1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Indochino suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crease, Jan 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I hope this is not discouraging to any of you, but when I climb a mountain, I throw down a rope for those behind me.

I have nothing of value to add to this discussion but I just wanted to recognize that this is a fucking awesome quote.

2. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

seems it is a bit hit and miss with their fabric? jeffreyd (a bespoke tailor himself) was positively surprised about indochino's fabric quality (I don't know what specific suit version it was though) and my navy blue suit fabric seems good too. I do find it somewhat disconcerting that they'd clearly advertise a fabric as 100% wool and in fact it contains polyester. When you write them about reordering, would you consider asking them to clear that up?

3. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

Here is my exact e-mail, minus my order #.

I need to send back my entire order. The suit and shirt could not be altered under the $75 limit. I would like to reorder another suit in a different style and fabric. I trust your information on the website and Tailor's Kit that the Essential Charcoal suit is 100% wool, but it feels and weighs alot like a poly blend. I would like to have a new discount code that allows me to recieve the same promotion I orginally had. That was 20% off, a free shirt and the $29 credit from the Tailor's Kit. Please add the credit to my account and provided me with the code and I will reorder another suit and shirt. I will follow the instructions sent with the Essential Charcoal suit to return it for a full refund. Thanks in advance for you assistance.

4. mjc

mjc Senior member

First, the material is not 100% wool as stated on the website and in the Tailor's Kit I bought. It is a poly blend, thus the reason it was so heavy when I took it out of the box.
    Ugh. That's bad news. Unforgivable, really, in my book. - Mike

5. shiftless_bum

shiftless_bum Senior member

<<SNIP>> First, the material is not 100% wool as stated on the website and in the Tailor's Kit I bought. It is a poly blend, thus the reason it was so heavy when I took it out of the box. He even showed me a cloth book of poly blend suiting, he had one that looked and felt exactly like the Essential Charcoal suit I bought. .

That's interesting. I've got an Essential Charcoal I bought a couple of years ago. I'll see if there is a spot of fabric somewhere I can snip out and burn test.

6. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

That's interesting. I've got an Essential Charcoal I bought a couple of years ago. I'll see if there is a spot of fabric somewhere I can snip out and burn test.

[​IMG]

7. Amice

Amice Member

I've been reading this thread for a while, and I'm trying to sum things up for myself.

What can be said about the suits so far?
    - They are cheap, which is good
    - They are made to measure, which is nice
    - The sizes do not always come out correctly, which is parly due to error by the customer, and partly due to error of the tailor
    - Some issues to be resolved by local tailors, 75 USD credit is available to do so
    - If the problems are more serious, you are out of luck, but you can have the suit remade and hope for the best.
    - The fabrics range from pretty decent for Chinese fabrics (source: the one model JeffryD was able to check out) to polyesther-crap and prob. everything in between. Various people seem to report the fabrics seem thin and feel like stuff sold at H&amp;M.
    - Not much fabric options are available.
    - I have seen a few suits which provide a decent fit (in my own opinion), and a lot which I do not like (also my own opinion).
    - On virtually all the suits I consider the shoulders to be plain... horrible... In the best case I rate them &quot;ugly but not that noticeable&quot;. This is again my opinion, but many other people also report issues with the shoulders.
    - The construction is strange to say the least. JeffryD reports the model he reviewed was fully fused but also contained a seperate canvas-lining. In his (truly) expert opinion, he was not able to understand why.

My own personal conclusions:
    I find a suits shoulders one of the most important parts of a suit, along with the overall fit. I would not wear a suit with such dodgy shoulders myself. I would not be able to look happy in one, but some people don't seem to mind. Dennis Cahlo for one, seems to be happy wearing his suit, even though I consider all of them to have dodgy shoulders.
    Also, because the construction and fabrics might have some inconsistency issues, as well as the measurements itself, I would personally not order from Indochino myself.

If I want a cheap solution, I'd rather go for a decent off-the-rack number and have it tailored locally (if possible), rather than take the risk of shelling out and being stuck with something I'd rather not wear because of dogdy shoulders, bad construction, bad fabrics or other issues that cannot be resolved at a later time... With a decent off-the-rack number, and with some knowledge of what a tailor can and cannot do, at least you know what you see is what you get.

Personally I'd rather go for a local Made-to-Measure solution, even though it will cost more. Where I come from (the Netherlands) you can buy a truly full-canvas (tested it myself) MTM number at Suit Supply starting in basic fabrics from 350 euro. And this way, I am getting my measurements taken in-house, and if I don't like it I can have everything resolved locally.
    The stuff is still made it Asia, of course (although they do provide the option to have everything made in Italy, starting at 799 euro I believe), but in more of an industrial setting and with quite a large company running the show, rather than a small Internet firm using family tailors and having to take measurements and returning the stuff internationally.

In the end, yes 350 euro (or more, if you want more than just the basic fabrics) is more expensive than the stuff Indochino is selling, but in this case I have a feeling you truly do get what you pay for.

8. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

Well, this news is really causing me to reconsider dealing with indochino. I have a convention to attend at the end of July and I was hoping to at least get 1 or maybe 2 decent suits for the money. I am willing to pay a little more for a better quality MTM suit.

Anyone have any recommendations?

9. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

Well, this news is really causing me to reconsider dealing with indochino. I have a convention to attend at the end of July and I was hoping to at least get 1 or maybe 2 decent suits for the money. I am willing to pay a little more for a better quality MTM suit. Anyone have any recommendations?
    Well, my suit for one is really ok. But in any case, you can always ask for a full refund if you are not happy, so there is really no risk involved [​IMG] You should get it well before the end of July, if you are not happy with the Indochino suit you can always go for an OTR option, I guess.

10. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Well, my suit for one is really ok. But in any case, you can always ask for a full refund if you are not happy, so there is really no risk involved [​IMG][...]

Other than the shipping cost for the return and lost time, I agree.

That return policy of theirs is crucial. I would have never bought the suit (and returned it) if it weren't for the refund option.

11. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

yeah, quite right. you certainly can't expect the suit to fit right away when you order for the first time. about those shoulders, it's true that they are not perfect, but I honestly think it's not too bad either and certainly not something that anyone (except an expert) would notice. I wore my suit at work yesterday and got only positive comments (and not because my other suits are ugly and don't fit). That said, my suit does fit (in my opinion) much better than many I have seen posted here.

12. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

I see your point. I might try to order one in May and if it turns out ok, order a second in June. that should be enough time.

13. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

I feel this needs to be posted in order for all of you considering a purchase from Indochino. You can see that I have made every effort to "upgrade" my original purchase. I changed my name to customer for privacy reasons. I am going to be sending the entire order back today. I am going to purchase an accessory with the credit from the Tailor's Kit. I will make no future purchases from Indochino. They will see that my pocketbook is mightier than my pen.

Angie,

I need to send back the entire order #16857. The suit and shirt could not be altered under the $75 limit. I would like to reorder another suit in a different style and fabric. I trust your information on the website and Tailor's Kit that the Essential Charcoal suit is 100% wool, but it feels and weighs alot like a poly blend. I would like to have a new discount code that allows me to recieve the same promotion I orginally had. That was 20% off, a free shirt and the $29 credit from the Tailor's Kit. Please add the credit to my account and provided me with the code and I will reorder another suit and shirt. I will follow the instructions sent with the Essential Charcoal suit to return it for a full refund. Thanks in advance for you assistance

Regards,

Customer

Dear Customer,

Nice to hear from you.

Please return all items to us to:
    *Please use regular domestic post and mark the return as NRV(No Retail Value).

Indochino.com
    Suite 411, 1581-H Hillside Avenue
    Victoria BC V8T 2C1
    Canada

For more information on our return policy please see: http://www.indochino.com/help/returns.html

Unfortunately, we cannot give you a new coupon code as the coupon code you have used has expired. However, on your next order please email us the order # and we will refund you $29 on your next order.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Thanks,

--
    Angie
    Customer Concierge
    Indochino.com
    Free Shipping & Perfect Fit Guarantee

Angie,

I understand the coupon code has expired, but I feel an exception needs to be made. I am not satisfied with the suit and I am actually asking to spend more money with your company by purchasing a higher priced suit. I do not think I am asking for anything extraordinary here. I would ask that you make a business decision and create a one time code that will allow me to have 20% off the order, a free shirt and the $29 credit for the Tailor's Kit.

Regards,

Customer

Dear Customer,

Nice to hear from you.

I am sorry, you can currently use any current promotional codes that are available and not expired, but we will not issue a new coupon code. I am also very sorry that we could not meet your expectations in quality.

Thanks,

--
    Angie
    Customer Concierge
    Indochino.com

Angie,

What our you current promotional codes?

Regards,

Customer

Dear Customer,

Nice to hear from you.

Our company was built on providing real value to customers in terms of affordability, great service, custom-made experience and style education. Thus, we try not to focus on promotions unless for special holidays like Christmas. However, 3rd party websites may have promotions currently happening and can be found on their websites.

Thanks,

--
    Angie
    Customer Concierge
    Indochino.com

Angie,

Let me get this straight, you gave me the first promotional code "free20' in an e-mail dated April 6 to get my business. Now you are telling me that you can not give me a promotional code and that I need to search for one on the internet? This does not seem right to me. Please take a minute and make sure this is the way you want to handle this situation. I am looking to your company to create a long lasting realtionship to fill my business clothing needs. You have a number of competitors for me to choose from and if this is not handled to my satisfaction, I will use those competitiors for my future business.

Regards,

Customer

Dear Customer,

Nice to hear from you.

I am very sorry, however the free20 coupon has expired and cannot be honored with future purchases. I am very sorry that we cannot meet your needs, however, we will happily remake your order or you can return the items for a full refund.

Thanks,

--
    Angie
    Customer Concierge
    Indochino.com

Angie,

Again, the reason I am returning the suit is because it is not wool. It is a poly blend and was not represented that way on your website and the Tailor's Kit. I do want another suit, but not on that is made with polyester.

Regards,

Customer

14. Amice

Amice Member

Personally the time, frustation and money required for sending back and forth suits is a major turndown for me.
    Even when buying locally it is frustrating to have to go back , talk things through, and wait until things are fixed.
    And some things just cannot be fixed, like bad fabric, fused construction, crooked shoulders.. And sure maybe you can get your money back in the end, but the time invested is gone forever and the frustrations are likely to remain for a while.

One thing is sure, Indochino is not something I personally would spend me money on after seeing all these pictures and reading about the construction.

Especially in the case of Beowolf, if you just need to be sure you are well prepared for your convention, personally I would just buy local. Just go get a nice off-the-rack number and have it tailored locally. Or if you are really odd shaped, go for a good MTM and just invest the money. It will be worth the investment (something that does not apply to a fused online MTM suit).

On the other hand if you have enough time and patience to wait for replacements, and you don't mind to be left without a decent suit in the end because you had to return the whole darned thing: just go for it!

As for Lorenz's suit: Not to offend you, it does not look that great to me. It does not look like the well constructed made-to-measure suit (and we are not even talking about bespoke here): there are many small issues all around, pretty much the same stuff as having a fused off-the-rack adjusted: you will get a pretty decent overall shape but nothing spectacular and anything far from perfect.
    And even the cheapest warehouse suit will provide you better shoulders than your Indochino suit: just look at the wrinkles in your shoulderline, especially on your right shoulder. But hey, I've indeed seen much Indochino shoulders... But that is what maybe concearns me most: if I was to order a suit: am I the one who gets the horrible shoulder that makes me look like I have a medical condition, or do I just get the one that has some nasty wrinkles and twists.

But heck, anyone can decide for himself. But for me, after reading all the stuff on this and other forums, and seeing the photos, I have concluded Indochino is not for me. It might be cheap, but if I don't like it and never wear it, it will still be a waste of money.

15. Amice

Amice Member

Coltboy, sounds like pretty automated responses to me.
    Just return it, and learn from the experience. And let's hope Indochino learns from experiences like this aswell. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years they switch to industrial grade production using CAD and automated cutting techniques to provide consistent quality... And start making sure they will never ever sell a polyesther suit again, no matter at what price.

I guess full-recharge does not include the return costs?

16. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

Thanks guys,

This is not looking very good for indochino. I think I will just try local. Or order another suit from Wizard of Aahs. It's off the rack, but I have bought a suit from him previously and I really like it for the price.

I guess they are too good to be true. [​IMG]

17. Amice

Amice Member

Yeah most of the time you get what you pay for... If it sounds to good to be true.......

As for the Wizard of Aah's, I have no personal experience buying from him, but I've heard a lot of good things about the full-canvas Baroni's... (good price/quality rating)
    They are likely to be a much better investment, as these Indochino suits are likely to be fused and bubbles are still a risk (at least, that is what I conclude from JeffryD's information, and as it sounds like he reviewed one of the better suits I guess it will apply to the other Indochino stuff as well).

18. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

No offense taken, Amice. I never expected my Indochino suit to rival a 2000$+ bespoke suit and I guess that is why I am not disappointed with what I got. From the fit and feel it does compare very positively to some OTR suits I have and I only paid 200€ for the Indochino suit incl. shirt and tie. If it stays fine for a 2-3 years that's ok with me.

The thing is, I had some money to toy around with and I didn't depend on the outcome...if you have to go get a suit for your first job and a very important job interview I'd probably go OTR and have a tailor alter it too.

Also, experiences differ so much.... If you are not very tight on money and time, I still think it's worth a try.

19. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Coltboy,

I think it's a bit much to expect them to recreate an expired coupon code just for you.
    If you ask them to remake the suit in a different fabric (at the same cost), they might be able to accomodate you.
    Why you would want to deal with a company that you suspect of misrepresenting their fabrics, is a mystery to me...

20. sharkw

sharkw Member

Just thought I'd add my two cents. I received my suit from Indochino almost two weeks ago (a bit over three weeks from the day I ordered it). Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. Right now I'm getting extra tailoring done on it, which will cost me a little extra because it's more than the $75 tailoring credit. I'll try to post photos in a couple of weeks when the work's been done.

My advice to people considering buying from Indochino: have realistic expectations about what you're getting. If you want an absolutely perfect fitting, fully canvassed, top-quality fabric suit on short notice with no hassle, well you're simply not going to get that at Indochino's price point. However, if you're like me, and have never been able to get a suit that's even close a reasonable fit OTR (the best fitting brands for me in my city are a 34 from Mexx or a 36/46EUR from Zara), then Indochino is a very reasonable proposition.

For the price point, I'm willing to get a suit that may not be "perfect", but is way better fitting than any other suit I've ever tried on. Even though the $75 credit will not cover all my extra costs, it will still be a deal. I'm also hopeful that small tweaks should allow me to get as perfect a suit as possible for my particular body (which is far from ideal!), maybe not on my second order but perhaps my third. Again, if you're not willing to deal with this then you shouldn't buy from Indochino.