• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incorrect pricing by Crockett & Jones

Ivan Utkin

Reaction score
Hello,
I wonder if anybody can help me with the matter of incorrect pricing by Crockett & Jones official sales department.
I wrote a letter to them, indicating that I'm interested in buying either Finsbury or Finsbury 2 and asked them for price. That's what I've got:
"We have available and dispatch Finsbury £330 less Vat £275 plus £45 postage to you directly today."
Not a single word about Finsbury 2.
After I asked them twice if the price for Finsbury 2 is the same, they finally replied me positively.
When I sent my credit card details and confirmed the order they informed me that there was a mistake and the price for Finsbury 2 is £495 less VAT will be £413 plus shipping.

I was considering buying shoes from C&J website and the local shoe store, and since
I liked C&J offer more, I decided to choose them. Now, the local
store is out of stock and I can't even buy there shoes I've wanted to.

After I told them, that due to the unprofessional work of their assistant manager I was put in such an inconvenient situation and I believe that they must stick to the original price given I've received this:

We do apologise for the inconvenience, and it was misunderstanding as my colleague Ben thought that you were after the Finsbury in calf leather.

I am afraid that is the price we charge for our shoes, we can include few gift with your order for the inconvenience that we caused you.

That's really funny, because I've stated that I'm interested in Finsbury 2 (which is in shell cordovan) at least 2 times. It's just that the manager didn't even bother to check the price.
I thought that such a company must value their image a lot more than £138 (difference between these pairs of shoes), but it seems that I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm not going to put up with it. What would you recommend in this case?

By the way, I found this, wonder if it can help in my case:
The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
Commercial practices which are in all circumstances considered unfair
5. Making an invitation to purchase products at a specified price without disclosing the existence of any reasonable grounds the trader may have for believing that he will not be able to offer for supply, or to procure another trader to supply, those products or equivalent products at that price for a period that is, and in quantities that are, reasonable having regard to the product, the scale of advertising of the product and the price offered (bait advertising).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have you considered holding your breath and stamping your feet until you get what you want?

viator

Reaction score
I think you're overreacting. It sounds like an employee made a mistake, but that mistake was noticed before you were charged any money. I understand it is annoying to get your hopes up, but other than the miscommunication I don't think you have much of a reason to be upset. Also, you really should have known that the cordovan shoe would cost substantially more than the calf shoe, right?

Ivan Utkin

Reaction score
Also, you really should have known that the cordovan shoe would cost substantially more than the calf shoe, right?

Yes, I know that. That's why I consistently asked the assistant manager to give me the specified price for Finsbury 2 and it took 3 (!!!) letters to make him reply (all three were delivered). And it turns out that his reply is incorrect. How come that the manager who works at C&J doesn't know that the shell cordovan shoe is more expensive? I believe that if the sales manager is so outrageously incompetent he must pay for his incompetence.

viator

Reaction score

I believe that if the sales manager is so outrageously incompetent he must pay for his incompetence.

I disagree. I don't believe the fact that someone mistakenly quoted you a price somehow entitles you to 138 pounds' worth of free shoe.

When you were told the cordovan shoe would be the same price as the calf shoe, did you write back and say, "Are you sure? Isn't the cordovan more expensive?" Of course you didn't. You thought their oversight would be your windfall, and now you are upset that they have rectivied their oversight.

I

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ivan, you're being childish.

They certainly have no obligation to sell you the shoe at the lower price. They are human and made a mistake.

Even the regulation doesn't apply becuase there wasn't a caveat to the price (Like Get this shoe for £100 when you buy £1million of shoes) it was a flat out mistake which a company is only beholden to stand by after money has changed hands. They can do what ever they like to the price before you hand over the money.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People make mistakes. They already apologized. Don't be a ***** about it. You are an ass for demanding shell while paying only for calf.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

People make mistakes. They already apologized. Don't be a ***** about it. You are an ass for demanding shell while paying only for calf.

Onix, this is a good saying, and it should be used as a general phrase: "You are an ass for demanding shell while paying only for calf."

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have you considered holding your breath and stamping your feet until you get what you want?

I think you're overreacting. It sounds like an employee made a mistake, but that mistake was noticed before you were charged any money. I understand it is annoying to get your hopes up, but other than the miscommunication I don't think you have much of a reason to be upset. Also, you really should have known that the cordovan shoe would cost substantially more than the calf shoe, right?

I disagree. I don't believe the fact that someone mistakenly quoted you a price somehow entitles you to 138 pounds' worth of free shoe.
When you were told the cordovan shoe would be the same price as the calf shoe, did you write back and say, "Are you sure? Isn't the cordovan more expensive?" Of course you didn't. You thought their oversight would be your windfall, and now you are upset that they have rectivied their oversight.
I

Ivan, you're being childish.
They certainly have no obligation to sell you the shoe at the lower price. They are human and made a mistake.
Even the regulation doesn't apply becuase there wasn't a caveat to the price (Like Get this shoe for £100 when you buy £1million of shoes) it was a flat out mistake which a company is only beholden to stand by after money has changed hands. They can do what ever they like to the price before you hand over the money.

Onix, this is a good saying, and it should be used as a general phrase: "You are an ass for demanding shell while paying only for calf."

:nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding::nodding:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ since I'm in a hunt for some shell at the moment, can I ask permission from Onix for this worthy sig... :)

Mandres

Reaction score

Anyway, I'm not going to put up with it. What would you recommend in this case?

Recommend you adjust your panties and relax. The fact that you're trying to trash the reputation of a well known manufacturer and getting mocked should give you an idea what intelligent people think of customers like you.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think OP is being that unreasonable. It would be to start threatening legal action, but nothing wrong attempting to convince a vendor to honor their own mistake. Of course when all niceness fails, just let it go rather than becoming less gentlemanly about it. At that point, just pay for the shell. It's the same price you would have paid for at the store anyway, and even if you wanted to support your local store, that they sold out of your size is indication they're doing just fine.

Gerry

Reaction score
Here is an idea, why dont you pay the same price for the item as everybody else does and be glad you can afford to. Why did you ask them twice about the price of the Finsbury 2, I suspect you knew well that the quote you got was wrong, I say this because everybody knows shell cordovan is more expensive than calf and not the same price. We all make mistakes in life, let it go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads