• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incotex vs Howard Yount vs Epaulet

iatrogenic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here getting ready to start building a wardrobe for a new job (finally finishing up medical residency this summer!). I need to add to my collection of dress pants and need some recommendations. I really trust this board's opinion. I recently bought a pair of incotex on the B/S forum and they are great. However, finding them on ebay or B/S in stable color and in my size (32-33) is difficult. How is quality and fit of HY and Epaulet compared to incotex? HY vs Epaulet? Basically, I am trying to decide whether I should just wait and "collect" incotex pants as they come up or order form HY or Epaulet. I am 6"2' 165 lbs and tend to like a relatively slim but comfortable fit.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

cturner

Reaction score
Since you're in NY head down to Epaulet and try some for yourself.

I own exclusively Howard Yount and Epaulet, so cannot comment on fit vs Incotex, but my build is similar to yours and I am very happy with all my EP Walts in size 32 or 33. HY and EP are actually quite similar with respect to fit and quality, both being excellent. With respect to slimness, I find Yount trousers fall somewhere between a Walt and Rudy. Overall I give the edge to Epaulet for 1) selection 2) local NY stores and 3) amazing customer service here on the boards and in store.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jamison at HY offers fantastic service and is located in NY. Why don't you try pants from each brand and see which you prefer? A third option, more expensive than HY and Epaulet but less expensive than Incotex at retail, would be Panta.

Waiting for Incotex at a decent price can be slow.

iatrogenic

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I will check out the epaulet store. Does Howard Yount have a shop in NYC?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the advice. I will check out the epaulet store. Does Howard Yount have a shop in NYC?

HY is primarily web-based at the moment, but Jamison (the proprieter, and long-time SF member) is opening a showroom. I'm not sure quite when that will happen, however, but I know that it is in the works.

From memory, he has said that people who are interested in trying stuff on who are in NYC can send him a message via the forum so as to arrange a suitable time to meet up to try things on. Jamison's username is chorse123.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have all three. You can't go wrong with any of them but my preference is
Epaulet, incotex Howard Yount.
Mike and Adele at Epaulet are great people and on top of great products, I just like doing business with them. Nothing against the owner of Howard Yount, from what I've heard, he's a pretty decent fellow.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good taste! You've obviously been paying valuable attention to people on these boards. I own all three and here is my breakdown:

1) Epaulet is best overall, great fabrics and construction. Others would charge twice as much for the same quality.
2) HY has great tropical wools in staple colors. My go to when too hot for EP
3) Inco is great too, but I don't think it is worth the jump to retail prices (unless you are an heir or tycoon or have some discount). Staple colors can be slow coming on the 'bay and B&S, so I only have them in FU colors like purple and bright yellow

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you rank quality of the cotton trousers?

crinklecut

Reaction score
The only thing stopping me from buying Epaulet pants is the 12.5" rise. As a shorter guy (5'8"), it's a bit much. I would like to see what they look like on a model who isn't over six feet tall.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 12.5" rise is measured unlike any other rise I've seen measured. I don't even know how they get it. It's closer to 10"

Horenste

Reaction score
I don't want to jump on your thread here, but do you not consider Unis' Chino to compare to these three brands?

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can someone explain the out of stock situation with Howrad Yount? How long is the weight if you put in an order?

Also, anyone purchase/own the super 120 flannel trouser?

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump....

How would you compare Epaulet Walt to Howard Yount Old Italian Cut in term of fit?

I currently own a few pairs of Epaulet Walt and are by far my favorite trousers fit wise.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good taste! You've obviously been paying valuable attention to people on these boards. I own all three and here is my breakdown:

1) Epaulet is best overall, great fabrics and construction. Others would charge twice as much for the same quality.
2) HY has great tropical wools in staple colors. My go to when too hot for EP
3) Inco is great too, but I don't think it is worth the jump to retail prices (unless you are an heir or tycoon or have some discount). Staple colors can be slow coming on the 'bay and B&S, so I only have them in FU colors like purple and bright yellow
Unless I am mistaken, HY and EP are made by the same manufacturer, so it would surprise me if there was a difference in quality due to construction. Stranger things have happened though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads