• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incorrect terminologies

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Suspenders are not braces with clips instead of buttons. Suspenders and braces are the same thing; the former term is American, the latter British.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MCA - I've been through the derivation of "Italian Collar" in another post.

matadorpoeta:
I should be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
We should be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
You would be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
They would be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
I shall use those phrases ...
We shall use those phrases
They will use those phrases
You will use those phrases.

En ingles, el verbo que es corecto cambia con la persona quien esta hablando. Por ejemplo, cuando la persona es el primero (I, We), el verbo es "shall". Cuando la persona es la tercera, el verbo es "will". Mucha gente tiene confusion en eso y la majoria piensan que el verbo no importa. La verdad es que, para la gente quien quieren protejar la lengua Ingles, este es importante. Intiende?

Edit: Damn - can't spell in any language.
Che tranquillo.

Jon.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suspenders are not braces with clips instead of buttons. Suspenders and braces are the same thing; the former term is American, the latter British.
Derivation?

s/ Confused owner of thousands of "suspender clips" and "brace buckles" ... so named in their country of origin ... Germany.

uriahheep

Reaction score
squarelargereagan8jx.gif
http://thoseshirts.com/reagan.html
squarelargecommies0dk.gif
http://thoseshirts.com/commies.html

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Derivation?
Not sure, but I'm sure it's an error. All of the old American sources refer to buttoning straps as "suspenders." Some occasionally say braces, and apologize for the apparent affectation of using a British term.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(Alexander Kabbaz @ Mar. 12 2005,19:55) Derivation?
Not sure, but I'm sure it's an error. Â All of the old American sources refer to buttoning straps as "suspenders." Â Some occasionally say braces, and apologize for the apparent affectation of using a British term.
Lest we forget... suspenders in the UK are what we Yankees call garters... not what most modern men want to cop to wearing...

MCA

Reaction score
MCA - I've been through the derivation of "Italian Collar" in another post.
Thank you Alex. I thought you were referring to your "Why Bespoke Shirts" thread: http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....5;st=60 But after skimming through it, my assumption was proven wrong. In this thread you wrote that the origin of the term "Italian collar" is not known. If you explained the derivation of the term in another thread that I missed, which differs from the one I provide, please indicate so, and if possible, the URL. Kind regards. PS: I didn't know Irish linen shirtings were available in such a wide range of qualities. Â The blue shirt pictured in the above thread is sheer (interlining shows through), whereas all the Irish linen shirtings I've seen are completely opaque.

StagRaven

Reaction score
Lest we forget... suspenders in the UK are what we Yankees call garters... not what most modern men want to cop to wearing...
I thought 'suspenders' were what I, and others in the military, refer to as 'shirt stays'. They hold the bottom of your shirt to your socks so that it does not come untucked. Hmmmm

uriahheep

Reaction score
MCA: I think that AK wrote that the shirt is made from summer-weight handkerchief linen. What you see "showing through" is probably not interlining but the fabric folded over on each side of the shirt front. Of course AK, the maker of the shirt, can answer authoritatively on the matter. What I've written is just my best guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads