1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Indian Mace Training

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JLibourel, Mar 13, 2019.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

Does anyone else here use the Indian "gada" mace as a training tool? I purchased a 10- and a 15-pounder from Onnit during their most recent Black Friday sale. I am incorporating the former in my workouts almost every other day. The heavier one I still find rather too ponderous, and it remains aspirational. (And if these poundages sound puny, don't mock them until you've tried them!) I think they are at their best used in the traditional Indian manner--swinging the mace overhead behind your back. These exercises (known to the cognoscenti and "360s" and "10-2s") I find challenging and beneficial. There are various other exercises with flashy names like "barbarian squat," "spear thrust" (aka "jousts"), "grave diggers," "uppercuts" and whatnot, but I haven't been very impressed. Perhaps with higher repetitions and heavier maces they come into their own, but I remain skeptical. Maces can be used for tire-bashing like a sledgehammer, but I find I still prefer the sledgehammer.

Anyway, if anybody here would like to share their experiences and impressions of mace training, I'd be interested.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019