1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Indochino suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crease, Jan 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

Got my first Indochino suit, it's overall too big and boxy. I actually measured really snug, but still things came out too big.

I'll post my body measurements and the resulting garment measurements on this thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/314044/my-first-indochino-suit-should-i-ask-for-remake

The pants fits really well, maybe a tad big on the seat. The shirt also fits well, but the neck is 1/ - 1" too big.

Please give me some feedback on that thread as well.

Thanks.

2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Then back to my point, I think it's asking too much for a $400 suit maker to be up front about every bit of minutiae. $400 is still a very cheap price in the suit world. What you're asking for just might be a physical limitation of their tailors or their process. Now if this was a $2-3k MTM shop I'd feel differently and expect more info and dialogue prior to an order, and would expect them to stick closer to my requests, or I wouldn't order.

Not every brand is for everyone. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa. Stinks that they couldn't give you what you wanted, so at least here there is the return option. Unfortunately for you, it appears to me that all of these HK-based MTM online shops are all clones of one another (modern tailor, black lapel, 7 regent lane) so you'll have to find the one that works best by trial and error.

3. MeasureOfMan

MeasureOfMan Member

I wouldn't say armholes are a minute detail - I think they define the look of the suit. IC needs to say when their tailors cannot do something - I would have gone elsewhere. Their customer service probably doesn't know what the tailors can or cannot do. That is a problem on their end, not mine. Now I've wasted six weeks and will have to pay return shipping. I mentioned it before, but Jason at TaT told me upfront the armhole on his suits are 9.25". THAT is how you do business. IC leads you on.

I may try Modern Tailor, even though I fear the fabric quality a bit. They let you specify armhole measurement, and I've emailed to see if there is minimum below which they won't go. ANy other suggestions?

4. CousinDonuts

Alright I see what you're saying. Every place has a house cut so to speak, and each approaches things differently. I suspect you're part of maybe <5% who ask about armhole measurements and maybe IC figured they could just gloss over your question. They hope you like what they made but if not well that's built into the business plan and they move on to the next person. TaT isn't trying to be a worldwide brand, he's closer to true MTM than IC is, and he must be upfront with his customers because he needs them to like the product and buy more. Sounds like you should keep what you're doing - survey these folks up front and then gravitate towards those who can handle what you're looking for. good luck!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  5. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

For those of you who went through a remake before, I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I adjust the the measurements on the Account -> Measurment page to reflect what the new measurement I wish to have (chest 34"...) ? Or should I indicate the desirable changes (chest -2" ...) on the "REQUEST MEASUREMENT CHANGES" section of the remake request?
    2. If I request the shoulders to be taken in by 1" (1/2" on each end), to keep the sleeve end point the same, should I add 1/2" to each sleeve length?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Just to clarify, when taking your measurements, should they be done wearing a shirt and pants already? It appears as though in the videos the only measurements not taken over clothing are the neck and wrist measurement.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  7. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

Yes, according to the video, you should do it while wearing shirt and pants. Wrist and neck should be taken without clothing.

I'd recommend wearing pants and shirts that are thin in material and close fitting so they don't add too much to your measurements. E.g. no jeans or flannel shirts.

8. smoove7410

smoove7410 Member

I got my remake........literally perfect. No alterations necessary and I am VERY hard to fit. Being muscular, I have a broad chest/shoulder/back, but a narrow waist. I am very pleased with my purchase. Consider your first suit a wash that is for fitment purposes only. See a tailor, and adjust from there.

If you are very skinny, why are you complaining? Suits off the rack are modeled to fit you.

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

What kind of problems did you have with your first iteration, and what adjustments did you make? I'm a similar shape (muscular with very broad chest/shoulders/back but a narrow stomach/waist) and am having a tux made from Indochino. I'm just a little nervous about how it'll turn out. Any specific tips? (I haven't sent my measurements/ordered yet).

10. CousinDonuts

Which rack are you buying from? In Louisville, KY the RTW stuff is for fat people who have never seen a gym. Ha

Glad the remake worked out.

11. smoove7410

smoove7410 Member

I measured snug, as most have said, but it still came pretty loose. I went to my tailor to get her input on what I should amend. I think I did:

Jacket:
    -2" chest
    -1" waist
    -1" hip
    -1/2" bicep
    -1/2" wrist
    I also requested smaller arm holes......I think they did like 1/4" higher.

Pants:
    -1" waist

Shirt:
    -2" waist
    -1" hip
    -1/2" bicep

The pants were spot on the first time except the waist was too big. The shirt was nice except for the waist....I prefer it more snug and form fitting. For the jacket, it was too big in the wrong places. I took the remake out of the box and tried all of it on. I, amazingly, am impressed. It feels nice to have a suit that fits.

Like I said before, treat the first suit as a first fitting that will most of the time look pretty unappealing. Go to a good tailor you trust, explain the process, note the changes, and send them in. The difference in the jacket between suit one and two is night and day. Just make sure you have about a 2 month window to get everything sorted out. My suits each took slightly less than three weeks from order to delivery. (20 days)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  12. smoove7410

smoove7410 Member

Oh, I'm in the Beverly Hills area, so I guess it's the demographic. Our OTR suits are pretty slim, but not good for unique builds.

13. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

smoov7410, great information.

I'm actually in the process of requesting a remake, and my request is almost exactly as yours.

My Jacket:
    -1.5" chest
    -1" waist
    -1" hip
    -1" bicep
    I also requested higher holes

Pants:
    -0.5" waist
    -0.5" seat
    -0.5" length

Shirt:
    -0.75" neck
    -2" waist
    -1" hip
    -1/2" bicep

That got me thinking, maybe Indochino consistently add a bit too much to these measurements (chest, waist...)

Can anyone else share their remake request so we can see if there is a pattern? If there is, I think this will help the newcomers to adjust their measurement to achieve the desired result without a remake.

I'll post the full remake request once I finalize it.

14. pack66

pack66 Active Member

I have a question for those that have ordered a suit. I recently purchased the Daily Hookup deal. I picked up the Essential Charcoal suit as that is the one suit color I do not have. At first I was considering a burgundy or deep purple liner, but have read that the lining shows in the sleeves (somewhere in this forum) from time to time. For those that have an essential suit, your thoughts?

Also, I've thought about doing contrasting buttonholes. If I were to do that option, I'd stick with my current color lining (grey). How light is the grey lining? Has anyone else done the contrasting buttonhole?

Also, I've asked for reduced waist suppression and high armholes. I've read that the high armholes option is now standard, is that correct?

Thanks for the responses in advance.

-J

15. irfan22

irfan22 Member

Hey guys,

Just got my indochino suit in the mail. This is after going to the traveling tailor event in Chicago 4 weeks ago. This is my first suit from them and i was hoping it would be a perfect fit but looks like the pants need adjusting. Thoughts? The suit seems a bit tight but i i think its b/c its a custom fit.

16. irfan22

irfan22 Member

How do I embed the photos in the post?

17. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

Would have been better if you didn't put your hand in your pant pocket but I think the shoulders look fine and it doesn't look too tight but the pulling could be from your hand in your pocket..

18. Alex Takashi

Alex Takashi Member

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hi Guys,

This is my first indochino suit. Got it from their Chicago traveling tailor.
    Apologize for all the clutter around it. I live alone and got a chance for my friend to help shoot some pics.

First:
    The pants are good fit, the picture showing them crumpled up because I wasn't standing upright. Or is there a problem with the back of the knee like this?

Second:
    Please comment on the sleeves, is the wrinkle ok? or issit just me standing in an awkward position?

Main concern:
    Overall, the fit was Ok. my main concern is the back vent. I was stupid enough to get fooled by the sales person to take the center vent. (I know I know...)
    Given my build, I have a big ass, and when I button up, the back vent pops up. (see picture 3) It also creates an unusual wrinkle.
    Is this a bad suit? what is the problem?

I brought my suit to men's wearhouse for a fitting, the tailor was impressed with the fit. I asked her about what can be done, she said she like it already, all she did was take-in an inch for the pants' waist.

Need a quick review guys since indochino has a 14 day remake policy and my suit is delivered on Sept 4th! Should I ask for a remake or should I leave it as is?
    I will post some clearer photos if needed.

Thanks a lot.

19. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

The wrinkle is an issue with the sleeve pitch (ie - how they made the suit). Apart from that, I think the shoulders are a little wide, button stance a little too high and the centre vent a bad choice. I'd ask for a remake if I were you.

I think you could have .5-1" off the shoulders. Probably .5" to be safe but we'll see what others say. Also ask for duel back vents, a lower button stance (by 1") and high armholes.

Otherwise isn't too bad at all.

20. StormRider

StormRider Senior member