• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Indian HK tailor shootout

Lino

Reaction score
(crosspost from AAAC"”perhaps it will do better here)

In the world of lower cost options (about $1500 for 3 suites in super 90s and $1599 for Super 100s ) for custom tailored clothing there are the Indian HK tailors. Some are US based, some HK based and all do their tailoring in HK. I know individually they have all been talked about, but I do not think they have been discussed as a group.

They are:
- Mohan Tailor in NYC www.mohantailors.com
-*La Rukico / Hong Kong Custom Tailors in NYC www.hongkongcustomtailor.com
- Hemrajani / MyTailor.com
- MyCustomTailor.com (though they are actually in Bangkok)
- (?) Pierre Mohan in Beaverton, OR www.pierremohan.com
-*Fletcher Jones in HK (arcade (Mirador) on Nathan Road)
- Gary Tailor / garytailor.com
- Sam's Tailor in HK http://www.samstailor.com/
- Others?

Focusing only on Indian HK tailors:
- Are they MTM or bespoke"”or someplace in the middle?
- Is the quality and details of workmanship of the clothing acceptable or do you get what you pay for?
- Where does the styling and details fall?
- How about fit?
- How is the fabric offering?

And of course:
- Who's the best? (or, put another way, which are worth using and which are not?)

Note: I'd also like to focus this on the tailors doing the measuring (no self-measuring).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I can only talk about the first three.

-They are MTM, but I would qualify it is the bottom rung of MTM.
-Well, those that are customers/don't know better obviously think that the quality, details workmanship are worth it. Personally, I don't think they are worth half what they charge but keep in mind that I am a seasoned ebay, big sales shopper

-Fit is what you would expect when someone measures you and sends the measurements and a pic a couple of thousand miles away to have the garment made.
-Fabric offering is good and relatively inexpensive (holland and sherry, scabal, piana, etc). I have heard rumors that some of the higher end offerings from them are of questionable provenance but I've never seen any real evidence to back this up.
-Of those three, Mohan's tailor is the worse in terms of making a stylish suit. Expect a wool box with two arms.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Re: Pierre Mohan (OR)

I dealt with him when he was repping for another tailor (that name escapes me at the moment). He was a dour, unfriendly fellow who seemed to dislike his job, life, and/or me and my finished suit generally reflected this.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
Re: Pierre Mohan (OR)

I dealt with him when he was repping for another tailor (that name escapes me at the moment). He was a dour, unfriendly fellow who seemed to dislike his job, life, and/or me and my finished suit generally reflected this.

I had to chuckle at your post. I think is was Chris Rimsby that reported in a post of his first meeting and fitting with Thomas Mahon. He reported how delightful it was and how much Thomas Mahon seemed to enjoy what he was doing.

What a difference a letter makes!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Of course, there are tons more of these Indian tailors in Hongkong, and in Singapore. There are certain areas where you'd come up with rows and rows of these shops, all with their reps on the street offering you in a very agressive manner their services.

Reaction score
yup, they drive you nuts. It's worse than Thailand.

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Of course, there are tons more of these Indian tailors in Hongkong, and in Singapore. There are certain areas where you'd come up with rows and rows of these shops, all with their reps on the street offering you in a very agressive manner their services.

I agree. The tailor I've used, New Famous Fashions (sic!) was selected because it was the one outfit that didn't have an agressive marketeer out in the street. They're in Mirador Mansion in Carnavaron Rd in Tsim Sha Tsui, and the owners are actually pakistani, not indian.

Look around the forum for my posts to expose their workmanship. I was in HK for the suits and the first shirts, but I measured a friend for shirts and e-mailed, and those shirts turned out fine too.

mateja

Reaction score
i saw someone say its worse then thailand..Have you been to the beaches in thailand! its insane! try going to phuket being a foreigner.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mateja
i saw someone say its worse then thailand..Have you been to the beaches in thailand! its insane! try going to phuket being a foreigner.
well, i don't think it's suits they're offering to foreigners in pukhet.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mateja
maybe 18-20 times to Thailand. Phuket I think 4. Throw in one time in Krabi too - its just a couple hours around the coast. If memory serves, I was a foriegner on all of those trips. Now try walking around Tsim Sha Tsui for an hour. Hover somewhere around the Sheraton....

mateja

Reaction score
lol, if i couldnt stand phuket, forget anywhere else.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by [email protected]
maybe 18-20 times to Thailand. Phuket I think 4. Throw in one time in Krabi too - its just a couple hours around the coast.

If memory serves, I was a foriegner on all of those trips.

Now try walking around Tsim Sha Tsui for an hour. Hover somewhere around the Sheraton....

hehe
try my trick ask for a copy casio or timex or just but ear phone in

TyskJohan

Reaction score
The one thing that will stop them is actually wearing a fake watch on each wrist and carrying a large shopping bag from a tailor's...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40