• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Rummage

Reaction score
Trit - btw...make them remake that sh*t! They should actually just give you the suit for free and remake it. It is definitely embarrassing.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acer
Any inputs on my suit? I don't want to make the umpteenth "Critique this fit" thread =/

As for the things I could see (jacket chest / waist, waistcoat let out), I think I can trust that to the local "alterations" shops. I use quotes because the alleged best one in town asked me why I didn't button the bottom button on my jacket. F that noise. The wrinkles at the nape, though...how difficult would that be to fix? do I need a remake?

Looks OK to me. I'd lengthen the sleeves, lower the button stance and let the waist out a little. Also, something must be done about the bunching up of pants fabric in the seat area. Maybe widen the thigh measurement a bit. The pulling under the collar in the back is probably due to not enough material in the shoulders. I suppose, the back or the chest must be widened, but I'm not an expert on that, so I'd listen to a competent tailor.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acer
Wife thinks the pants are too short -- there is a break when standing, but a few inches of sock is visible when walking. Let the hem out or no?

Get the pants hemmed at an angle. Longer at the back,shorter at the front. Would help with the socks showing when walking.

facet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmystewart
All right, here goes... I'm not much for posting on forums (textbook lurker) but I've been following this thread and the 'great indochino debate' long enough that I thought it was worth contributing, especially after the helpful research and opinions of so many others influenced me to try indochino in the first place. Not sure if my results will help or hurt indochino's cause, but either way it should be informative.
smile.gif

I haven't seen much formal wear posted from them, so I wanted to share some pics of a tux I recently received. This is my first purchase from indochino and my first mtm suit (the 'dinner jacket tuxedo' - I wasn't going anywhere near that new Vegas strip collection). Like others have found, I was initially impressed with the overall fit and appearance (a big difference from OTR for me, even though I am a pretty standard size) but to my (novice and untrained) eye there are some adjustments that need to be made:

1. The pants are too short - they don't break over the shoe
2. The jacket sleeves are also a little short, though from what I understand it is permissible to show a little more sleeve (up to 1") with a tuxedo jacket...
3. The jacket might be a bit too long, though I'm definitely glad it didn't come out short and I'm not personally a huge fan of the whole 'modern look' of short jackets.
4. Shoulders possibly extend too far (though that could also be the 'traditional' padding)
5. Boy does indochino like making slim fit pants... they 'corrected' my thigh measurement and I feel the pants pull a bit around the hips. Overall they're decent though, not skin tight or anything.

I will obviously have a tailor look it all over, but any thoughts from the many sartorially knowledgeable denizens of styleforum are more than welcome. Any questions about the suit or ordering process just let me know (though I can't comment on customer service as I haven't used them yet).

Thanks all!

To my untrained eye, yours looks like one of the better ones, except for the stuff that you already mentioned. I'm not too sure if the jacket sleeve is too short or if the shirt sleeve could be shortened a bit as it looks to be a bit on the long side in your second pic. But, myself, I probably like my shirt sleeves a little shorter than most.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
jimmystewart, your tux looks ok....but you could have gotten the same fit from an OTC suit at a department store and avoided having to wait for it to get made and shipped and/or remade and shipped again, and again, and again...etc...

Trit, your suit is a complete disaster.....I feel for ya buddy, I really do.

Acer, your suit reminds me of a really beautifull red head that has her back turned to you, but when you approach her up close, she ends up having this big huge, hairy mole on her face, a huge gap between her teeth, and her voice is super high-pitched and annoying.....basically, your suit fits well in most areas, but the flaws in a few other areas are just too major, not to mention, unusual, wierd and...almost bizarre. I don't think a tailor could salvage the jacket appropriately. I think that, in the end, alterations would be like placing a band aid on a broken arm.....and the alterations needed in order to make the jacket wearable would not be minor.

mafeme, your armholes are too low, and the shoulders are too wide....I would expect that of a badly fitting OTC suit at JC Penney or Men's Wearhouse, but not a MTM suit.

Now, I'm not saying this to try to pick on anybody or try to troll up some funny comments. I've actually been reading up on many, many pages of this very long thread and I've become aware of the fact that indochino suits either:

1. end up being a complete horror show disaster.
2. Decent fit in certain areas, but completely flawed and unsalvageable in other areas.
3. OTC quality if only minorly flawed and only after being overhawled by a good, reputable tailor.

The best outcome I've seen posted by a satisfied customer on this thread looked exactly like a suit that fit no better than something you'd get off the rack and altered.

I could go shopping for sales at retail stores today, try on several suits, pick the best fitting, buy it that day for anywhere between $250 to just under $500, take it to my tailor for alterations and have it fit like the best indochino suit.....and I wouldn't have to wait more than a few days once the alterations were done.

The whole purpose of Indochino is to produce clothing that is less in quality than custom, but superior to that of off-the-rack.....It obviously fails at this. Customers cannot be expected to measure themselves accurately. Measuring one's body proportions accurately is complex and a quick step guide video is no substitute for a trained tailor wielding a tape measure. Also, this computer database, generated standard size thing that indochino does, along with outsourcing to cheap factory laborers in china, a product that is not quite custom made, yet not completely standard doesn't seem to work well, and in the long run, isn't efficient. I just don't see the results.

Indochino is a failure and its business model seems to be based on an application of customer trial and error, hit or miss....a random roll of the dice.

I don't care how good their customer service is. If their business model produces a bad product, then there's no point. Indochino's short cut to a decent quality, better than OTC fitting suit fails. In the end, you still get what you pay for. I suggest you guys return your suits and get refunds.

Indochino is a big disappointment, plain and simple.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trit
unsuitable.jpg

So, pleasant company to deal with but, in my case, the product is downright embarrassing.

Wow! That looks beyond terrible. So sorry!

I think the only person who vouches for Indo is LorenzXL. Then again, he's clearly advocating for them on his blog so he is def. biased. Say what you want but read between the lines and you'll know what I mean.

GL fellas, hopefully your suits turn out "decent"
confused.gif

Acer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Octoberfile
Acer, your suit reminds me of a really beautifull red head that has her back turned to you, but when you approach her up close, she ends up having this big huge, hairy mole on her face, a huge gap between her teeth, and her voice is super high-pitched and annoying.....basically, your suit fits well in most areas, but the flaws in a few other areas are just too major, not to mention, unusual, wierd and...almost bizarre. I don't think a tailor could salvage the jacket appropriately. I think that, in the end, alterations would be like placing a band aid on a broken arm.....and the alterations needed in order to make the jacket wearable would not be minor.

Thanks for the honest critique--my feelings aren't hurt, I didn't make the suit! I think I'm going to take it to an alterations shop tomorrow to see what they say--if they say they can't get rid of those neck rumples (the biggest problem imo), then I guess I'll apply for a remake.

I just tried the pants on again as well -- there's something seriously wrong with the seat. If I take a few steps and stop, the seat settles into a natural wedgie. I think it needs more of a drop, and a little more slack in the upper thigh.

LorenzL

Reaction score
I'm saying it works for me! All I'm saying it's worth a try if you have the time and patience. All you can lose are the 30 bucks or whatever it costs to send the suit back and get a full refund.

Some of those suits posted here clearly look awful and I have no idea what is going on with their ridiculous waist suppression these days! Seriously, I'm not some brainless moron and I proud myself of being very critical if there is a reason - and there clearly is if I look at some of the pics that have recently been posted here. If one of my suits had looked like that, I would have sent it back right away and never even thought of ordering again or going though the hassle of a remake...

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mine turned out okay, after 1 remake.

but i'll be sticking to well known brands from now on.
MC B&S is great.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trit
Well, let me get to the good before the bad. Firstly their customer service was very nice and even though I was a day past the limit for returns they accepted my return without any hassle. That said, my suit was easily the worst fit of any of you guys. I used the same measurements I use at ModernTailor which always gives a good shirt fit but they sort of imploded here. Sleeves too long and wide, pants skin tight, shoulders too wide. But the kicker is the the jacket fit. I've never seen anything like it; it appears that I'm wearing a corset and makes it look like my hips are as wide as my shoulders. In the measurements there's a seven inch drop from chest to waist but this is a crazy way to handle it. No tailor could think this would fit anyone.
unsuitable.jpg
So, pleasant company to deal with but, in my case, the product is downright embarrassing.

One thing hasn't been mentioned here - you used the measurements from ModernTailor, that was a mistake in my opinion. It is always best if you measure exactly like suggested and their might be differences between the two? Anyway, I don't understand how they could ship this suit with so much waist suppression - they should have noticed it cannot be ok like this, shouldn't they?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
One thing hasn't been mentioned here - you used the measurements from ModernTailor, that was a mistake in my opinion. It is always best if you measure exactly like suggested and their might be differences between the two? Anyway, I don't understand how they could ship this suit with so much waist suppression - they should have noticed it cannot be ok like this, shouldn't they?

I agree with this. I feel like most of the horrible mistakes from Indochino have been due to customer measurements. Of course, Indochino is partly at fault for letting this particular beast out of their quality control gates. Once you dial it in, Indochino should be a decent option for suiting.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I agree with this. I feel like most of the horrible mistakes from Indochino have been due to customer measurements. Of course, Indochino is partly at fault for letting this particular beast out of their quality control gates. Once you dial it in, Indochino should be a decent option for suiting.

I think part of the problem with the measurements is the way Indochino set up that process on their end. They should just let the customer decide the exact measurements that they want on their completed garment - if you already own a jacket that you like and you want the Indochino jacket to match it, you can't just measure your own jacket and enter those measurements. They way it's set up now doesn't really make any sense from an MTM perspective, because Indochino will just plug these body measurements into some formula and build what they think is a proper-fitting suit for that person.

I guess if you take the time to find that "sweet spot" with your measurements, then it can be a good option, but how many remakes will that take? I'd rather just find some place that can get it done right the first time. I only tried Indochino because I received the Groupon as a gift and I figured it couldn't hurt to take a chance. I'm waiting for my remake now, and if it looks good I might use them again. If not, I'll be requesting a refund.

jimmystewart

Reaction score
I agree that taking fresh measurements exactly the way they specify seems to help (at least in my case). I just had a tailor check the tux and the only thing he wanted to change was to let the pant legs down 3/4". I asked him a couple times about the jacket and he said everything looked fined. (For comparison, I also brought in an OTR 38L "modern fit" suit that he said would need to be taken in at the waist a few inches.) Given the recent trials and tribulations most have had here, this seems like a great first result, so I'm naturally skeptical.
smile.gif
I'll take it to at least one other tailor for a second opinion...

Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
The more suits I see from Indochino, the more I'm starting to dislike them, and I'm feeling less hopeful that my remake will come out OK. I really don't like the shoulders on just about every suit I've seen. I guess they usually use roped shoulders, but many times it just looks like the top of the sleeve is jutting out straight up were the sleeve meets the shoulder. If everything else comes out better on my remake, maybe I could have my tailor fix this for me.

Beatlegeuse, I've heard shoulder construction has been lacking in the past with indochino, but from my (again, untrained) eye, it's been improving. How much the sleeves appear to jut up is also a function of the amount of padding, no? In my case, I went for traditional padding (which is definitely more than 'natural') since it was a tux. It doesn't appear too over the top from others I've seen... http://totakethetrain.wordpress.com/...oscars-tuxedo/
But, again, I'm new to all of this, so your insight is much appreciated.
smile.gif

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmystewart
Beatlegeuse, I've heard shoulder construction has been lacking in the past with indochino, but from my (again, untrained) eye, it's been improving. How much the sleeves appear to jut up is also a function of the amount of padding, no? In my case, I went for traditional padding (which is definitely more than 'natural') since it was a tux. It doesn't appear too over the top from others I've seen... http://totakethetrain.wordpress.com/...oscars-tuxedo/
But, again, I'm new to all of this, so your insight is much appreciated.
smile.gif

I'm definitely no expert either, so don't take my word as gospel, but the thing I don't like about Indochino's shoulders is that they are "roped", which doesn't have anything to do with the padding - http://www.ravistailor.com/contact.php?question=224

I selected a natural shoulder for my jacket, but the shoulders are still roped, so it looks weird that it hangs naturally on my shoulders with minimal padding, but then the top of the sleeve juts out above the line where it meets the shoulder.

Acer

Reaction score
Just dropped the suit off at a tailor--

she said she's going to:
let the hem down on the pants a bit, and angle the hem
let the pants out in the crotch and upper thigh
let the vest out in the sides
let the jacket out in the waist / chest / back
if letting the jacket out in the back doesn't work (she's going to call me when that's done), she can open up the collar seam and take the extra fabric in there.

Probably going to run around 80-100 dollars in all. I'll post some pics once it's all done

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads