1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Indochino suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crease, Jan 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

Just dropped the suit off at a tailor--

she said she's going to:
    let the hem down on the pants a bit, and angle the hem
    let the pants out in the crotch and upper thigh
    let the vest out in the sides
    let the jacket out in the waist / chest / back
    if letting the jacket out in the back doesn't work (she's going to call me when that's done), she can open up the collar seam and take the extra fabric in there.

Probably going to run around 80-100 dollars in all. I'll post some pics once it's all done

I'd be very-very wary. I've had terrible experience with women tailoring my clothes. Also, the price seems too low for those kinds of alterations. I hope she knows what she's doing.

2. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior Member

Any inputs on my suit? I don't want to make the umpteenth "Critique this fit" thread =/ As for the things I could see (jacket chest / waist, waistcoat let out), I think I can trust that to the local "alterations" shops. I use quotes because the alleged best one in town asked me why I didn't button the bottom button on my jacket. F that noise. The wrinkles at the nape, though...how difficult would that be to fix? do I need a remake?
    OK, so here's the deal. Front of the suit is decent - I'd suggest taking 1/2" out across the chest. Lengthen the right sleeve about 1/4". Now for the rest. You need 1.5" let out at the waist. Another inch across the back, possibly 1.5". You have a broad back, so you need to get them to make ONLY the back wider. There should be no adjustment on the front of the garment other than reducing the chest slightly. The "bunching" at your neck results because you have square shoulders. The garment is cut for regular shoulders. As such, your shoulders are "pushing" the shoulders of the garment up to where neck is. Get them to raise both of your by at least half an inch. Your pants - too tight. You need another half inch in the calf. Half inch in the thigh. You need to have a half inch in the stride, and add an inch to the back rise. Lastly, your jacket is to short, and the button stance too high. Opt for a tall garment. Make the jacket an inch longer (because you seem to want a shorter, modern look). OR, go for 1.5" to make it SLIGHTLY more conservative (my suggestion). And yeah, you can slope the pant, but the front break is great. Part of the problem is the pant is sitting on your calf from being too small. See how the remake goes if you do this. Post pics for comparison. [​IMG]

3. jimmystewart

jimmystewart New Member

OK, so here's the deal. Front of the suit is decent - I'd suggest taking 1/2" out across the chest. Lengthen the right sleeve about 1/4". Now for the rest. You need 1.5" let out at the waist. Another inch across the back, possibly 1.5". You have a broad back, so you need to get them to make ONLY the back wider. There should be no adjustment on the front of the garment other than reducing the chest slightly.

The "bunching" at your neck results because you have square shoulders. The garment is cut for regular shoulders. As such, your shoulders are "pushing" the shoulders of the garment up to where neck is. Get them to raise both of your by at least half an inch.

Your pants - too tight. You need another half inch in the calf. Half inch in the thigh. You need to have a half inch in the stride, and add an inch to the back rise.

Lastly, your jacket is to short, and the button stance too high. Opt for a tall garment. Make the jacket an inch longer (because you seem to want a shorter, modern look). OR, go for 1.5" to make it SLIGHTLY more conservative (my suggestion). And yeah, you can slope the pant, but the front break is great. Part of the problem is the pant is sitting on your calf from being too small.

See how the remake goes if you do this. Post pics for comparison.

[​IMG]

Wow, great thorough critique... sorry to be shameless about it, but when you have a chance could you give some thoughts on mine? [​IMG]

4. someotherstyle

I would, but you need to lighten those pics for me. I can't see anything with the fabric so dark. Could you artificially lighten them (even if it makes the color look wonky?)

Thanks

5. jimmystewart

jimmystewart New Member

I would, but you need to lighten those pics for me. I can't see anything with the fabric so dark. Could you artificially lighten them (even if it makes the color look wonky?)

Thanks

Sure! ....now a slightly-noisy charcoal grey (if these still don't work I can go back to the original full res pics and tweak them up a bit). Thanks again!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Acer

Acer Well-Known Member

someotherstyle, thanks for the great critique. I dropped it off at a local alterations shop, but I'm going to pick up the jacket and pants (I think they can handle letting the waistcoat out), and get a remake on them.

I sent an email to Angie detailing what you said, and I will make the adjustments in my measurements when I get to that step. Thanks again for the info!

7. someotherstyle

Sure! ....now a slightly-noisy charcoal grey (if these still don't work I can go back to the original full res pics and tweak them up a bit). Thanks again!
    No, this is good. And actually, the suit, especially for Indochino, is pretty good too. No huge complaints but here goes: Jacket - front is clean. lower both sleeves 1/2". Shorten your shirt sleeves 1/4" -1/2". - back is fairly clean as well. Tough to tell from the shots (post a side profile where I can see how your jacket is laying on your mid back, but keep your arms in the robot pose), but no alterations here. Get them to shorten the collar by 1/2" - simplest way to visualize this is if they will take fabric from the centre seam of the back essentially, but instead of the back will be the collar of the jacket. This will let your jacket lay flush against your neck, with no collar gap. - other than that, leave it. for the quality of the suit that you have there, its a pretty damn solid fit. Pents -lengthen by 1.5" or more. Remember its easier to have them taken up than let down. -personally I'd have them raise the front rise by 1/2", and the back by a full 1" -get more room in the seat 1", stride 1/2", and thigh 1/2" (this with the increased rise should alleviate the wedgie you're getting right now). -the problem you have with your pant ripple is because the pants are meant to be worn high up your backside. If you could pull them up that way, you will see that the pant will fall and lay still, no rippling. the above alts should help with you being able to do that. All in all though - solid fit for what you're paying for. Well done. edit: btw - keep the length. looks good on you. edit x 2: the shoulders are fine btw. padded, but there's nothing wrong with that.

8. someotherstyle

someotherstyle, thanks for the great critique. I dropped it off at a local alterations shop, but I'm going to pick up the jacket and pants (I think they can handle letting the waistcoat out), and get a remake on them.

I sent an email to Angie detailing what you said, and I will make the adjustments in my measurements when I get to that step. Thanks again for the info!

Personally, I'd remake it. You will be much happier, I promise.

9. Rummage

Rummage Active Member

One thing hasn't been mentioned here - you used the measurements from ModernTailor, that was a mistake in my opinion. It is always best if you measure exactly like suggested and their might be differences between the two? Anyway, I don't understand how they could ship this suit with so much waist suppression - they should have noticed it cannot be ok like this, shouldn't they?

No - I mentioned it earlier. That Indochino measures things slightly different so the modern tailor measurements could have been off.

Also, I vouch for Indochino. I've had a Charcoal 3-piece suit made from them and it turned out quite dandy.

10. Kslim

Kslim Senior Member

Originally, I was very intrigued by Indochino. However, the more I read this thread the more I am turned off. What a pity..

11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Distinguished Member

Indochino just got a new $4 mil infusion which is supposed to help with quality per the owners.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

My remake just shipped today...estimated delivery April 11. I hope this one turns out better than the first!

13. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior Member

Still very pleased with my suit...no remakes needed.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

^ You're one of the lucky ones! If the fit isn't right on this one, I think I'll have to look somewhere else for my suiting needs.

15. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber Senior Member

Hey guys, long time lurker, finally decided to join.

I've had one of those indochino groupons for a few months now, never got around to deciding what I wanted. I had been looking at their camel topcoat but that sold out. From what people have been posting about the suits recently, I dont think I want to spend a lot of time trying to get one to fit when I had another online MTM place (IMO) pretty much nail my fit the first time, for about the same price. And a while back people were saying the shirts werent anything great. Seems like a waste to get some ties, so I'm kinda stuck. [​IMG] Does anyone know if they still plan on doing cardigans at some point. I've got until August before the coupon expires.