Indochino suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crease, Jan 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. style_man

style_man Well-Known Member

pity indeed about the cheap lining. I don't know fabric prices, but I'd sure be willing to pay an extra for silk lining...

I, too, would pay a little more for silk, but keep in mind that Indochino's goal is to provide affordable suits. At $500, they've just about reached their limit. Silk cannot be cheap. How much more do you reckon it would cost to upgrade to silk?

2. MrInvariant

MrInvariant Senior member

You're not the only one wondering about that, i will contact Angie and let you know back.

Thanks! [​IMG] I'm looking forward to hearing the updates.

3. doc.t

doc.t New Member

I, too, would pay a little more for silk, but keep in mind that Indochino's goal is to provide affordable suits. At $500, they've just about reached their limit. Silk cannot be cheap. How much more do you reckon it would cost to upgrade to silk?

Indeed, silk would conflict with Indochino's strategy to provide affordable suits, as long as we're talking about linings made out of high quality silk.
    But, taken the price-range of suits from Indochino, it should be possible to provide linings made of 100% viscose rayon, which is far more better than the 50% polyester linings.

4. Crash Override

Crash Override Active Member

So, I got my "shipped" email late last night (technically 3:43 this morning). Fedex tracking says the packages will arrive tomorrow by 10:30 AM. That's pretty fast from China to Texas!
    Of course I'll be at work, so the wife will have to sign for them. Once i get home, we have plans to go out for my aunt's birthday, so it'll be a bit before I get to try everything on (and I'll be stuffed full of Mexican food and Margaritas).
    Funny, I'm nervously anticipating the arrival, even though I know I've got a satisfaction guarantee.

5. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

So, I got my "shipped" email late last night (technically 3:43 this morning). Fedex tracking says the packages will arrive tomorrow by 10:30 AM. That's pretty fast from China to Texas!
    Of course I'll be at work, so the wife will have to sign for them. Once i get home, we have plans to go out for my aunt's birthday, so it'll be a bit before I get to try everything on (and I'll be stuffed full of Mexican food and Margaritas).
    Funny, I'm nervously anticipating the arrival, even though I know I've got a satisfaction guarantee.

Uh...thanks for the update.[​IMG]

6. landshark

landshark Senior member

Has anybody tried to ship their best fitting jacket and trousers to them to try and get a good fit that way? It seems a lot easier than punching in measurements that will be interpreted several different times.

7. raphael__n

raphael__n Well-Known Member

So, I got my "shipped" email late last night (technically 3:43 this morning). Fedex tracking says the packages will arrive tomorrow by 10:30 AM. That's pretty fast from China to Texas! Of course I'll be at work, so the wife will have to sign for them. Once i get home, we have plans to go out for my aunt's birthday, so it'll be a bit before I get to try everything on (and I'll be stuffed full of Mexican food and Margaritas). Funny, I'm nervously anticipating the arrival, even though I know I've got a satisfaction guarantee.
    Mine as well! Should be coming in by noon tomorrow. Will post pictures if I can find some other means besides my phone's camera. *fingers crossed* EDIT: Oddly enough the dates have appeared to changed, and FedEx suggests that it will arrive on the 8th instead, showing that it shipped on the 7th... even though it is clearly the 6th and it shipped last night around 1:00am.

8. Crash Override

Mine as well! Should be coming in by noon tomorrow. Will post pictures if I can find some other means besides my phone's camera. *fingers crossed*

EDIT: Oddly enough the dates have appeared to changed, and FedEx suggests that it will arrive on the 8th instead, showing that it shipped on the 7th... even though it is clearly the 6th and it shipped last night around 1:00am.

Hmmm.... mine was delivered. Wife called to say she signed for two big boxes. Still pretty impressed how fast they get from China to my location.

9. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

I have one quick general question - would it be ok for you guys, if I post your photos from style forum over on my blog? I got some emails saying they'd like more photos of "real guys in real indochino suits". I'd of course quote you with both a link to your post and your username. Anyone who is not ok with me reposting the photos can let me know and they will be taken down immediately. Is that an acceptable way to do it?

Back on topic: really looking forward to reading more reviews here & I'm still waiting for an answer on how the overall style of the suit as shown on Indochino.com affects the measurements taken for previous suits.

10. raphael__n

If I can get some decent pictures taken this time, no problem!

11. Crash Override

LorenzL, I'll post some pics over the weekend, and you are more than welcome to use them. I got my order today, and I'm quite impressed with the fit. My jacket sleeves don't quite show 1/2 an inch of shirt cuff, but for someone who is used to buying jackets off the rack with sleeves way too long, they are great! I requested monogramming on the jackets and the cuffs of the two shirts I ordered, but nothing was monogrammed. I also requested the new "Higher armhole" feature and don't think I got that either. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with the fit, construction, and quality of the two suits, two shirts, and tie I received. (Metallic Grey, Black Day at the Office, Onyx Black shirt, White Utility Shirt, Purple Tie). I expected to need some alterations, but don't think I do. The monogramming is no big deal to me, but the higher armholes would have been nice. I'm also quite impressed with the fabric of the Metallic Grey. EDIT Got a response from Angie. she verified I had requested the monogramming and apologized that it was left off. (Again, not a big deal. The only reason I added it was because it was free. It does go toward attention to detail on their part, though). She also verified that my jackets were constructed with the higher armholes (Glad I was able to make that request, because if they were any lower, I'd be really hard-pressed to lift my arms). She did offer me the option of requesting a remake and asking for even higher armholes if I wanted, and they would monogram the jackets this time. Alternately, I could just keep the jackets and order a free shirt of my choice. I was in a rush last night and didn't get much time to just "be" in the jackets. I'll try them on again tonight and make a decision from there. Again, I don't really care about the monogramming, and I'm not going to be shooting hoops in my suit jacket, but a little more freedom in the arms would be nice. (Of course, they could just feel a tad constricting from years of wearing jackets that were too big in the first place).

12. raphael__n

So my suit came in, and I've messed with it a little bit. I won't be giving it a proper review yet, since the fabric is still creased from being in the box so I don't imagine it's draping as well as it will after hanging for a few hours.

For starters, the fit of the pants is great. They came up a bit short in length, but it's a quick fix. Likewise, the vest fits great, although one of the buttons looks badly scratched. The jacket is the one part I'm having a hard time appreciating. Something about it just doesn't look right. However, I'm going to reserve my judgement on its fit until the creases have had time to settle. I also haven't detached the threads holding in the vents yet, so that's probably a factor as well. The jetted pockets are also off. The left one has a wider opening than the right and looks a bit strange, so I'm going to opt for flaps next time.

The one thing that's really ruining the jacket for me is the pick stitching. It just stares right at you. I haven't seen such visible pick-stitching in my life. It's not what I expected.

The fit is good for the most part, and I'm sure the alteration credits would fix up anything that's off. In that regard, Indochino did a great job. However, I'm already convinced that I'm going to have a remake on the jacket. I can't stand the pick-stitching. Even my H&M jacket has it, but it's very subtle. I'm thinking of visiting a tailor first to gather his opinions on the fit, so that he can tell me where what needs adjustment before applying for a remake. I think I will also have to opt for higher armholes. The entire jacket snags whenever I raise my arms horizontally to my side or in front of me (e.g. to pick up something). I know many people usually have this problem with their suit jackets, so Indochino is in no part to blame for this.

Question is... will having a check-up done to make sure everything fits perfectly cost me, or is that covered by Indochino's alteration credit?

13. Crash Override

OK, here they are, right out of the box. Nothing been pressed, vents haven't been opened, etc.
    Ignore the shoes.
    First, the Metallic Grey With Onyx shirt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, The Black Day at the Office with Ultimate Utility Shirt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how much I like the jetted pockets on the Black, looks a little too tuxedo-like.
    Not bad though. I really like the Metallic Grey, the more I look at/wear it. Need some different tie options.
    On second wearing, the armholes don't seem as constricting as before.

14. raphael__n

Really like the hacking pockets there. And I agree on the jetted pocket. It does look formal, especially on a black suit. Then again, I imagine you will be using the black for formal occasions?

Between the two, I really like the black day at the office. The metallic has too much sheen for my preference. The fit is quite nice on the black suit. I wish I had your luck right out of the box. I suppose I'm to blame for inadequate measurements. Although the shoulder came out 1/2" longer than I specified. So it's sloping down a bit.

15. HPress

HPress Senior member

@Crash Override:

Hate to be negative, but it seems like something weird is going on with the sleeves of the gray suit. I could be wrong, but I think they should drage smoothly and not bunch up like an accordion. Also, I think the jacket might be a bit short. My rule of thumb is that the bottom of the jacket should be no higher than the crotchal seam when you look at it from the front or back.