• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino Suit - Fit Check

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
I am very new to wearing suits. I've been very interested and have been doing research lately, most of which AFTER I purchased this suit. I have since read the Indochino horror stories posted here, but in the beginning I saw some youtubers post very positive reviews.

Before I get completely crapped on, I did not pay full price from this suit. Being an inexperienced newbie, I took some of my measurements myself and found this suit on ebay - which I made a ridiculously low offer on and won. For $75, if it's a bust - oh well.

I know the sleeves are short, and I believed the jacket was much too long to the point of being unwearable but a redditor said that it was a bit long but not a huge issue because of my insanely long arms (I'm 5'11" and my wingspan is 6'5" lol)

With the creasing around the midsection of my back Im wondering if the jacket is a bit too tight as well.

I know this may never look amazing, but for my first suit can a tailor make adjustments that will make it at least presentable? Any and all opinions and feedback are appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 87001AC0-59AB-41AD-9FC4-920DD84FD740.jpeg
    87001AC0-59AB-41AD-9FC4-920DD84FD740.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 07A6A666-8B3D-4CC5-BF8A-BACFE4D5A07E.jpeg
    07A6A666-8B3D-4CC5-BF8A-BACFE4D5A07E.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 18082AA7-E588-42EA-8E6B-D64E25BFC1A4.jpeg
    18082AA7-E588-42EA-8E6B-D64E25BFC1A4.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 387

aj805

Reaction score
Welcome.

I don't know if your arms appear all that long for your frame, or it's just that you have a relatively short torso. As for the jacket length, typically it should fall somewhere on your thumbs, which this does.

It's difficult to say whether a tailor might "save" this suit for you--my impression is that there is probably not enough material left in the seams to allow for significant enough adjustments in your case. The sleeves need to come out quite a bit, and the back of that jacket seems to need a whole bunch of work.

If this thing would be worn just on the rare occasion, it may be passable--but that would be for a tailor you have access to to determine. If you needed something to wear regularly, I would be looking for something else. If there is a thrift shop or mens store nearby to try some things on to learn your best size in things, then you can shop for those online or wherever.

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
It’s too short and too tight.
The jacket is too short? It's an inch past where my butt ends, and about two inches past the fork of the trousers.. How much longer do you think it should be? I agree it's too tight. Thanks

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
Welcome.

I don't know if your arms appear all that long for your frame, or it's just that you have a relatively short torso. As for the jacket length, typically it should fall somewhere on your thumbs, which this does.

It's difficult to say whether a tailor might "save" this suit for you--my impression is that there is probably not enough material left in the seams to allow for significant enough adjustments in your case. The sleeves need to come out quite a bit, and the back of that jacket seems to need a whole bunch of work.

If this thing would be worn just on the rare occasion, it may be passable--but that would be for a tailor you have access to to determine. If you needed something to wear regularly, I would be looking for something else. If there is a thrift shop or mens store nearby to try some things on to learn your best size in things, then you can shop for those online or wherever.
Hi Aj, thanks for your input. I do have long arms and legs, with a pretty small torso. I'm glad to hear the length is ok. For the sleeves, I'm hoping they can be let out an inch. As for the back, I guess the tailor can have a look to see if enough fabric can be let out to get something closer to a decent fit. I would only be wearing this once a month or so.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The body length should just cover your backside, so that's fine. A bigger problem is the sleeve, which should certainly be lengthened.

You seem slim, so a slim suit overall isn't bad, but this one is buckling in the back and far too tight in the waist. There should be a bit of hollowness to the back when viewed from the side, and a visible waist apparent from the back, but this is too much.

The sleeve pitch also seems to be made for someone with a worse posture, which is what's causing the back of the arm area near the shoulder to wrinkle. There's little that can be done about this.

It is a mass-made suit, however, so don't spend too much money trying to get it altered.

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
The body length should just cover your backside, so that's fine. A bigger problem is the sleeve, which should certainly be lengthened.

You seem slim, so a slim suit overall isn't bad, but this one is buckling in the back and far too tight in the waist. There should be a bit of hollowness to the back when viewed from the side, and a visible waist apparent from the back, but this is too much.

The sleeve pitch also seems to be made for someone with a worse posture, which is what's causing the back of the arm area near the shoulder to wrinkle. There's little that can be done about this.

It is a mass-made suit, however, so don't spend too much money trying to get it altered.
I can definitely see what you mention about the sleeve pitch. I will see if I can get the sleeves to a correct length and add some room to the back and waist to fix the issues mentioned. Thanks for your feedback Nobilis!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is too short? It's an inch past where my butt ends, and about two inches past the fork of the trousers.. How much longer do you think it should be? I agree it's too tight. Thanks

if the vent were opened and the suppression at the waist adjusted, it might drape better and I’d say otherwise.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have a certain budget for this garment? Meaning, as a total expense -- suit and alterations -- how much are you willing to spend?

The market has improved greatly for affordable ready-to-wear tailoring. I think if you poured a lot of money into alterations on this, it would still be a mediocre looking suit, as the trousers are too slim and the lapels narrow. It feels like it needs a lot of work and has some limitations in terms of style.

You can get a decent suit nowadays for a few hundred bucks through Spier & Mackay. I can't remember prices, but it's between $300 and $500, I think. Imagine if you poured $250 into alterations on this thing, you can just get a better fit off-the-rack from them for the same money.

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
Do you have a certain budget for this garment? Meaning, as a total expense -- suit and alterations -- how much are you willing to spend?

The market has improved greatly for affordable ready-to-wear tailoring. I think if you poured a lot of money into alterations on this, it would still be a mediocre looking suit, as the trousers are too slim and the lapels narrow. It feels like it needs a lot of work and has some limitations in terms of style.

You can get a decent suit nowadays for a few hundred bucks through Spier & Mackay. I can't remember prices, but it's between $300 and $500, I think. Imagine if you poured $250 into alterations on this thing, you can just get a better fit off-the-rack from them for the same money.
I've checked out the website of Spier & Mackay, and I keep getting "no products found" when I click on the suit section. They do seems to be highly regarded on this forum and I will definitely check them out in the near future. For now, I am on a budget and if I can get this suit to look at least presentable for now I will try, and a tailor evaluated and agreed with the problems people listed here and has started some work on the jacket at ~$80 so far. With how little I paid for the garments I'll see where it gets me. I may regret it, but this was definitely a learning experience for me. I can see what you mean about the slim pants and narrow lapels. Thanks for your advice.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
The biggest problem is that it's too tight. Anytime you see the fabric not hanging neatly, that indicates a potential fit problem (not always, and not necessarily a huge problem). The fabric on your mid to lower back is very messy. This is because the jacket is too tight. The cheapest way to fix this is to unbutton the jacket.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
I've checked out the website of Spier & Mackay, and I keep getting "no products found" when I click on the suit section. They do seems to be highly regarded on this forum and I will definitely check them out in the near future. For now, I am on a budget and if I can get this suit to look at least presentable for now I will try, and a tailor evaluated and agreed with the problems people listed here and has started some work on the jacket at ~$80 so far. With how little I paid for the garments I'll see where it gets me. I may regret it, but this was definitely a learning experience for me. I can see what you mean about the slim pants and narrow lapels. Thanks for your advice.

Regarding "no products found" ...this very likely means they are doing inventory and are about to have a major clearance sale on their suits. (They just did the same thing with sport coats and trousers, where in both cases there was no product available and then the big clearance sale went live). So keep checking S&M's site ....it could be perfect timing for you to get an amazing price on a great looking S&M suit.

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
Regarding "no products found" ...this very likely means they are doing inventory and are about to have a major clearance sale on their suits. (They just did the same thing with sport coats and trousers, where in both cases there was no product available and then the big clearance sale went live). So keep checking S&M's site ....it could be perfect timing for you to get an amazing price on a great looking S&M suit.
Awesome to hear! I'll be checking the site daily. I did see some sport coats at very attractive prices, ~$250

kaizo

Reaction score
The sleeves may be half an inch short to my eyes. To some degree showing a bold amount of shirt sleeve is fashion however. I actually like showing 1/4 inch (my tailor prefers 1/8 inch) but I wouldn't go much further than that.

When you budget for your next suit I would recommend putting aside about US$50-75 for alterations.

It's always better to buy a slightly cheaper suit and alter it to your size than buying a slightly more expensive suit that doesn't fit optimally.

That US$50-77 can even make a $200 suit look like a £1000+ suit in the hands of a good tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads