• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Titus4Mayor

Reaction score
Thanks, TennesseeJed... I can't wait for the rest of the pics!!! The lapels definitely add some flair, but I'm hoping that it's such a classic suit that it won't look like it's overdoing it...

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Contacted them via the form on the site about 3 days ago regarding a question on button stance and haven't heard back. How long do they usually take to answer support questions?

sajendra

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought the recent Indochino Gilt City deal and am now am trying to decide what suit to get and could use some input. I hope this is the right place to post the question.
I have narrowed it down to either the "Essential Gray Suit" or the "Essential Prince of Wales Suit" (I was also considering the "Essential Charcoal Suit" but have mostly ruled it out).
My wife likes the Prince of Wales Suit, so that's currently the forerunner. I was however wondering if due to the pattern, the Price of Wales suit might be less "formal" and therefore less versatile than the Gray Suit (any input on that would be great). I don't need a suit for day-to-day wear, so I don't have to worry too much about how "conservative" the suit is, though it might be handy to keep in mind for any interviews or job situations in the future. I do already own The Essential Navy Suit (and also a dinner jacket) from IC and am happy with the fit and IC process.
Any helpful input, or people that might have both suits and can compare?

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello all,

I bought the recent Indochino Gilt City deal and am now am trying to decide what suit to get and could use some input. I hope this is the right place to post the question.
I have narrowed it down to either the "Essential Gray Suit" or the "Essential Prince of Wales Suit" (I was also considering the "Essential Charcoal Suit" but have mostly ruled it out).
My wife likes the Prince of Wales Suit, so that's currently the forerunner. I was however wondering if due to the pattern, the Price of Wales suit might be less "formal" and therefore less versatile than the Gray Suit (any input on that would be great). I don't need a suit for day-to-day wear, so I don't have to worry too much about how "conservative" the suit is, though it might be handy to keep in mind for any interviews or job situations in the future. I do already own The Essential Navy Suit (and also a dinner jacket) from IC  and am happy with the fit and IC process.
Any helpful input, or people that might have both suits and can compare?

The standard gray is more of a classic suit. But the POW might be able to be broken up. So the answer depends on how you plan to use it.

sajendra

Reaction score
The standard gray is more of a classic suit. But the POW might be able to be broken up. So the answer depends on how you plan to use it.

Thanks for bringing that point up. I had forgot to mention that I was also interested in perhaps breaking them up on occasion to obtain a pair of trousers, and maybe a jacket.
Is there something about the POW that makes it more suitable for breaking up, but also less classic? In all honesty they look very similar to me on the screen, but that could be a limitation of not having seen them in person, or my untrained eye.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am one of the people who had some early success with IC. The suit I bought in Nov 2010 is part of my normal rotation, so it gets worn weekly or every other week. Today I put on the jacket and noticed that the shoulders are starting to show some dimpling, much like what others have seen straight out of the box. This is odd because the shoulders were straight when I first bought it. It almost seems like the shoulder pad isn't smooth anymore. I guess the issue others have seen has now crept into my jacket after nearly 18 months of wear.

baldbrah

Reaction score
hello SF,

i've been following this thread but just recently signed up. decided to gamble with an indochino suit with the giltcity coupon a month back. just got the suit today and put it on right out of the box.

looking for criticism and advice on what should be tailored/change, or if a whole remake is better.

the sleeve is a bit long and i'm not sure about the back, there's some pucker around the neck area, can a tailor take care of that?

It's the essential navy suit with regular notched lapels. thanks!!

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hello SF,

i've been following this thread but just recently signed up. decided to gamble with an indochino suit with the giltcity coupon a month back. just got the suit today and put it on right out of the box.

looking for criticism and advice on what should be tailored/change, or if a whole remake is better.

the sleeve is a bit long and i'm not sure about the back, there's some pucker around the neck area, can a tailor take care of that?

It's the essential navy suit with regular notched lapels. thanks!!

Both can be adjusted by a tailor. some would say the jacket looks short overall, but not by much. Does it cover your butt? Maybe just a hair wide in the shoulders. In general I think it looks decent.

baldbrah

Reaction score
Both can be adjusted by a tailor. some would say the jacket looks short overall, but not by much. Does it cover your butt? Maybe just a hair wide in the shoulders. In general I think it looks decent.

Thank you! I agree that the jacket is a bit short.

Also, I noticed that my lapels arent sitting flat against my chest. I would say my chest is a bit muscular, what can I tell to fix to alleviate this?

Contemplating sending it back and having them remake it with the following:
  • reduce sleeves .5"
  • lower button stance 1"
  • add .5" to shoulders
  • add 1" to length of jacket

judging from the pics, does this sound reasonable?

Titus4Mayor

Reaction score
Alright... Full body of my navy suit from Indochino. I say give it a shot before you knock it. Once again, I did have both the waist of the jacket and pants let out almost an inch each... But I'm happy with the end result. Opinions?

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Hard to tell all the details from your shot (for example, sleeve length), but I think it looks pretty damn good Titus.

scongly

Reaction score
Went to a Traveling Tailor event today...pretty busy overall when I went. Got the measurements done for me and put on file...had to do a bit of tinkering with the template (which I suppose is the whole point). Nice set up...and pretty good service.

That being said...decided to hold off on a suit from them (after reading a bit on SF and seeing some of the tribulations of others in this thread)...and rather started off with a few dress shirts to see how they turn out [I think I went with 2 french, 2 double button]. Will see how it turns out!

Last edited:

LorenzL

Reaction score

Alright... Full body of my navy suit from Indochino. I say give it a shot before you knock it. Once again, I did have both the waist of the jacket and pants let out almost an inch each... But I'm happy with the end result. Opinions?

Looks awesome! Liking the peak lapels too.

baldbrah

Reaction score
when i send back a suit for remake, can i just stuff it in a priority flat rate box? cause if i send it back in the big original box, it'll be costly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads