first picture of the Prof Barnets boots I ordered I was a bit puzzled. It was indeed what I asked but it didn’t look fantastic.
EEE0B301-A36E-43DB-A7B3-DBC6F87D5BC1.jpeg

But then the boots were properly finished and had their glamour shot taken and I got enthusiastic again.

62F91F1F-9CBD-483A-B6B5-036B4079320C.jpeg

I reserve final judgement for when I get my boots this coming week.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, me too - as I said (but I think yours looks fine and well-proportioned from the first picture too. Mine... not so much).

Reactions: XWT

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey when I got my first picture of the Prof Barnets boots I ordered I was a bit puzzled. It was indeed what I asked but it didn’t look fantastic.
View attachment 1679509
But then the boots were properly finished and had their glamour shot taken and I got enthusiastic again.

View attachment 1679511
They look great in pictures!
I hope that they look as good in real life.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got my boots.

I like them. They are surprisingly roomy yet they don’t feel too big.

But WHY on Earth have they been made with a foam insole over a leather one?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks lovely from outside, but it seems to me like they realised right near the end of the process that they had got the size slightly wrong and chucked in a Nike sneaker insole from somewhere to compensate. Not great.

• Sad
Reactions: XWT

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that’s what happened.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got my boots.

I like them. They are surprisingly roomy yet they don’t feel too big.

They look great!
Looking at the footbed under that insole, it looks like they are designed to have an insole. One advantage of that is that you can swap out insoles and pick one that gives the best fit and comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads