• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

indie music!

Piroshky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
Indie as a style is a direct descendent of punk. It was kids having seen the punk bands playing, picking up on the DIY attitude and then trying to sound like the Byrds and the Beach Boys that spawned indie.
Wouldn't indie then be a descendent of surf/psychedelia-pop genre tree? [for argument's sake, assuming your statement is true]. I don't think it's all that cut and dry, there's really no direct, singular lineage within genres of music, unless we're talking revivalism.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
People who get all bent out of shape about what is/isn't (insert genre here) are ridiculous.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piroshky
Wouldn't indie then be a descendent of surf/psychedelia-pop genre tree? [for argument's sake, assuming your statement is true]. I don't think it's all that cut and dry, there's really no direct, singular lineage within genres of music, unless we're talking revivalism.
Indirectly - a lot of those psychadelic and garage bands influenced the stooges / New York Dolls and Ramones who influenced the British punk bands which led to the post punk and nascent 'indie' genre.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
People who get all bent out of shape about what is/isn't (insert genre here) are ridiculous.
Worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd up.

8377-300c.jpg
wolf_parade_apologies_to_queen_mary.jpg

iso-A35680-1179824489.jpg
blackfoliage.jpg

grouper

Reaction score
pavement sucks

sunset rubdown sucks

wolf parade sucks

dirty projectors sucks

indie sucks

grouper

Reaction score
My experience with indie rock is that it's just as disposable as whatever crap is on mainstream radio, but it's just a little bit weirder. The fact that it's "different" than "mainstream music" leads people who are fans of indie music to believe they have better faculties to appreciate music than mainstreamers, which leads to an air of smugness when they talk about music.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pavement has always sucked.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A classic:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

phildo

Reaction score
Boring music for boring (and pretentious) people. Although I do like some bands that might be considered indie rock, but are either on the more noise or electronic side of things.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
pavement has always sucked.
There have always been people who have hated Pavement and (for some reason) feel they need to be mean about it. It doesn't bother me, and I don't try to defend the band. You'll like what you'll like. I guess I can agree that the term 'indie' when people mean 'this band dresses ******, have beat up instruments, cool hair, and like I totally relate to them' is ridiculous. I guess what happened is a bunch of bands from independent labels started to stop sounding mainstream and people thought it deserved a new genre. Rock n' roll is always rock n' roll to me. If it's in 4/4 and as a backbeat, chances are it's probably still rock music. And I hate the term 'indie darlings'.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah, i concur with what you are saying and probably about 50% of what i listen to is lumped into indie (the stills, luna, the national, guided by voices, etc.) I have just never liked pavement's sound.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phildo
Boring music for boring (and pretentious) people. Although I do like some bands that might be considered indie rock, but are either on the more noise or electronic side of things.

Hey BRO SI JSUT WASTE tO SAY HOW MUCH I LuvE YOUR AVATAER!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics