• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

lol_12345

Reaction score
With the increasing popularity of Indonesian boot makers, I was hoping we could get an appreciation thread going. I'm personally waiting on a pair of Packer boots in Badalassi leather from Onderhoud. In the meantime, I would love to see some pictures of how everyone's Indonesian boots are aging. Post em if you got em!

Not my shoes but here's a picture to start off the thread (from RenavGoods):
Messages Image(2974315675).png

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the increasing popularity of Indonesian boot makers, I was hoping we could get an appreciation thread going. I'm personally waiting on a pair of Packer boots in Badalassi leather from Onderhoud. In the meantime, I would love to see some pictures of how everyone's Indonesian boots are aging. Post em if you got em!

Not my shoes but here's a picture to start off the thread (from RenavGoods):
View attachment 1552726
I’m surprised that this thread hasn’t gotten any traction.
Have you received your Onderhoud boots? If so, how do they look?
I recently ordered a pair from Prof Barnet’s.

Reactions: XWT

lol_12345

Reaction score
I’m surprised that this thread hasn’t gotten any traction.
Have you received your Onderhoud boots? If so, how do they look?
I recently ordered a pair from Prof Barnet’s.

me too tbh haha and yeah I received my onderhouds. The construction was great. Unfortunately they were a bit too big for me. I’m a brannock 8.5D and got a pair SVC02s in size 42 and the width was just too much. Rizky was pretty understanding and said I can place another order but I’m not sure if I’ll fit a size 41 either.

What makeup did you get from prof barnets?

lol_12345

Reaction score
after getting onderhoud and benzein, I don't see myself going back to buying vibergs

same. Especially when quality is better and price is cheaper. What makeup did you get from onderhoud

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
me too tbh haha and yeah I received my onderhouds. The construction was great. Unfortunately they were a bit too big for me. I’m a brannock 8.5D and got a pair SVC02s in size 42 and the width was just too much. Rizky was pretty understanding and said I can place another order but I’m not sure if I’ll fit a size 41 either.

What makeup did you get from prof barnets?
I ordered a pair similar to the boots in this picture. I went with the olive green pull-up leather and gold stitching.

E5193DD1-29B7-444A-BAD1-0848FF2835A8.jpeg

I have never ordered from Prof Barnet’s (or any Indonesian maker) before. So I am not 100% sure how they are going to fit, even with the measurements that I provided. The Doctor Sole soles were a $49 upcharge. Those look like good soles, but I didn’t want to risk paying extra if the boots don’t fit. I went with the standard sole instead.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting on a pair from Junkard, which I'll post up here when I get them, probably not for at least another month. What I've got them to do is basically a British field boot (think EG Galway or C&J Snowden) but on a slightly less sleek and more rounded last. I want a multi-purpose boot I can travel in, walk up hills, and also clean up to wear in the hotel bar in the evening.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
same. Especially when quality is better and price is cheaper. What makeup did you get from onderhoud
Is the statement that the "quality" is better just a subjective statement or are you familiar with the components that they use? If the latter I'd love to be educated as I don't think I've ever bothered to ask. I know Winson for instance you can upgrade to leather toe puffs

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me three things
1. Customization - almost anything can be customized. uppers, out soles, boot construction etc
2. Hand work - you are getting to get more hand work because these are small work shops, that typically cannot afford factory machinery
3. Price - $200 - $300 for a handwelted boot is hard to beat

But it’s not all perfect, to keep it balanced the downsides are long lead times because production is made to order and typically there is no stock inventory. Communication could also be challenging given time zones and language issues.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me three things
1. Customization - almost anything can be customized. uppers, out soles, boot construction etc
2. Hand work - you are getting to get more hand work because these are small work shops, that typically cannot afford factory machinery
3. Price - $200 - $300 for a handwelted boot is hard to beat

But it’s not all perfect, to keep it balanced the downsides are long lead times because production is made to order and typically there is no stock inventory. Communication could also be challenging given time zones and language issues.
So maybe flexibility is a better word. I do like that and seems the bigger ones are getting access to really solid leathers as well. When I bought the Benzein pair he said they were Goodyear welted but I'm wondering now if that was just a miscommunication on their end. Do you know which makers are handwelt, hand last and hand stitched soles?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say all the ones big on Instagram are hand welted, hand lasted and hand stitched. Including Benzein.

Best to inquire them to confirm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads