• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

heathenist

Reaction score
Thanks! They quoted me at 5-6 months but it actually finished in a little over 4 months.
Oh nice! I put in an order about 3.5 months ago. I’m fine waiting the full 6 months, but it would be an awesome surprise to only have to wait another month.

How was the sizing? I went with their recommendation, and since then I’ve read a number of people suggesting that you should size up a half size from whatever they recommend. Kinda worried that they aren’t gonna fit, which I would be mega bummed about.

Jello

Reaction score
Oh nice! I put in an order about 3.5 months ago. I’m fine waiting the full 6 months, but it would be an awesome surprise to only have to wait another month.

How was the sizing? I went with their recommendation, and since then I’ve read a number of people suggesting that you should size up a half size from whatever they recommend. Kinda worried that they aren’t gonna fit, which I would be mega bummed about.
So this is actually my second order from them. Previous was in the kujang last in brown oiled Shinki and I luckily sized that perfectly. As a result, sizing for this one was less of a hassle. I basically gave my measurements wearing socks and told them my viberg 2030 sizing for reference and it ended up working out perfectly. I’m sure yours will come out fine! It’s definitely nerve wracking for sure though so I don’t blame you

heathenist

Reaction score
So this is actually my second order from them. Previous was in the kujang last in brown oiled Shinki and I luckily sized that perfectly. As a result, sizing for this one was less of a hassle. I basically gave my measurements wearing socks and told them my viberg 2030 sizing for reference and it ended up working out perfectly. I’m sure yours will come out fine! It’s definitely nerve wracking for sure though so I don’t blame you
Good to hear. I did the same, but gave my red wings size. Fingers crossed I guess lol.

heathenist

Reaction score
Cross post from the boots thread with some added info:

I have a vintage pair of side zips that I found at an antique mall and they were my favorite boots despite rather poor build quality so I was exploring options to either have them rebuilt or order a new pair but was struggling to find side zips that fit the criteria I was looking for. Someone in the boots threat recommended Briselblack and these are exactly what I wanted. They arrived today after a 4.5 month wait time, so nearly a month an a half earlier than expected.

The sizing feels just about perfect. Hard to say without a break in period, but they fit great out of the box. A tiny bit of heel slip that I expect will go away once broken in. I’m a 9.5C-D on the brannock heel to toe. And typically wear an 8.5 in red wing heritage styles. Adi recommended a 41.5 narrow and I think that’s about perfect. A half size up would probably be too big and half size down would be too small.

The roughout of the cognac badalassi leather is a little light than expected; but not in a bad way as I expect it to darken with age. It’s very substantial and I expect the break in to take some time.

This was the order I put in:
The Stride - Side Zip Boots
Last : Kujang
Size : 41.5 Narrow
Upper : Roughout Cognac Badalassi Carlo Minerva Box
Lining :Tan
Midsole : Single
Outsole : Dr Sole Red Brown half soles
Welt Color : Natural
Edge Color : Natural
Welt Stitch : White
Construction : Flatwelt 270°
Toebox : Structured
Heels : Cuban Heels
4DD574E5-DB2E-4A0C-86DF-3476B1D94FB7.jpeg
468CC319-E655-40BD-87DB-AEA7C11EDC9A.jpeg
BF7C63F9-7152-4B76-8B47-3F5C900E91B1.jpeg
13253C37-2D9F-4BCF-A435-4DE544E4DEC1.jpeg

ShouriX

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking to order a chelsea boots from Indonesian makers. I'm looking for a wholecut, and currently torn between santalum, renav, fortis, and tahura. I'd love to put junkard on the list, but they don't have wholecut on their article. Benzein(briselblack) looks awesome, but it's way out of my budget.

I don't mind the wait time, as long as the end results and quality are good. I read in reddit that santalum has beautiful lasts, but their stitching and finishing are not particularly good. I took a look at fortis and their stitching seems tidy from pictures, but I think the last is too rugged and squared.
Which would you guys recommend? Any other suggestions are welcomed

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking to order a chelsea boots from Indonesian makers. I'm looking for a wholecut, and currently torn between santalum, renav, fortis, and tahura. I'd love to put junkard on the list, but they don't have wholecut on their article. Benzein(briselblack) looks awesome, but it's way out of my budget.

I don't mind the wait time, as long as the end results and quality are good. I read in reddit that santalum has beautiful lasts, but their stitching and finishing are not particularly good. I took a look at fortis and their stitching seems tidy from pictures, but I think the last is too rugged and squared.

Santalum has not delivered boots to customers and have gone dark on IG.

Stridewise got ghosted on his order and has posted about it on his IG stories. Pigeontree crafting does collabs with Santalum and his latest boot is in jeopardy.

Don't buy from Santalum until the air has cleared but it doesn't look good for them.

IMG_1282.jpg

basu13

Reaction score

Have had great experiences with Tahura. Recommend them strongly. Their work is good and prices are still reasonable. Communication is good as well.

ShouriX

Reaction score
Santalum has not delivered boots to customers and have gone dark on IG.

Stridewise got ghosted on his order and has posted about it on his IG stories. Pigeontree crafting does collabs with Santalum and his latest boot is in jeopardy.

Don't buy from Santalum until the air has cleared but it doesn't look good for them.

View attachment 1990565
Oh my. That's a bummer. I was really looking forward to ordering a pair of sneakers from them. Thank you for the heads up. I'll try to confront them about this. I've been messaging them back on forth these couple days

Have had great experiences with Tahura. Recommend them strongly. Their work is good and prices are still reasonable. Communication is good as well.
Thank you. +1 point for tahura then. They are a bit more expensive compared to the other three, Like middle ground between santalum and benzein. I wonder if I should just save up, cry hard once, and just buy benzein. Are they really substantially better compared to tahura and the others?

basu13

Reaction score
Oh my. That's a bummer. I was really looking forward to ordering a pair of sneakers from them. Thank you for the heads up. I'll try to confront them about this. I've been messaging them back on forth these couple days

Thank you. +1 point for tahura then. They are a bit more expensive compared to the other three, Like middle ground between santalum and benzein. I wonder if I should just save up, cry hard once, and just buy benzein. Are they really substantially better compared to tahura and the others?
No experience with Benzein personally.

The Indonesian makers have all been steadily increasing prices since the boot community started celebrating them. They can no longer be called cheap at all, especially when using imported leathers. Quality wise though, they are mostly very good and my personal experience with both Junkard and Tahura are excellent.

Jello

Reaction score
Just got these Renav slippers that I had him do close specs to my viberg slippers. Seems pretty good.Got these in natural Maryam TPR horsebutt with a leather sole and dovetail heel

Attachments

• 66CDD8A5-9C03-4A62-86B2-284F9B5804E6.jpeg
    66CDD8A5-9C03-4A62-86B2-284F9B5804E6.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 9F010D5B-73D4-4D20-BC9A-2012191664A7.jpeg
    9F010D5B-73D4-4D20-BC9A-2012191664A7.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1635.jpeg
    IMG_1635.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1636.jpeg
    IMG_1636.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1637.jpeg
    IMG_1637.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 205

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Just got these Renav slippers that I had him do close specs to my viberg slippers. Seems pretty good.Got these in natural Maryam TPR horsebutt with a leather sole and dovetail heel

These are amazing saw Renav post these on his IG, did you have him base them on the 2010 last? I take the 2010 in Viberg size 8.5 and the 2030 in size 9.5 - what would be the equivalent Renav size?

Jello

Reaction score
These are amazing saw Renav post these on his IG, did you have him base them on the 2010 last? I take the 2010 in Viberg size 8.5 and the 2030 in size 9.5 - what would be the equivalent Renav size?
So I’m UK8 or US9 which I’m also a size 8 across the viberg lasts but the my viberg slippers are one size down from 2030 so it’s a size 7. The sizing he based mine was on my oxfords in crust Cloe shell that I got from him (which I was going to post another time) in a size 41 in his A1 last. So I’m guessing you’d be 42?

Jello

Reaction score
Oh wait you said 9.5 in the 2030 so then that would mean size 44?

lol_12345

Reaction score
they look great! mind sharing what you paid for these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads