Indentation on leather

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ascot Everyday, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Ascot Everyday

Ascot Everyday Member

Dear all,

I've been browsing these forums for a while, the information and knowledge here is incredible.

Now I've encountered a bit of a problem and would like to ask for some help from the experts.

I've recently acquired a pair of Westons while I was in Paris, they are very nice IMO, so I wanted to give them the shine they deserve. While wiping it my hands slipped and the shoe went flying, striking the edge of the table with its side. This left a vertical indentation in the leather, about 3 inches long.

The mark is barely visible to the naked eye, but I know it's there and it's driving me nuts. Is there any way to save me from a sleepless night?

Thank you in advance,

[​IMG]

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you know a “proper” shoemaker (not the “Mister Minit” round the corner), he should be able to polish it out with a heel iron:

http://handmadeshoes.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/dsc_0052.jpg

The tool gets heated over a flame and then rubbed across the leather and, hopefully, the dent will disappear.

If you don't know anyone, your best bet would be to ask the manufacturer (in your case J M Weston).

3. Ascot Everyday

Ascot Everyday Member

Thanks bengal-stripe, luckily there is a J M Weston in my area, I will bring them in tomorrow... I just don't want them to keep the shoes for 3 months...

I'll also ask my shoemaker, he seems pretty good and helped me repair a few soles before...

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

If things don't work out and you really can't live with it, and they are a size 10.5 - 11 , just pop them in the mail to me and I will suffer this burden for you. :) In other words, why let this bother you? No shoe is ever going to look fresh out of the box for long. Embrace it as a mark of character. I'm sure it will provide for an amusing story whilst enjoying a brandy with the boys.

5. Ascot Everyday

Ascot Everyday Member

Thanks for the advice Man of Lint, I know that it probably won't bother me after a while, but since these are spanking new (I almost slid across the room Risky Business style with them this morning) it's just an eyesore.

You know, it's like the new iPhone, the first time you drop it you scream and look at the dent for hours... a few months in you scroll through that cracked screen as if nothing :)

6. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

tell me about these stories you share when sitting around having brandy with the boys...............