Indochino suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crease, Jan 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Thanks for your observation. I simply feel that budget-concious men, like me, can do so much better than what these low-budget MTMs are offering. They're offers are an illusion, especially when they say: "Compare at $1695". There is no comparison. They are targeting the market segment least likely to know how to value shop. Now, if I could get the real $1695 suit for $500, I'd have a real buy. That's the sad part.

Enough with the blatantly obvious already, n00b! People know what they're getting when they deal with this sort of place. They don't need you telling them, ad nauseum, what they already know!

2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Kermit - a few posts back you mentioned that a lot of style is feeling confident, regardless of the price of what's on your back. But earlier you said you're rather have a discounted RTW that wasn't made for you because of your notions about the quality. The person that buys indochino is probably one of two people (or a combo)....1) budget conscious or just starting out, 2) finds RTW ill-fitting. To one of your points, why should I pay $500 for what used to be a $2,000 suit, just because I think that the label means better quality? Some Zegna stuff is made in Italy, some in Mexico. Same label, nearly identical price, but completely different manufacturing quality. What if you're getting the Mexico version on Yoox and not the Italian? Instead, I can give a place like IC (or mytailor, who whomever) a shot, get something that fits correctly (hopefully) and then wear the clothes better because I know that it fits properly. i'd much rather have a $350 suit that hits my proporitions than a $1,500 suit that has to be so adjusted that it loses it's original drape.

A lot of this also depends on where you live. If you're in a big city it's easy to say IC is a waste because for $200 more you can find a local tailor who will make the same suit with face-to-face interaction. Great if you can get it. But for folks like me who live in smaller cities (I'm in Lousville, KY) my options are limited. So i have to either take a chance online, drive/fly to a bigger city, or just buy the crap that trickles down to the local Macy's.

At the end of the day it's all relative to what you can spend and how you want to look and where you will wear the clothes. If you're on this board then you at least care how your dress which puts you ahead of about 70% of the guys out there (and my whole office), and I think one common thread is that if it fits it will look better.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Again, we know ALL this, n00b! Enough already!!

4. raphael__n

raphael__n Well-Known Member

In a broad generalization, it can be agreed that online MTM's are selling snake oil. But I think Indochino has taken a very different stance. I have not seen them advertise their suits as worthy of $2000 suits. I've seen interviews where Kyle suggested that fit is important and makes a suit look much better than an expensive ill-fitting suit. Otherwise, I have not seen Indochino advertisements suggesting they make suits worth $2000 or anywhere near that price range. If you happened to come across one, feel free to correct me, as I am unaware of this.

At the end of the day, yes I do still feel special, because I am being given as many chances as I like until I get the suit perfect. With that in mind, I have no reason to get a refund unless the fabric or construction quality is despicable. In their case, I find it just fine. I won't say it's stellar, but for the price, yes, it's very worthwhile for me. While Indochino's pricing may not always seem to justify their suits, I think most of the SF buyers, and any other informed customer employs the variety of discount codes that are available. This helps bring down the price a good notch, and is a great bargain in my books.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1 raphael.

Your ignorance just proves my point, kermit.

6. raphael__n

raphael__n Well-Known Member

Kermit, I don't mean to sound like I'm personally attacking you. You are entitled to your opinion, and have likely come to it from your own experience. But it's not generally a good idea to go to a thread regarding Indochino suits where you slander their quality and make, essentially suggesting that Indochino buyers are getting duped because they don't know any better. It's bound to upset a few people. I've looked at my options (online stores, eBay, online MTM, department stores and local MTM pricing) and I know that I've made the best choice in regard to quality vs pricing.

I'm not sure why you're officially declaring this thread dead. You recently joined this board and do not have admin status. The rest of us have had plenty of helpful discussion and criticisms here, and I gained a lot of insight by reading this thread and ultimately decided to join the forum. If you're unhappy with this thread, there is no need for you to participate in it. I would rather have this thread continue.

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I just saw this in another thread where folks were talking about their biggest fashion purchase mistakes:

$2,000+ semi-bespoke suit. Worked with the tailor for nearly a year to fix all the problems. He even completely remade the jacket at one point. In the end it was completely unwearable. I even took it to a very high-end tailor to see if it was salvageable. It wasn't. For various reasons I wound up paying for the stupid thing. However I once was a pretty regular customer and I've never (and will never) returned. Lesson learned about trying to do bespoke 'on the cheap'. A very expensive lesson.

Goes to show, even expensive can turn into tragedy. There are good experiences and bad experiences. Those who have bad tend to bitch and moan the most. You have to take internet message boards with a grain of salt. Remember, you don't know me. I could be a 14yrs old in Ecuador, or I could be a future Duke in England.

8. sartbaeklv

sartbaeklv Senior member

Although this is completely off topic, I was just on the Modern Tailor thread and there was another user like "kermit" that attempted to declare the topic "dead". o_o strange coincidence?

9. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

I'm really interested to see how these new fabrics are - let us know!

Ordering a tailors kit now with the new fabrics, this was exactly what I wanted in quality(looks like) only wouldve wanted more colorful/daring styles, i.e patterns with bold colors, that might be a spring collection though(more appropriate)

10. ZenStyle

ZenStyle Well-Known Member

I really like the look of the Alchemist brown suit.

I also like the Essenial Charcoal but I'm wary of if it will actually arrive 100% wool after reading about it perhaps being misrepresented and actually a blend.

Any thoughts of a slim fit suit, but going with the straight leg option for the pants? I'm 186cm tall (6'1.5" about 186 lbs) and fit, slim and I worry that the narrow tapered lower leg/ankle would make my legs look like toothpicks and not balanced overall.

The closest OTR would be a 40T but even that doesn't seem to fit quite right. I am swimming in a 42 but the lapels of a 40T start to pull away from the chest with a deep breath. I don't want to spend a lot of cash but it would be nice to have something that is fitted. Same with shirts.

11. quidquididest

quidquididest Member

I just had a careful look at the new suits, and noticed a small positive detail: It seems that they've replaced the keyhole-shaped boutonnière hole with a straight-ended button hole.

I had never noticed that particular Indochino fashion faux pas before until someone here on the forum pointed it out (and right they are --- the boutonnière is not intended for a button, hence no keyhole shape is necessary)... and ever since then, it slightly annoyed me on my Indochino suit.

Good to see they've corrected that, and it is to be hoped that they didn't only do that for the demo suits for the shooting.

12. Wayward

Wayward Senior member

I just had a careful look at the new suits, and noticed a small positive detail: It seems that they've replaced the keyhole-shaped boutonnière hole with a straight-ended button hole.

I had never noticed that particular Indochino fashion faux pas before until someone here on the forum pointed it out (and right they are --- the boutonnière is not intended for a button, hence no keyhole shape is necessary)... and ever since then, it slightly annoyed me on my Indochino suit.

Good to see they've corrected that, and it is to be hoped that they didn't only do that for the demo suits for the shooting.

I don't know if that's entirely accurate, and I think someone had posted their correspondence with Indochino on this. Basically, a false boutonniere would be "normal" while a functional boutonniere would be a keyhole, as it is done by machine in the same manner as jacket button holes.

Therefore, don't hold your breath, and better confirm with them first.

13. MrInvariant

MrInvariant Senior member

I don't know if that's entirely accurate, and I think someone had posted their correspondence with Indochino on this. Basically, a false boutonniere would be "normal" while a functional boutonniere would be a keyhole, as it is done by machine in the same manner as jacket button holes.

Therefore, don't hold your breath, and better confirm with them first.

+1

14. TorontoEX

TorontoEX Active Member

To start of, I don't own an Indochino suit but came across two recently. One from my cousin and the other through a co-worker.

I am really surprised to see that the workmanship is not bad for the price. There's definitely some obvious handwork and its canvassed and not glued together like other ready made suits in this price range.

The negative side however, is the very thing that Indochino is trying to market their superiority, which is the FIT. The first time my co-worker wore the suit to work, it became an instant watercooler topic for the day. He is a large fella who weight probably at least 250 lbs. But with the suit on, he looks like he is wearing a suit that is 2 or 3 size larger than him. I don't think I have ever seen a jacket that big!!
    My cousin is more on the slender side. I have not seen how he looked the first time he got the suit. I've only seen it after it was extensively altered. But it still looks big on him. The shoulders seem ok but the back has alot of fabric (mind you, the tailor had already taken it in)

To be fair, I can't say these two incidents are the norm... it could very well be rare exceptions. But their reliance on the customer to find a friend or worst, try to measure themselves and be expected to get a well fitter custom suit seems quite unrealistic. I know they have instructional video and everything on their website but as most people who are into custom tailoring know... the measurement and fitting is usually done by the master tailor or cutter themselves. Even if you go to get a MTM suit at Harry Rosen, they'd have to get a tailor to measure you and NOT the sales guy and definitely no "Self Serve" option....

15. MrInvariant

MrInvariant Senior member

I am really surprised to see that the workmanship is not bad for the price. There's definitely some obvious handwork and its canvassed and not glued together like other ready made suits in this price range.

Where did you find obvious handwork?

And BTW their jackets are fused (glued together).