Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Incorrect terminologies

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by uriahheep, Mar 12, 2005.

1. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

French blue: an incorrect translation of "bleu foncÃ[​IMG]?" (literally means "dark blue")
    People probably assume based on the pronunciation of "bleu foncÃ[​IMG]" that it's "bleu français?"

2. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Did you really ask for this? I shall, We shall, You will, They will - I can't Will until I die I should, We should, They would It is I ... it isn't me The Style Forum and AAAC are fora. Forums ... aren't. The front center of a shirt has or does not have a Placket The sleeve has or does not have a Gauntlet A Double cuff is, by nature, a detachable one A Folding or French cuff is often incorrectly referred to as a Double cuff A Broadcloth and a Poplin are the same thing in American and British, respectively I shall leave space for others to bloviate.

3. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

And we're off to a good start.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Maybe not a matter of terminology, but a myth all the same: the duke of Windsor neither invented nor wore the Windsor knot. He got bespoke ties with thick linings, that tied into big knots using a regular four-in-hand knot. Others used to the Windsor knot with regular ties to replicated the size of his knots. But of course they didn't really look the same, because the Windsor knot results in a bulbous, symetrical knot, wheras the four-in-hand, no matter how big, will always be narrower and asymetrical.

5. tdial

tdial Senior member

I guess "gorge" is often used incorrectly. I have heard many people use the word "gorge" when they are actually describing the button stance.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Cardigans look like this: [​IMG] Zip sweaters look like this: [​IMG] The terms are not interchangeable. Jon.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Richard James, Duncan Quinn, Thom Browne, Spencer Hart and Ozwald Boateng are not tailors but designers.

Bespoke does not mean completely handmade. In fact, any completely handmade suit would cost $30,000 or up, which is how much James and James was selling one for.

Derbies are not Oxfords.

I personally think wing collars with black tie are a solecism of the sartorial variety but that's my bias.

8. Manton

What, did they shear the sheep themselves and hand-weave the wool? Robbery. You can get a comepletely handsewn suit for much less. Whether there is a point to a handsewn straight seam is another question.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm sure you could get a completely hand made suit for less than that, but why would you really want to? There is something to be said for machined seams, they are an advantage in some key sections of a jackets / trousers construction.

Jon.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(RJMan @ Mar. 12 2005,18:34) In fact, any completely handmade suit would cost $30,000 or up, which is how much James and James was selling one for.
    What, did they shear the sheep themselves and hand-weave the wool? Robbery. You can get a comepletely handsewn suit for much less. Whether there is a point to a handsewn straight seam is another question.
    Damn you Manton. 2 seconds faster than I, how Machiavellian of you. Jon.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

thank you for the lesson mr. kabbaz. english was not my first language.

is this correct? can you please use your "should" and "would" examples in sentences?

12. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

Maybe Alex can prove me wrong, but I think the "Italian collar" terminology he uses for the casual collar without a band, at least in Europe, is not correct. It is a style that did not originate in Italy; in Europe it is known as pajama or American collar, and originated in England (some say France). Maybe it is known as Italian collar because some Italian immigrants during the '50's wore it; the same argument would explain why it is called "American collar" by some Italians, as the immigrants who adopted the style in the US returned back to their homeland.

13. Manton

According to Ernest, in France it is a Danton collar. [Shudder]

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Just call it the FEIA collar and be done with it.

Jon.

Edit: FEIA: French-English-Italian-American

15. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

MCA - I've been through the derivation of "Italian Collar" in another post.

matadorpoeta:
    I should be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
    We should be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
    You would be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
    They would be happy to use those phrases in a sentence.
    I shall use those phrases ...
    We shall use those phrases
    They will use those phrases
    You will use those phrases.

En ingles, el verbo que es corecto cambia con la persona quien esta hablando. Por ejemplo, cuando la persona es el primero (I, We), el verbo es "shall". Cuando la persona es la tercera, el verbo es "will". Mucha gente tiene confusion en eso y la majoria piensan que el verbo no importa. La verdad es que, para la gente quien quieren protejar la lengua Ingles, este es importante. Intiende?

Edit: Damn - can't spell in any language.