• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indian bespoke tailoring

phenom

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be going to Chennai, India for medical school, starting this summer. I was born and raised in the US but I am of Indian descent.

I wanted to get some bespoke suits done by Syed Bawkher in Chennai, I heard some really good things about him.

A previous forum member who is no longer active on this forum visited him with raving reviews. The links, courtesy of Google's cache,

Indian bespoke experience (incredibly detailed and very interesting):
(Page 1) http://shortlink.co.uk/8i8
(Page 2) http://shortlink.co.uk/8i9

I will be in Chennai for 4.5 years with intermittent visits back to the States, so I will definetely have time to form a good relationship with him.

Couple questions for you guys:
1) Since it seems India sets high tarriffs for fabric, it might be more cost effective for me to bring fabric from the States. What is the best place for me to go and pick out items for this type of thing? Are there any fabrics you guys can recommend or books where I can learn about this type of stuff?

I have been reading "Style and the Man" by Flusser, but that doesn't seems to go into detail about fabrics. It is good for building up my basic knowledge about tailoring though.

2) What type of questions should I ask him in particular?

Thank you guys so much and take care.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
FYI, I contacted Bawkher about pricing for shirts a few weeks ago and was very surprised when they quoted me a base price of $100/shirt. By Indian standards that's outrageous. I had shirts made in Hyderabad a year ago for a base of around $15 (including fabric), although I would be willing to pay more for better quality. It better be a nice shirt for $100.

I will say, though, that both times I have sought internet quotes for pricing in India I have been quoted what I thought were outrageous prices. I wonder if that's the special 'American email price' that I'm getting.

Take a look at Bawkher, but I would recommend exploring other options, too. It sounds like you'll have time to do it. Oh, and I'd appreciate you letting me know what you find out!
smile.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bringing your own fabrics is generally a good idea, but particular recommendations for fabric sources would depend on where you live in the US.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might consider using Indian fabrics. I've read in these fora they're not bad at all for the money, and you would certainly save a bundle whatever tailor you decide on using.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
indian fabrics are ok, espetially shirts, and the wools aren't bad, but you can get much better quality at better prices if you bring your own.

have you spent time in india? keep in mind that the best way will be to develop a good relationship with the tailor and shirtmaker that you work with, and that the nature of the relationship will be different from what you might have with a vendor in the west.

kcheng

Reaction score
I wonder if the Bawkher in India is in any way the same shop as Bawkers in Singapore?

operationexpat

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm researching some leads on tailors (and pearls, AlanC
wink.gif
) here in Hyderabad. I'll be sure to post anything worth mentioning.

...mid-June cannot come soon enough--this heat is killing me--bring on the monsoon!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by operationexpat
For what it's worth, I'm researching some leads on tailors (and pearls, AlanC
wink.gif
) here in Hyderabad. I'll be sure to post anything worth mentioning.

...mid-June cannot come soon enough--this heat is killing me--bring on the monsoon!

thumbs-up.gif

Have you visited Meena Bazaar yet? The fabric selection is pretty impressive there.

And thanks on the pearls, too.

It was a year ago that I was in Hyderabad and it was about 108 degrees Fahrenheit every day. On the bright side, it is mango season now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads