1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Indochino suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crease, Jan 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. toshin

toshin Member

Hmm, sounds alright. Thanks for the info!

Guess i'll try get the measurements done this weekend and place my order.
    Probably gonna get the essential navy.

Do people recommend the waist pocket, and slim notch?
    I'm also guessing dual vents are the way to go thesedays?

2. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

I always go with the standard notch lapel, because I don't really wear skinny ties. As for the waist pocket, I mostly use it because I have a long upper body and the waist pocket helps my appearance. Double vents are a standard choice for me too, looks more elegant in my opinion - tried centre vent once and just didn't feel comfortable with it.

3. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

I just wish they would offer wider lapels -- blacklapel will make their lapels as wide (or narrow) as you like.

4. 3dg3

3dg3 Member

Hey guys, need some feedback on my second indochino suit. I got my first one in June 2011 and put on a bit of chest/back/shoulder muscle since then and decided to get a new suit with updated measurements

I originally posted this here http://www.styleforum.net/t/334095/2nd-indochino-suit-could-use-some-feedback but figured I might get some more attention in this thread. Please give the original thread a look for some additional details.

For reference, I'm about 5'7"-5'8" with a skinny frame. Apologizing beforehand for the crappy picture quality.

[​IMG]

The button stance on the new suit is a little higher (about an inch or so) than the old one, which feels weird when buttoning the jacket up since I'm so used to having it lower. I enjoy having a V-shape in my suit. Do you think this one is sufficient? What about the button stance? I kind of like having longer lapels so I was thinking of having the stance moved down.

[​IMG]

It's a little tough to see in the above pic but some of the fabric at my lats/armpit seems to form into a wrinkle. Is this ok or does this mean the back is too wide?

[​IMG]

My shoulders are slightly pulled back here which is accentuating the creases but I'm still wondering if perhaps the armholes or sleeves themselves are too wide (or are they supposed to look like this?). I might gain some additional size on my arms in the future (or I might not) so I don't know if I should have them altered. Either way, here's a picture with my shoulders and arms in a more relaxed position, which makes the creases slightly less noticeable.

[​IMG]

So what do you guys think?

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Yeah, they aren't as flexible as some other online mtm companies, but you get what you pay for. I haven't used blacklapel, but I just took a look at their website, and their suits are 1-3 hundred dollars more than Indochino. Maybe that's why they're more accommodating. You get what you pay for.

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I think that you may have over-estimated the amount of muscle that you've put on. Guys always over-estimate their chest/back/shoulders and underestimate their waist. That looks like it's exactly what you did. Those shoulders look too wide. The back and chest are probably a bit wide as well. The waist looks like it could use a bit more room. Shorten the sleeves a little. Lower the collar. In real life, it doesn't look bad, but to a critical eye, there are some obvious problem.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. 3dg3

3dg3 Member

Thanks. I guess I may have overestimated but I thought I was pretty conservative with the measurements. Do you mind describing why the back/chest/shoulders don't fit properly, just so I know what to look for?

On the side pic, the jacket seems to follow the curvature of my back. I can kind of see the issue with the shoulders now that you mention it but I thought the pads are supposed to end wherever my shoulder ends. Should the pads line up with the end of my shoulder frame? The reason I'm asking is that I have some muscle extending past the frame of my shoulders and I'm afraid that if I narrow the shoulders I'll end up with a visible dent underneath the pads.

Here's what my last jacket looked like. It fits very snug at this point (which I've come to like) but it seems like men's jackets are supposed to have some more room.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. 3dg3

3dg3 Member

I'm still not sure what to think of the armholes and sleeves since I'm used to them being skinnier. I was thinking about just leaving it as is in case I end up gaining more weight. It might not happen right away but I don't want to shell out another $400 for a new suit if I gain more size.

Also, am I correct in thinking that a lower button stance, and therefore longer lapels would give the impression of a longer torso (as I have long legs but a short torso).

9. LorenzL

LorenzL Senior member

Agreed - on the side view pics there is a noticeable gap between the vents, it's a bit too tight there. Shoulders seem to be a bit too large, but perhaps a tailor can clear up the back and the wrinkles around the shoulders? Not sure as shoulders are usually the most tricky part.

(unrelated: Indochino started their Chinese New Year Sale, quite surprising - you can get 20% off everything: Chinese New Year Sale)

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...surprised me too. In the beginning of the year, I contacted them and they said that they weren't going to have one this year. Because of that, I made it through January without making any big purchases...not sure if I'll get anything, but I'm glad that they changed their minds.

11. 3dg3

3dg3 Member

Not sure if this post is going to go through since they're all getting sent into the mod queue...

So you're saying it's the tightness of the waist of the jacket that's causing the vent to flare out a bit?

And since my last post hasn't been approved yet, I'll just ask again:
    -Would it be worth getting the button stance lowered a bit? Would this help elongate my torso?
    -By the shoulders being too large, do you guys mean that they're too wide or that they're too big circumference wise (at the armholes)? If it's the latter, I thought the shoulder pads are supposed to end wherever my shoulder ends, which it seemed like they did when I wore it. Is this wrong?

From the feedback so far I'm thinking it might be easier to just request a remake.

12. toshin

toshin Member

Just put in my order! Worked out well with the random 20% off. CNY is still 2 weeks away isn't it?

Noticed that most of their measurements were very close and almost spot on based on my weight and height and other body selections. Most of my actual measurements were just 1/2 an inch smaller (few larger) than the ones they guessed.

Still not sure if ill regret normal notch over slim. Didn't get the waist pocket either as it apparently makes you look shorter (if you are). Too bad, thought it looked decent for others.

Hope it works out for me since i probably won't have time for a remake, as i'll need the suit very early April (unless i ask for a remake but use the original once anyway).

Would definitely get another in the near future if its a good fit.

13. toshin

toshin Member

Just put in my order! Worked out well with the random 20% off. CNY is still 2 weeks away isn't it?

Noticed that most of their measurements were very close and almost spot on based on my weight and height and other body selections. Most of my actual measurements were just 1/2 an inch smaller (few larger) than the ones they guessed.

Still not sure if ill regret normal notch over slim. Didn't get the waist pocket either as it apparently makes you look shorter (if you are). Too bad, thought it looked decent for others.

Hope it works out for me since i probably won't have time for a remake, as i'll need the suit very early April (unless i ask for a remake but use the original once anyway).

Would definitely get another in the near future if its a good fit.

14. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Besides the fit issues, it's much too aggressively styled (extreme v-shape, skinny legs) to be useful for an office job or nearly any other situation.

15. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

I made an order January 25th in the afternoon, and just got an email that it shipped today, the 5th of February. That's well under two weeks, just wondering if anyone else had such a fast turnaround? It was originally scheduled for delivery on February 22, now its for the 9th. Maybe they're rushing things out before Chinese New Year?

16. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

What did you order? Some things don't take as long to get done...sucks that you didn't get the 20% off, but at least you got a quick turnaround.

17. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

I got the Gilt City deal, so it wasn't like I paid full price. For the suit and shirt alone, I would have paid $460, I got it for $415 plus a bunch of other random stuff (tie,tie clip, pocket square, cufflinks). And besides, I ordered the last possible day before the delays for CNY, and I needed it for a wedding, so I'll live with it. Be great if they always shipped this fast though.

18. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...same here. I didn't know that you'd bought the Gilt coupon. That's a good deal.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  19. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I asked for higher armholes, and I got a message saying "Your request for lower armholes has been added to your account."

I think that sums up most of the experiences with Indochino in this thread.

20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Haha. I had nothing but good experiences/interactions with Indochino. I emailed them right after ordering my tux and asked for higher armholes, lower button stance, and less shoulder padding, and received an email saying "thank you, these preferences have been added to your account for this and any future suit purchases." Also, when it came time for a remake, I unfortunately missed the deadline to submit new measurements because of a family emergency. I emailed customer service at Indochino and they gladly extended the remake deadline for me.

Obviously, other people's experiences have differed.

1 person likes this.