• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

bigworm81

Reaction score
Ya its amazing, usually pants are the problem for me because i have long legs and can end up looking like ichabod crane if I'm not careful. good luck with your remake. post some pics when you get it back.

Marino

Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in as well. I got the Essential Navy Blue Suit quite a while back. I must have messed up the measurements quite significantly, because pretty much everything except sleeve length and pants length was far off. My tailor was able to turn it into something acceptable, but in hindsight I should have sent this thing back.

Then it occurred to me that a 38R/48 suit generally fits me nearly perfectly and that that would take much less alterations than going the presumably more precise way of measuring yourself. I sent an e-mail to Indochino's service desk and asked if they could just make me a 38R suit. They updated my measurements within a day. I haven't ordered a suit yet based on these measurements though. I understand this kind of defies the purpose of going custom, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that they're happy to update your measurements to an OTR equivalent.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fit a 36R pretty regularly, and I would use indochino if they had a standard size like that where I could customize the options (lapel, buttons, etc.)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
after reading a few pages of this, I feel compelled to shake my head and write with confusion to ask why people are still doing this?! It's a suit, a rather complex garment that's being put onto a unique body. You're sending off measurements and getting back something that 'looks' like a suit but it isn't folks. I understand people don't have budgets for (some) OTR but even going shopping at a store and fitting on a bunch in person is still a long difficult process to find something that even then for many just about fits well enough not to be laughed at, so what are the chances that this process will work better? and based on everything we've seen, it doesn't. Suit after suit, remake after remake, and most of them look terrible. They look like a machine designed and made them, so while they have a list of measurements correct, of course it's just no substitute for a real live person who's designed something and made it to have a personality. If your suit fits well it's almost more likely a fluke. I just don't get why people are wasting their money on this process.

Marino

Reaction score

after reading a few pages of this, I feel compelled to shake my head and write with confusion to ask why people are still doing this?! It's a suit, a rather complex garment that's being put onto a unique body. You're sending off measurements and getting back something that 'looks' like a suit but it isn't folks. I understand people don't have budgets for (some) OTR but even going shopping at a store and fitting on a bunch in person is still a long difficult process to find something that even then for many just about fits well enough not to be laughed at, so what are the chances that this process will work better? and based on everything we've seen, it doesn't. Suit after suit, remake after remake, and most of them look terrible. They look like a machine designed and made them, so while they have a list of measurements correct, of course it's just no substitute for a real live person who's designed something and made it to have a personality. If your suit fits well it's almost more likely a fluke. I just don't get why people are wasting their money on this process.

I agree with the gist of your message (Indochino generally doesn't work and you overpay for it), but it does come across a bit condescending. You can't blame people for trying, especially if they're not willing or able to shell out $000's for the bespoke route. Rather than shaking your head in confusion, perhaps you care to offer some tips for those who look for something acceptable in the $400,- range? E.g. searching this forum for traveling tailors in your area with competitive pricing? Or buying through Yoox and then altering at your local tailor...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with Master-Classer.

Want something in the $400 range? Suit Supply (you can buy online now), Uniqlo, Zara, H&M... Probably even Target.

Indochino is deeply flawed in their designs. Even the suits the models are wearing on the website look like ****.

Last edited:

Pharaoh34

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a suit from them, but it's a lot of mixed reviews.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I agree with the gist of your message (Indochino generally doesn't work and you overpay for it), but it does come across a bit condescending. You can't blame people for trying, especially if they're not willing or able to shell out $000's for the bespoke route. Rather than shaking your head in confusion, perhaps you care to offer some tips for those who look for something acceptable in the $400,- range? E.g. searching this forum for traveling tailors in your area with competitive pricing? Or buying through Yoox and then altering at your local tailor...

look, on the attitude comment, you're totally right. It wasn't quite called for, it's just frustration. This is an entire forum dedicated to looking great in a suit and there are already so many resources here for helping people find something good, if not great, that it's frustrating to me to see people take a quick and cheap route and expect good or even acceptable results. Several senior people have popped in here and said more or less the same thing, that for most people, the results of this sort of process don't seem very good. And there IS help available - the whole forum has tonnes of resources for those who're willing to help themselves. if people would just take a little time and cared to make things right, they could do so much better.

to me, giving feedback on fit with these types of suits is like nitpicking on getting from 85% perfection to 95% perfection, except we're actually just taking it from 50% to 60%, know what I mean. It's often just so far off that remaking it (which doesn't really solve the actual problem) is the best option.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

look, on the attitude comment, you're totally right. It wasn't quite called for, it's just frustration. This is an entire forum dedicated to looking great in a suit and there are already so many resources here for helping people find something good, if not great, that it's frustrating to me to see people take a quick and cheap route and expect good or even acceptable results. Several senior people have popped in here and said more or less the same thing, that for most people, the results of this sort of process don't seem very good. And there IS help available - the whole forum has tonnes of resources for those who're willing to help themselves. if people would just take a little time and cared to make things right, they could do so much better.
to me, giving feedback on fit with these types of suits is like nitpicking on getting from 85% perfection to 95% perfection, except we're actually just taking it from 50% to 60%, know what I mean. It's often just so far off that remaking it (which doesn't really solve the actual problem) is the best option.

This is absolutely 100% correct. MTM is great for shirts and pants, but not for jackets.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
The waist is way too emphasized to the point of being unnatural. Yes, the rear also flare out too much as as a previous poster said, if you lengthen the jacket by an inch and a half, and limit the waist suppresion you should see a much better fit.

Good luck!

here's my jacket which i am sending back for obvious changes to the waist/torso/hip area.
I sent these pics to Indochino customer service and their recommendation was +1" on the stomach, and +1" on the hips, and minimal waist suppression.
would you agree? as you can see it flares out at the back, and its very tight across the waist.

any other recommendations would be great too, (ie shoulders/jacket sleeve and **** length)

atlrus

Reaction score

... Rather than shaking your head in confusion, perhaps you care to offer some tips for those who look for something acceptable in the $400,- range? E.g. searching this forum for traveling tailors in your area with competitive pricing? Or buying through Yoox and then altering at your local tailor...

Measure yourself, open the Indochino website and type "ebay.com" in the address bar.
There are high line Zegna/Canali/equivalent you can find new for $500-$800. I've seen those in like-new condition for less than $250. Make sure you get your basic measurements right and with some basic alterations you'll have a great suit, rather than this polyester crap.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their spamming of another manufacturers thread has just guaranteed that I'll never buy anything from propersuit.com.

Titus4Mayor

Reaction score
Sooo... I just bought my first Indochino suit earlier this month after looking for many reviews online. I got the essential navy suit since I'm about to graduate soon and needed one for interviews and all; this forum has been a great help. Received it yesterday, and took it to my tailor to see what he thought. He was pleased and thought Indochino was pretty on-point with the fit, and he was surprised by the low price and features that the suit had. Either way, we decided to let out the seat of the pants a little, and also the waist of both the pants and jacket. Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase thus far. Only thing I wish is that Indochino would use their tags with their new font for their suits (minor detail)! I'll have to wait a week or so for my tailor to do his thing, but I'll post pics when it's done.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
That's good, but I think there's way too much negative experience here at least for me to consider indo. I agree on getting something respectable at a discount store and take it to a tailor for alterations. Ultimately it doesn't matter if they use canvass, etc. if the thing doesn't fit me it's not for me.

Sooo... I just bought my first Indochino suit earlier this month after looking for many reviews online. I got the essential navy suit since I'm about to graduate soon and needed one for interviews and all; this forum has been a great help. Received it yesterday, and took it to my tailor to see what he thought. He was pleased and thought Indochino was pretty on-point with the fit, and he was surprised by the low price and features that the suit had. Either way, we decided to let out the seat of the pants a little, and also the waist of both the pants and jacket. Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase thus far. Only thing I wish is that Indochino would use their tags with their new font for their suits (minor detail)! I'll have to wait a week or so for my tailor to do his thing, but I'll post pics when it's done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics