• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino critique for newbie

MUNner

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for popping into my thread. Please tell me what I should do with my suit, and ignore my shoes
bigstar[1].gif

My intuition tells me the jacket is too short, and my crotch is telling me the pants are too tight
frown.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like the suit is defying your gravity...

at a glance... jacket is too short, like 2+ inches maybe, plus it's throwing off the button stance (way too high). pants are way too narrow for my taste, even for a "fashion forward" suit.

otherwise looks ok.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not rotating my monitor, don't even ask.

MUNner

Reaction score
Sorry! fixed. I've since been to a tailor. I'm skeptical, but he says all that needs to be done is the "center line" for about $45

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but this suit is all kinds of wrong... I don't even know where to start...

The button stance is too high. The back needs cleaning up. The silhouette needs work; right now it's too boxy on you. Pants need to be slimmed down at the ankles. I'm not sure I'd even want to invest so much money into tailoring a suit with such a high button stance. What are your options? Can you return it or must you keep it?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP; what are your opinions on the suit having viewed the pics (as opposed to your earlier 'feel' thoughts) – I'd be interested to hear...

MUNner

Reaction score
My understanding is Indochino gives up to $75 for alterations or a remake. If I go the remake route then I just send them the pictures and say the button is too high?
Originally Posted by Kentishman
To the OP; what are your opinions on the suit having viewed the pics (as opposed to your earlier 'feel' thoughts) – I'd be interested to hear...
I think the jacket needs to cover my rear more. The tailor I went to said the jacket length is perfect according to my proportions, something about where it hits the pocket. I dunno.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I like the pants.

+1 I thought the trews looked okay too, to be honest.

MUNner

Reaction score
I'm comparing the pics of the suit on their site and the button height looks about the same to my untrained eye. But when I look at my picture, it does look a little odd. I'm still not able to communicate what's wrong to Indochino.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousers aren't bad, but hang too far back above the shoes (maybe it's the shoes, though) and are too stiff because of inside turn-ups. You can actually see how much material was left inside after hemming. So, I'd taper them a bit and also cut a bunch of material off and re-hem them.
Originally Posted by MUNner
I'm comparing the pics of the suit on their site and the button height looks about the same to my untrained eye. But when I look at my picture, it does look a little odd. I'm still not able to communicate what's wrong to Indochino.
The button should be at or below your natural waist. Right now, the bottom button is closer to it than the top one.

MUNner

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked out some pictures of their suits and the top button appears to be in the same spot. But my newbie assessment is that it does look odd.

Johnny24

Reaction score
I am no tailor but that suit does look off to me. The button stance seems oddly high, almost as if it were a 3 button jacket that they forgot to sew a third button on to.

I am not sure about tapering the pants but I would someone take them up a bit in the back. My suggestion to you is go to a place that sells nice suits OTR and try one one so you can get an idea of how a correct suit should look. Nordstrom usually has Hickey Freeman or Canali stuff OTR, and other finer stores have other brands as well, snap a pic or two then compare it to your existing pics, it might help with the fixes you want to have done when you get a remake (which is what you should do). I would also ask them to leave the pants unfinished and just have that done by your guy....The results will be better and cleaner.

If you want a more slim cut OTR that will be closer to what you would have done after alterations to other suits ask for a Hugo Boss Jam/Sharp suit in your size at Nordstrom for the try on/photo suggestion. These are their more slim cut in the current line and close example to what I think you are shooting for here via Indochino.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads