• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

mjc

Reaction score
I would say that life is too short to get angry about expired coupons...

They did not act dishonourably, nor did you. It just didn't work out.

These coupon codes re-appear every few months, for the patient.

- Mike

Quatsch

Reaction score
Well I just got my suit and it looks mostly good except for one major problem - the shoulders are massively too big, probably a full inch to inch and a half. I went back to the website and checked my measurement profile and on the shoulders measurement it says 19 inches, which perplexes me because I *very* distinctly remember measuring and entering 18 inches for the shoulders. Do you think they changed it due to what they thought sounded right? I can't imagine why, 18 inch shoulders/39 inch chest sounds pretty normal.

Now the problem is that they say on the alterations guide that the shoulders can be adjusted up to 2 inches, but I was under the impression that you couldn't adjust the shoulders without it looking pretty funky. Confirm/deny?

Also the navy fabric really is lightweight. A bit too lightweight.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
Well I just got my suit and it looks mostly good except for one major problem - the shoulders are massively too big, probably a full inch to inch and a half. I went back to the website and checked my measurement profile and on the shoulders measurement it says 19 inches, which perplexes me because I *very* distinctly remember measuring and entering 18 inches for the shoulders. Do you think they changed it due to what they thought sounded right? I can't imagine why, 18 inch shoulders/39 inch chest sounds pretty normal.

Now the problem is that they say on the alterations guide that the shoulders can be adjusted up to 2 inches, but I was under the impression that you couldn't adjust the shoulders without it looking pretty funky. Confirm/deny?

Also the navy fabric really is lightweight. A bit too lightweight.

Would be weird if they change around the settings, right? To make sure I printed my original measurements so I can compare once I got the suit. Changing it would be weird indeed, I have similar measurments (18 shoulders, 38 chest). I'd love to see some pictures if you have time?

Quatsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
Would be weird if they change around the settings, right? To make sure I printed my original measurements so I can compare once I got the suit. Changing it would be weird indeed, I have similar measurments (18 shoulders, 38 chest). I'd love to see some pictures if you have time?
At work now but I'll try to put some up this evening. For what its worth, I do have access to an apparently very talented little old lady that my uncle uses for alterations. On Easter sunday she was telling me she took apart the suit he was wearing and trimmed it up on the sides and the fit was really great, so hopefully she can work some wonders with it.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Okay so my first assessment was overly optimistic. I think the pants are fine. The suit has problems in the shoulders and sleeves. I requested a soft shoulder and while the shoulder itself has little or no padding, the top of the sleeve seems to have a fair bit, and I'm unsure about the effect this creates. But yeah, like I said the shoulders are prettty big. In a couple of these pictures I tried to indicate the distance between my shoulder joint actually ends and the shoulder of the jacket - the place where the seams running from your neck down meet the sleeve seam. The sleeves are too big in between the shoulder and the forearm. Probably all the way down. How do you guys think I should handle this? Salvageable? Also - the sleeves are unhemmed - i just rolled them back in a bit, and sorry, I guess my mirror is dirty.
P1020107.jpg
P1020110.jpg
P1020106.jpg
P1020109.jpg
P1020116.jpg
P1020115.jpg

senseiireland

Reaction score
Yikes. I am not expecting the suit to be perfect, but I hope mine turns out a bit better than that. I'm also disappointed that they're having shipping difficulties. With the allure of 2 weeks to doorstep gone, I'm a bit uncomfortable with this entire process, particularly if I need to remake the suit. Hopefully, they'll look at my height (5'11") and weight (150lbs) and realize my measurements are accurate. There's no excuse for being more than an inch off, in my opinion... that updated blog entry frightens me. I'm already a bit annoyed that my suit hasn't arrive despite being sent to the tailor on the 28th... fingers crossed that it will all work out...

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves seem too baggy as well.

sharkw

Reaction score
New member here, I made my first order with Indochino using the coupon code on March 25, got in just before it was canceled. Pretty soon after they sent the e-mail talking about the recent growth which would affect times for concierge responses, and changed the turnaround times for new orders to 21-28 days. However, they haven't mentioned whether my order's been changed, so it should be interesting to see whether they can meet the 2-week shipping guarantee in my case (April 8). Last status indicates that my order's been "Sent to Tailor" and presumably still unshipped.

Of course, I'm expecting my first suit to need alterations despite my very careful attempts to get detailed measurements. I put 18" for my shoulder measurement (which wasn't changed), but I only have a 35.25" chest and am 5'6", 140 lbs, so if they add anything at the shoulders the fit will probably be off. Actually, I suspect my 18" shoulder measurement may be too long - I did all my upper body measurements with a well-fitting dress shirt on as shown in the videos, but my only fitting suit jacket is less than 18" at the shoulders I believe.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Yes, the sleeves are baggy and the shoulders are comically huge. I'm unsure whether I should opt for a remake or just return it - I don't think any tailor can fix that, certainly not for $75
Originally Posted by sharkw
New member here, I made my first order with Indochino using the coupon code on March 25, got in just before it was canceled. Pretty soon after they sent the e-mail talking about the recent growth which would affect times for concierge responses, and changed the turnaround times for new orders to 21-28 days. However, they haven't mentioned whether my order's been changed, so it should be interesting to see whether they can meet the 2-week shipping guarantee in my case (April 8). Last status indicates that my order's been "Sent to Tailor" and presumably still unshipped. Of course, I'm expecting my first suit to need alterations despite my very careful attempts to get detailed measurements. I put 18" for my shoulder measurement (which wasn't changed), but I only have a 35.25" chest and am 5'6", 140 lbs, so if they add anything at the shoulders the fit will probably be off. Actually, I suspect my 18" shoulder measurement may be too long - I did all my upper body measurements with a well-fitting dress shirt on as shown in the videos, but my only fitting suit jacket is less than 18" at the shoulders I believe.
I think 18 inches on the shoulders would be pretty wide for 5'6, 140. I'm 5'9 149 and my shoulder measurement is 18".

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
From their web site: "Fused and stitched interlining. In addition to fused interlining, higher quality suits will add some additional threading to physically attached the fused interlining to your suit. Reducing the risk of bubbles, this option is standard among most mid to high quality suits. Indochino opts for this option."
I have no idea what this means. And I should. Can someone scan the swatch of what they call the horsehair canvas?

GucciMonster

Reaction score
I'm new so maybe this is a stupid question - but why do people keep using indochino when it has such bad reviews? I never hear the same type of poor reviews concerning thick as thieves or that guy who visits from Hong Kong every once in a while...

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
I'm new so maybe this is a stupid question - but why do people keep using indochino when it has such bad reviews? I never hear the same type of poor reviews concerning thick as thieves or that guy who visits from Hong Kong every once in a while...

My guess is they are cheap, have a return policy, and every once in a while their suits do come out ok.

suiturself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
So here is my situation. In late March I went to Indochino to place my first order using the promo code redflagdeal (25% off, free shirt, free tie). Everything looked good, but before I submitted the order, I saw the Tailor's Kit. I ordered the Tailor's Kit and it arrived fast. I went back to my shopping bag and the code was no longer valid! I e-mailed customer service and they said it expired on March 28 and because of the recent growth, they felt they no longer needed to offer incentives to sell their product. This is disappointing as I had the shopping bag full before the disocunt expired and they can tell I want to do business because I ordered the Tailor's Kit and have a $29 credit that expires in 29 days. I also had no idea teh code was expiring on March 28 or I would have used it. We have communicated back and forth they did give my a promo code that is 20% of the suit.

Do you think it is unreasonable to be upset? My knee jerk reaction to to get a pair of cufflinks with my credit from the Tailor's Kit and wash my hands of Indochino because their customer service will not work with me. Modern Tailor would have made they exception....Please advise.

I understand why you're upset. I think the best thing to do is to not give them your business, at least for now. Pretty soon they'll realize that the "recent growth" was because of the coupon, not because of them taking off and they'll be forced to announce more coupons.

Based on the few reviews I've seen, it seems like quite a hassle since they don't seem to be able to get the fit even close on the first try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads