Indochino suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crease, Jan 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Hi All -
    I just bought an Indochino Star-Dusted Striped Suit. I really like the fabric, and the jacket feels great, I'm happy with the fit of the jacket. But the pants are much too tight, especially in the thigh region. Although I can put them on (they're not as tight as some of the jeans I have), when I sit down, they pucker up everywhere, and you can see the outline of my (thigh length) underwear. I don't feel comfortable wearing them in public.
    So, I went in to the local "master tailor" today, a cute old man from Italy. He was offended that I had bought a suit from
    a) China
    b) The Internet
    and told me there was nothing he could do with the pants, but he'd like to sell me a suit of his own. =)

I'm thinking of going to a local Chinese dry-cleaning shop that does alterations and trying my luck there. But I'd love to hear your opinions first:
    1. Do you think there's hope that letting out the thigh area as much as the fabric allows will fix the pants? Or should I just ask for a remake directly?
    2. Any tips for finding a good tailor that doesn't hate Indochino?

Thanks.

As others have said, I think IC sets up their suits to allow for about 1" of larger adjustments. On my first IC suit i also noticed tightness in the crotch area. normally I'd be excited to show off the goods, but can't do so at the office. In my case about a half inch from the tailor set an acceptable comfort level, then I changed my measurements for the 2nd purchase.

I don't think i've ever been to a tailor who hasn't tried to push his own stuff. Just smile and say you'll consider them in the future. Sounds like you just need to find another tailor who wants to have business. I also would NOT suggest the dry cleaners for alterations beyond sewing buttons or some basic hemming.

2. CousinDonuts

I recently bought a classic navy blue suit from Indochino and would like critique and suggestions on possible alterations. I hope it's okay to post a link to my blog as I've already uploaded pictures and this is much easier than re-uploading each individual image onto the forum. If it isn't allowed or is frowned upon, just let me know and I'll remove it as soon as possible. Thanks and I look forward to your suggestions!

http://theericszeto.blogspot.com

Overall this looks good. Probably a touch short for at conservative office but not Thom Brown-esque. JB mentioned the pants length...the very minimal break is popular with some folks. If you want longer that is a simple adjustment at the tailor. The only flaw I noticed is that it looks like the left shoulder is a touch wide.

I like the choice of full brogue shoes.

3. Kovyor

Kovyor New Member

As others have said, I think IC sets up their suits to allow for about 1" of larger adjustments. On my first IC suit i also noticed tightness in the crotch area. normally I'd be excited to show off the goods, but can't do so at the office. In my case about a half inch from the tailor set an acceptable comfort level, then I changed my measurements for the 2nd purchase.

I don't think i've ever been to a tailor who hasn't tried to push his own stuff. Just smile and say you'll consider them in the future. Sounds like you just need to find another tailor who wants to have business. I also would NOT suggest the dry cleaners for alterations beyond sewing buttons or some basic hemming.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, everyone. I ended up finding a proper tailor (not a dry cleaner =) who was happy for my business and is altering the pants. I'll try them on in a few days, but I'm hopeful that things will work out!

Thanks again.

4. eszeto

eszeto New Member

i think you have a great fit there.
    wasn't sure at first, but that final picture with the button done up convinced me.

is that your first from indochino?

Yeah it's my first suit from them. I was really worried after reading so many mixed reviews about their suits.

It looks like a good fit to my eyes, but some would say the jacket is too short, wouldn't they?

If it means anything, it's long enough to cover my ass. Is that long enough though?

Quite impressed. If this was 1st try then they've done you well. Most take a few back and forths before getting this decent. I would rank it as one of the top 5 I've seen from IC.

In terms of critique, there is a little something funky with your left shoulder. The jacket is too short, especially for your long arms, or perhaps you are slouching, I can't tell. If you are going for something even more fitted, you could stand to tighten up adjustments (bicep/elbow/wrist) to get it more fitted. I'd also probably bring your shoulders in a bit more. Not sure how to relief some of the bunching on the back. The pants look good, but do they feel good? As personal preference, I'd have mine just a tad bit longer to cover the tops of my shoe laces a bit more.

Thanks for the critique! The jacket actually feels really good in the shoulders, but indeed, they could be more fitted in the arms. I'm kind of glad there's a bit of room so I can work on my arms at the gym and not worry about the suit becoming ill-fitting. Pants feel great, but I might take up your suggestion to lengthen the pants.

Overall this looks good. Probably a touch short for at conservative office but not Thom Brown-esque. JB mentioned the pants length...the very minimal break is popular with some folks. If you want longer that is a simple adjustment at the tailor. The only flaw I noticed is that it looks like the left shoulder is a touch wide.

I like the choice of full brogue shoes.

Thanks for the comment! Like I said with JB, I'm going to be hitting the gym this semester anyway so the slightly loose jacket will come full-round (hopefully). I don't think I'm going to be shorter anytime soon so I'll take the pants to the tailor to get lengthened.

5. darez

darez Member

For those who applied for the $75 alteration credits, how long did it take for Indochino to refund you? Just wondering if it's normal not to hear from them for a week.

6. Approveusername

Approveusername Member

For those who applied for the $75 alteration credits, how long did it take for Indochino to refund you? Just wondering if it's normal not to hear from them for a week.

+1

My shipment is in the air now, arriving shortly, I will most certainly use the 75 for smaller(hopefully) alterations. So im interested to hear what people say.

7. Tifochka

Tifochka Member

Yeah, its quite normal, just now it took them almost 3 weeks to refund me ( i don't care, as long as its done), so dont worry -- they'll do it.

8. CousinDonuts

My credit requests took about 7-10 business days if I remember correctly.

9. Approveusername

Approveusername Member

thanks, yeah the time aspect isn't important, just as long as they honor the credit back. Ideally I won't need it at all of course. Will post pictures of the solar flair suit when it arrives(within 5 days)

Have people experienced serious issues with it being wrinkled, which I assume will be an issue?

What is the easisest solution for wrinkled suits, I don't really like dry cleaning them as I've heard steaming them is better. To be honest I don't know what is the best option here.

/David.

10. Kovyor

Kovyor New Member

Have people experienced serious issues with it being wrinkled, which I assume will be an issue?

What is the easisest solution for wrinkled suits, I don't really like dry cleaning them as I've heard steaming them is better. To be honest I don't know what is the best option here.

/David.

Mine came only slightly wrinkled, it had been folded nicely in a box. I hung it up for a few days and the wrinkles fell out.

11. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

My tailor refund came within 24 hours, but perhaps I was just lucky then. About the wrinkles, I usually wait till my gf takes a long hot shower and hang the suit in the bathroom then - the steam really helps against the wrinkles!

That Navy suit posted/linked a page back looks really good, but I agree the jacket and the pants are a bit too short!

I'd love to see photos of the new suits btw, curious about how the fabrics look!

12. ZenStyle

ZenStyle Well-Known Member

Here's my thread showing my first Indochino suit. It's the Alchemist Brown Pinstripe from the new collection (sold out now). I love the look and feel of the fabric so I was happy that I could alter it instead of having it remade since they probably can't remake it due to it being sold out (unless they keep some stock of the fabric for possible remakes but I doubt that).

The pics are right out of the box and before tailoring. It's currently at the tailor getting tweaked under the $75 alteration refund allowance.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=217012

The general feedback on that thread was positive about the fit/suit. Note I did not indicate who the maker was initially.

13. Tifochka

Tifochka Member

Here are some pics of Indochino suits/shirts. Sorry for the poor quality, just picked some of my old photos.
    Here are the Classic navy, Persuasive purple, White knight, Deep space blue pinstripe (from the new collection), not in particular order.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dacheng

dacheng New Member

Hi. My first post, and first Indochino suit. My feeling is that it was fairly well done, and I can't spot any big glaring problems (but I'm a noob, so what do I know...).

I tried my best to take the pictures. It wasn't easy as I can't find anywhere in the house that gives me enough room, and the lighting/flash isn't great. Hope this is good enough.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Approveusername

Approveusername Member

I have recieved my solar flair suit + 2 shirts.

Suit: the seem?(where the shoulder and sleeve meet) is bulky and not good at all. no smooth transition, the shoulders don't fit perfectly, but almost.

The pants are way too wide beneath the knee.

Alterations will cost 90 euro(120 dollars?) Will do it with my tailor, he thought the fit of the suit in all the other areas was very well executed.

Shirts fit perfectly. Got an extra pocket square for some reason. It is hideous.(black dots and what not) I like the fabric and they seem well made, I have a wide neck and love the fit for once(wide neck slim body = bad for OTR shirts)

End of report, might take pics before I take it in to my tailor tomorrow.

I at first sent for the alteration: As i thought I would ship it back with the pins that my tailor put there, and realized after the fact that one doesnt send the suit back before one gets the other one from them. So i sent them an email explaining Im just going to get it done here in Sweden. I hope they realize this and dont make me another suit which i dont need. I sent them an email immediately explaining this, but one never knows how well different parts of the company communicate.