Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Index funds

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

What are the "Best" index funds out there? I always hear about Vanguard's S&P 500 fund. Is that kind of the gold standard?

I need to find one with low and/or no minimum investment fees as I'll be selling about $4K worth of stock in order to invest in a fund.

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

conne, with your income potential stick to s&p, little risk

3. maverick

maverick Senior member

Your broker might have some funds that are no-fee to get in / out. But check the management fee levels. You might be best off with the ETF... SPY

4. enjoiii

enjoiii Senior member

What are the "Best" index funds out there? I always hear about Vanguard's S&P 500 fund. Is that kind of the gold standard?

I need to find one with low and/or no minimum investment fees as I'll be selling about $4K worth of stock in order to invest in a fund.

I could have sworn you said in another thread that you were starting to pay off your credit card debt.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i lol'd. thanks.

Your broker might have some funds that are no-fee to get in / out. But check the management fee levels. You might be best off with the ETF... SPY

6. Connemara

I could have sworn you said in another thread that you were starting to pay off your credit card debt.
    Yes, I am. These are funds I already have in the market but they are not exactly diversified...the entirety of that sum is in Wells Fargo stock. And I do in fact have a broke Kunk so bite me. [​IMG]

7. enjoiii

enjoiii Senior member

Yes, I am. These are funds I already have in the market but they are not exactly diversified...the entirety of that sum is in Wells Fargo stock.

And I do in fact have a broke Kunk so bite me. [​IMG]

Why would you buy stocks when you have credit card debt you are paying 20%+ interest on? There is no way you will get that kind of return with any index funds. Pay off all your credit card debt before you invest.

8. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Why would you buy stocks when you have credit card debt you are paying 20%+ interest on? There is no way you will get that kind of return with any index funds. Pay off all your credit card debt before you invest.

+1. It's basically an investment returning money in the opposite direction, which, obviously, is worse than converting all your assets to cash and burying it in your backyard. If you're thinking of getting out of your wells fargo stock, it makes every bit of sense to use the proceeds from that to wipe this balance off before you start investing in something else.

9. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Are you serious? What a failure.

10. Valor

Valor Senior member

He's kind of right...dunno what you're talking about.

11. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

It's like all of a sudden all of the people who can't do math invaded this sub-forum.

12. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

+0

13. Connemara

I just initiated a balance transfer to a 0% APR card, so no I'm not paying 20%. The card can be paid off in around 6 months. It doesn't make sense to pull money out of a long-term investment to fix a problem that can be solved in a short time.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

While I agree with your sentiment I disagree with your unqualified statement. DTSGX has netted me about 40-45% since last year. Yeah, I know I totally got lucky on that, and have already sold half of what I initially put in as I'm getting nervous, but an index fund can kick some major ass.

15. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

While I agree with your sentiment I disagree with your unqualified statement. DTSGX has netted me about 40-45% since last year. Yeah, I know I totally got lucky on that, and have already sold half of what I initially put in as I'm getting nervous, but an index fund can kick some major ass.

Sure, but the 20% is GUARANTEED money in the case that was being discussed. And you don't get that in the markets...ever.