• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones trilogy on DVD

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Is it worth buying? Seen mixed reviews.

I've heard the transfer is pretty dark. Didn't they clean up the film a whole lot like they did for Star Wars on DVD, though? I also heard they made a few Star Wars Special Edition-esque changes here and there. Sound quality? Extra features? Opinions would be helpful.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Extra features include an hour-long documentary on each movie. Picture is fine, nothing to write home to mom about. I didn't notice any changes to scenes.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Extra features include an hour-long documentary on each movie. Picture is fine, nothing to write home to mom about. I didn't notice any changes to scenes.

...except that Han shoots first.

laugh.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Well, I've heard some things here and there about the scenes. Supposedly they fixed a revealing mistake where the cobra who rears up on Indy shows a reflection in the glass put between them on the actual set. Also, they replaced some German dialogue since it was, in fact, Americans speaking German badly.

wallateer

Reaction score
I didn't notice any changes myself, though I don't speak, so I guess I wouldn't. Picture quality is sub-par, but it's worth having it for the movies. Maybe they'll do a better remaster for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in a year or two. I dunno.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Well, I've heard some things here and there about the scenes. Supposedly they fixed a revealing mistake where the cobra who rears up on Indy shows a reflection in the glass put between them on the actual set. Also, they replaced some German dialogue since it was, in fact, Americans speaking German badly.

That stuff doesn't bother me at all. It's like the difference in fixing the matt lines around the TIE Fighters (fine) and making it so that Greedo shoots first (abomination).

Personally, I'd love it if they could do something about the spider scene in Dr. No. It's badly done to the point of being distracting.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Uh, how so? I didn't notice anything detracting to it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Uh, how so? I didn't notice anything detracting to it.

At one point, there's clearly a plate of glass between Connery's arm and the spider. (I hope I'm remembering this correctly; I haven't seen it in a while and can't find my DVD. But it stands out as my most vivid memory of the film.)

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Oh. I never noticed that the two times I saw it.

It's kind of funny that both these movie series have a revealing mistake having to do with glass and creatures. Connery is in the last Indiana Jones, and Indiana Jones was imagined as a sort of 1930's James Bond.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads